My Propsosal For Anti-sm! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Hoping to get some expert analysis on my quickly drawn up 1,500 point army designed to take out heavily armoured opponents.

Feel free to ridicule!

Here goes:

THE 51st BRIMLOCK BRIGADIERS

They are from a wealthy hub-world were the armed forces have the highest quality equipment (shown by carapace armour) and are renowned for their accuracy with special and heavy weapons (veterans doctrine). They will be Cadian models as I think they provide the easiest model to convert into carapace armour. They will be coloured with Scab Red armour, Chaos Black cloth with Shadow Grey explosions bordered with Scab Red.

Doctrines:
    Carapace Armour
    Veterans

HQ:
    Command Platoon (111 points)
    - 4 Guardsmen with Carapace Armour, 2 Plasma Guns, and a Lascannon.
    - Junior Officer with Carapace Armour, Bolt Pistol, and a Power Weapon.

Elites:
    Hardened Veterans (166 points)
    - 9 Veterans with Carapace Armour, 3 Plasma Guns, and a Lascannon.
    - Veteran Sergeant with Carapace Armour, Bolt Pistol, and a Power Weapon.

Hardened Veterans (166 points)
    - 9 Veterans with Carapace Armour, 3 Plasma Guns, and a Lascannon.
    - Veteran Sergeant with Carapace Armour, Bolt Pistol, and a Power Weapon.

Troops:
    Infantry Platoon:
    Command Squad (101 points)
    - 4 Guardsmen with Carapace Armour, Plasma Gun, and a Lascannon.

1st Infantry Squad (100 points)
    - 9 Guardsmen with Carapace Armour, Plasma Gun, and a Heavy Bolter.
    - Sergeant with Carapace Armour, and a Lasgun.

2nd Infantry Squad (100 points)

Infantry Platoon:
    Command Squad (101 points)
    - 4 Guardsmen with Carapace Armour, Plasma Gun, and a Lascannon.

3rd Infantry Squad (100 points)

4th Infantry Squad (100 points)

Heavy Support:
    Leman Russ (165 points)
    Equipped with Hull-Mounted Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Side Sponsons.

Leman Russ Vanquisher (190 points)
    Equipped with Hull-Mounted Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Side Sponsons.

Basilisk (100 points)

TOTAL = 1,500 points

So that's 14 Plasma Guns (6 being shot by BS 4) for the SM troops. 7 Lascannons (2 being shot by BS 4) for the SM Tanks, Dreadnoughts etc. 5 Heavy Bolters and 4 Side Sponson Heavy Bolters for anything else that is still alive. And to finsh them off completely, Battle Cannon and Earthshaker Cannon. The Vanquisher will also be able to take out a Landraider from long-range if one crops up!

Also it seemed a good idea to have carapace armour since I would be mowed down by Str 4 AP 5 bolters freqeuntly!

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed, I have never ever played 40k before so this build could be flawed severely for all I know! I have a rough knowledge of the rules (v. hard learning both games at once esp. with changes recently).

"No single man should have the power to crush the lives of his people. It is our duty, being free from the cruel reign of the Emporer, to liberate the peoples of the Imperium from His iron grip! Let them choose their leader! Let them join the Confederation! Let us dethrone the false Emporer and unite under the banner of Freedom!" - Karl Lindbergh, President of the C.I.S., Speech on Justice VI
    'The old lie; To die for your Emporer is a wonderful and glorious honour.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you might want to replace some of the heavy bolters with auto cannons instead. Why? against SM armor heavy bolters go "ping ping ping" with auto cannons you will get less fire power but then again in an 1500pt army you still drastically outnumber the sms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose The autocannons would be effective against Land Speeders (Av 10 therefore requiring 3+ to cause damage), but they are no match for a Lascannon when facing tougher opponents with Av 13 or 14. I think I will add one to take out walkers and speeders, therefore letting my lascannons focus on the real threat.

