Armored Company Or Steel Legion Or...tanks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to make a 2nd army, DE being my first. I like IG, although the amount of figures is staggering, but i guess, i'll have to deal cause i love IG. I also love the Armored Co./steel legion idea, but i keep hearing stuff like SL and AC is discontinued/cheesy/broken/illegal/horrible now in 4th ed. I dont' know who to listen to, so i guess i'll just ask the men (and women) who know best. So, is it worth my time and money to invest in AC or SL or Mechanized forces....in 4th...or is it just a money sink that'll never win with so many vehicles on table..it'll just be a Lascannon target and ntohing more. I'd like some hard evidence here, maybe you've had experience, maybe you've played against it, maybe you have a list you could share. I'd appreciate any and all help you could give me. Thanks.

It is living and ceasing to live that are imaginary solutions. Existence is elsewhere. - Andre Breton

"this coffin already has a body, thank you very much. we have coffins empty for sale."- me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I love tanks myself, and I have seen Armoured Company do really well in tournaments, but they won't allow it at some tournaments either. I like the fluff and idea of Armageddon, and Steel Legion, but although I havn't played it, I don't see that it could be that winnable.

The rules for transports and entanglement mean that if your Chimura gets cracked, you don't shoot for a couple of turns. On a penetrating hit, you have to disembark and are entangled. Then if you want to use the wreck as cover, you have to move back into it, and wait another turn to shoot your heavy weopon.

I would like to be wrong, and maybe someone else has played it effectivly, but I think it would be difficult to win.

Our local Tourney lets us use Armoured CO. and I am definatly think of using it.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One frustrating thing about armoured company, you can't see through your tanks. While it doesn't seem like much it can mean it would be difficult to bring a lot of your firepower to bear at times. Also armoured company means many traffic jams unless you play with no scenery. On top of that, while a leman russ is powerful and effective in an IC, in an AC, its effectiveness seems to drop dramatically(and you WILL learn to hate scatter dice ). All this i know from about 10 annoying games with AC. In conclusion, I'm not discouraging anyone from playing it, but just because you have 10 pie plates doesn't mean you will win very easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Armored Company. True, some ppl will cry out cheese... but this is simply because they did not put enough anti tank in there army list. a balaned army has a good chance at beating an AC if they use cover, spread out, and have some tank poping guns.

so if you really like tanks, then AC could be the way to go.

me? personally, i like the poor old joe. the humble footslogger is where i'm at. granted, tanks are fun (i have a bunch), but if you're really want to experince IG, then field over 100 infantry.

mechanized can be fun. true, the rumor is that Steel Legion is discontinued, but taht doesn't mean you can't make a Mechanized force. Cadian plastics work just as well!

and mechanized is a breeze to set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you don't have to mount your infantry in the chimeras at all times. Keeping them next to each other means it are two targets, that you have more firepower and that both units cannot be destroyed by one lucky shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Has anyone played Steele Legion ( Mechanized ), or something close to it? What are its tactics? Drawbacks?

It is very tempting to see how it would do. Revin did an interesting post a while back about adding Cameoline to his troops in the Chimura's. I would be a pain for many armies to play against
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive played Guard for about 6 months now, and I have finally collected enough Chimera's to be able to field the smallest legal Guard list (about 1000 points).

My list has 5 chimeras and a basilisk, thats an infantry platoon a command HQ and an Armored Fist squad.

They arent kidding when they say its easy to set up! Its also a bit intimidating for your opponent. Ive played two mechanized games and I won the first against another Guard army, and lost to some Black Templar (I beat the crap out of them but didn't take the objective in time, should have won&#33

The downside consists of:

-Chimeras can be expensive (bought most of mine, crappily painted, off ebay)
    -Chimeras are not the best armored of tanks
    -Low overall model count for an IG force, cannot stand heavy losses
    -In my limited experience, everything goes your way or you die a horrible death, not much room for mistakes in strategy (including deployment&#33
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

GuardinGnome,

Do you leave the troops behind, or do you shoot from the open top? I guess spreading out would help in the beginning as well?

Let us know how it goes.

I have a mental list that includes 5 Chimeras, A Russ, Bassie, One Reg Platoon w/Missle Launchers, Two small squads of Stomies, Vets and A Heavy Weopon HQ choice with Lascannons. Not completly Mech, but hopefully same effect.

Cheers!
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY I PLAY STEEL LEGION AND ANY PLAYER HATES SEEING ALL THOSE CHIMERAS, and they are kickass models, also they are very mobile anbd can move around
    The Predator Lingers forth. Suddenly the sound of several wipping sounds can be heard far off into the distance, a second later the once mighty Predator ignited with flames. "Sir what was that" The srgt replied "Its those damn Broadsides"

Hear the wip, fear the Broadside.
    Tau 2-2
    Guard 26-45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far Ive been leaving my troops in the Chimeras for as long as possible. I just hop out when theres a nice building or piece of terrain that I can control.

I play mostly on a ruined city board so controlling buildings is always good for me, not to mention its often an objective.

Its a pretty big advantage to be able to stack your entire army on the edge of your deployment zone, move 12 inches on the first turn and then launch smoke grenades for relative safety.

I usually have atleast two squads that are capable of tank hunting, which usually end up on the flanks. I move every chimera atleast 6 inches every turn so I get the most out of them either through firing 3 multi laser shots + 3 Hvy Bolter shots a turn, or by going all out and advancing right into their ranks and tank shocking like crazy.

You'll find Chimeras (barring terrible luck or horrible tactics) usually live just long enough to be useful.

Most of the games I play are friendly, but you can really psych your opponent out when all he sees are transports and dosn't know whats inside which Chimera. Im going to try taking an Ogryn squad the next chance I get to play a large point battle. I know my friend will be thinking "Here comes some more tank shocking" and then BAM! Out hops a bunch of ogryn right into his lines. Just make sure to note on your list which squad is in which Chimera, so your opponent cant accuse you of switching things against him.

EDIT: Dont forget to fire those hull mounted lasguns each turn! They always count as stationary (24" inch range, or rapid fire) so drive right at your target, fire your main tank guns and then rapid fire to add insult to injury! Next turn hop out, tank shock and if they dont break. then rapid fire AGAIN!
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast