New Sm Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Sm Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, my freind just introduced me to warhammer 40k. I started to buy models yesterday at the local GW, and the staff suggested that i start with the Space Marines. I am just wondering, what additions should i make to my current set to play maybe 500-1000 point battle? I currently have the tatical squad (10 marines). I'm kind of on a tight-ish budget, seeing as warhammer seems to be an expensive game to play. I dont get an allowance and I dont have a job yet (14 years old). On ebay, i am looking into buying the sprues for the Battle for Macragge (sp?) which has another 10 marines. On another note, should i get that sprue set? Thanks for any help

cshendude

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont get to much stuff off ebay...bad things can happen.

as for starting get the new command box and fully understand the game before you bulid your troops and your commander.

so here is a list.

-command box http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...1032&orignav=10

-Tactical squad (if you have one already that is fine for now DO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE YET IF YOU HAVE ONE) http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...1004&orignav=10
    -
    Scout squad http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...1088&orignav=10

and of course one of these babies( you can never go without a dreadnought)
    - dreadnoughthttp://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.oz?do=Individual&code=99120101014&orignav=10

oh and well this
    -space marine codex (cant work without this!!&#33http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...1006&orignav=10

now do not go out and making these first figure out wich chapter you want to have. the units i have just put up there are sutable for almost any chapter.
    there are 4 main chapters

-Ultramarines( these guys follow the codex and are simple to use and they have no special rules and are in my opinion good for a first timer, these guys are an all round chapter)

-Blood angels (these guys lost there primarch in the horous heresy and are friggen awsome they have loads of special rules and have another codex book you have to use, nothing but close combat for these babies.)

- Dark angels (these guys have a dark past and they have 2 very specail companyies and they also have ther own codex. they are shooty ish)

-Space Wolves( well there name says alot about these pups and they are like blood angels in the sense of close combat.)

there are thousands of chapters and so before you put these guys together spend time at your local store talking to the staff to help you with everything and make sure you know the rules of the game and all that stuff and make sure you understand the Chapter/codex because if you dont well your gonna bung up your army like i did.

and spend time putting your models together at Games Workshop because they are very good at helping...
    P.S. Blood angels rule, the anger lets us ignore wounds ...hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good solid advice there from dunno. The first thing you need is a rule book, these are quite expensive but until you understand its content you will have a hard time winning any games.

40k is a hobby, not just a game. Take your time planning what you want to collect, build, paint and play with. Once you have the 4th Ed Rule Book and a copy of Codex: Space Marine you can start writing lists of what you want to buy and considering your options. Be careful not to buy too many models on impulse - I have spent literally hundreds of pounds on models that will never make it to the table.

The Battle For Macragge sprues are not the best models out there. They are limited in how you can pose them and very basic. The rest of your army will come to despise them. :hmm:

I buy most of my models from eBay, but you need to be sure what it is your bidding on and how much it is worth - again, be careful. There are independent retailers that sell GW toys cheaper then GW, NU Gaming is a good one if your in the UK.

With Xmas coming up hopefully your family will take the hints that you have been dropping and will buy you loads of Space Marine models. Unless Santa thinks you have been really bad this year, you should be well on your way to your first Combat Patrol force (400 points).

Good luck.
    Biggs Hancock

By the blood of Sanguinius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harsh, but fair :hmm:
    Harsh, and censor bypassing.

W/D/L

Dwarfs 1/0/0 (Reset due to new rules)

Space Marines 0/0/0 (still under construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by FlatFeet@Dec 5 2004, 20:34
    Harsh, and censor bypassing.
    [snapback]265836[/snapback]
    ahhh good old censor bypassing...ahhhh
    P.S. Blood angels rule, the anger lets us ignore wounds ...hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll probably wont buy the battle for maccragge sprues anymore ^_^ . Dunno, that sounds ike a great way to start my army, I'll have to look for those models on the internet for a while. And wow, your right, the rule book costs like 40 bucks and the space marine codex 20 :closedeyes: . Ah well, guess its time to start my christmas wishlisting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should buy the Battle of Macragge set. Here's why:

You get the 40k rulebook, minus all of the fluff, painting guides, and non-standard game types.
    You get another 10 space marines, that look great for being plastic (you should have seen the 2nd edition box set marines; I'm still using a squad of them even today&#33
    You get the dice you will need.
    You get measuring sticks to measure distances.
    You get some nice terrain.
    You get some Tyranid models to sell to a friend, on ebay, or start a tyranid army.
    All for around $40 off the internet (I bought mine on ebay new for $36, but you can find stores selling it online for around $40. Just do a Google search). I bought mine just for the dice and rulebook, and sold off the rest on ebay for over $50 total. Free rulebook and dice, with some extra gas money.

The hardcover rulebook by itself is also $40, with only 1/3 of it being rules, and probably 95% of the games you will play will (all of the games I play) use only this 1/3, which is included in the Battle of Macragge set.

You decide how your money can be best spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LittleWing@Dec 5 2004, 09:52
    You should buy the Battle of Macragge set. Here's why:

You get the 40k rulebook, minus all of the fluff, painting guides, and non-standard game types.
    You get another 10 space marines, that look great for being plastic (you should have seen the 2nd edition box set marines; I'm still using a squad of them even today&#33
    You get the dice you will need.
    You get measuring sticks to measure distances.
    You get some nice terrain.
    You get some Tyranid models to sell to a friend, on ebay, or start a tyranid army.
    All for around $40 off the internet (I bought mine on ebay new for $36, but you can find stores selling it online for around $40. Just do a Google search). I bought mine just for the dice and rulebook, and sold off the rest on ebay for over $50 total. Free rulebook and dice, with some extra gas money.

The hardcover rulebook by itself is also $40, with only 1/3 of it being rules, and probably 95% of the games you will play will (all of the games I play) use only this 1/3, which is included in the Battle of Macragge set.

You decide how your money can be best spent.
    [snapback]266004[/snapback]
    Yes, get this .

It is really helpful to have all the stuff in this set. YOu get everything you need to start. Infact, if you buy an HQ blister and this, you will have your mandatory two troops choices and an HQ choice to play.

So for you to buy, or for your christmas list, I would suggest:

-Battle For Macragge Boxed Set
    -Space Marine Chaplain (in blister pack). I suggest starting with a chaplain as your first HQ. He is awesome in small games.
    -Space Marine Dreadnaught.

Ask for them in that order . I don't know how much money you have to be spent on you this year, but get them in the order I listed them if you can.

-SK
    <u>Army: W/L/T</u>

<span style='color:green'>Dark Angels</span>: <span style='color:red'>20/3/0</span>
    <span style='color:gray'>Daemonhunters: </span> <span style='color:red'>Under Construction</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Minas Tirith</span> <span style='color:red'>1/0/0</span>

+ Reply to Thread