Thanks for the advise, I will get rid of a 2 PWs and replace 2 HB with ACs.
    "No single man should have the power to crush the lives of his people. It is our duty, being free from the cruel reign of the Emporer, to liberate the peoples of the Imperium from His iron grip! Let them choose their leader! Let them join the Confederation! Let us dethrone the false Emporer and unite under the banner of Freedom!" - Karl Lindbergh, President of the C.I.S., Speech on Justice VI
    'The old lie; To die for your Emporer is a wonderful and glorious honour.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although Rhinos is less of a threat in 4th edition you could consider taking some autocannons to take out transports. They work good against trucks and raiders etc too.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anti marine..... i personally like roughriders with hunting lances... can wipe out a marine squad on the charge ..... also I think Schaeffers last chancers make good anti marines (1 man demo charge sub units deepstrike = wheres my squad gone ) oh and all the heavy weapons you can give them at bs4 (Y)
    Awwww no I opened my drawer and took out some old warhammer models then tried too put them back in and close the drawer but couldn't, damn the stupid black hole = free OOP models for Brettonia due too not being able too squeeze them back in my drawer >_<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I would add some other doctorines that may help you be for effective.

First add Drop troops, and give one or two of you vet squads, three Melta&#39;s and drop em in around some tanks. I blew up a Landraider the other day like this.

Add Special Weopon Squads Doctorine, and Drop troop a couple of Demolishion Charge Squads in cheap.

Add Close Order Drill, why its free, and if you troops are in base to base, they will have the same initiative as Marines, and hit the same time.

Even though you are taking Carapace Doctorine, you don&#39;t have to use it on every squad. You can add Cameoline to some of your squads instead, and in some cases get a 3+ cover save. Use cover whenever possible.

I personally would add Light Infantry as well, even though most Marines seem to have adopted it as well now. It is good for getting good lines of fire, and spreading your troops out.

I totally agree with adding more Autocannons.

I would also add Master Vox to Command Squad, and Vox to each squad. Its cheap, and keeps your guys from failing as many Leadership test and running away. You will need to upgrade your JO to a HSO tough, unless you add a Commissar to your command.

I have a Vanquisher, and love it against Marines that have a Landraider, but it to many points for anything else.

Your list is pretty good though, you should do well.

Kill Smurfs&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the impression that if any squad has an equipment upgrade then all units that can have that upgrade must.

Also how can I defend against troops teleport/drop pod. Should I upgrade JO to HSO and give him a PF, or is this a waste of points that could more effectively be used elsewhere?

As a side note I made a seperate list with the Grenadiers, allow Stormstoopers and Veterans doctrines. I had 3 Hardened Veteran Squads identical to the ones above, with 3 Stromtrooper Squads w/ 2 Plasma Guns. Better Ballistic skill and I only have 10 men less than before. With points left over I got a Sentinel with Autocannon.

Is this change better (Y) or for worse (N)?
    &quot;No single man should have the power to crush the lives of his people. It is our duty, being free from the cruel reign of the Emporer, to liberate the peoples of the Imperium from His iron grip&#33; Let them choose their leader&#33; Let them join the Confederation&#33; Let us dethrone the false Emporer and unite under the banner of Freedom&#33;&quot; - Karl Lindbergh, President of the C.I.S., Speech on Justice VI
    &#39;The old lie; To die for your Emporer is a wonderful and glorious honour.&#39;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carapace Armor, like other equipment upgrades, has to be given to every squad in the army list that can take it. One of the most idiotic things in the Codex and totally ridiculous IMO but that is the rule.

As for an anti-marine army, there is good advice in this thread. I fight Blood Angels all the time. The idea about deepstriking veterans with a lot of melta weapons is a good one.

One thing, IMO there really is no reason to take an Autocannon against marines. It gets two shots and can possibly hurt a dreadnaught but against the marine troops the Heavy Bolter has a better chance of wounding.

HEAVY BOLTER - 3 shots, 50% chance to hit, 66% chance to wound. Average 1 wound per turn

AUTOCANNON - 2 shots, 50% chance to hit, 5/6 chance to wound. Average .83 wounds per turn.

This is the reason I only take one autocannon in my "anti-marine" IG list. And I use it to shoot at Land speeders (works great for that&#33;&#33 and dreads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Bronco Johnny@Dec 7 2004, 19:54
    One thing, IMO there really is no reason to take an Autocannon against marines. It gets two shots and can possibly hurt a dreadnaught but against the marine troops the Heavy Bolter has a better chance of wounding.
    [snapback]268143[/snapback]
    True, but it&#39;s the best weapon against rhino&#39;s and speeders we&#39;ve got. Also good against bikes. Tacticals can be taken out by other weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SatorMortis@Dec 8 2004, 09:45
    True, but it&#39;s the best weapon against rhino&#39;s and speeders we&#39;ve got. Also good against bikes. Tacticals can be taken out by other weapons.
    [snapback]268984[/snapback]
    Against anything above toughness 4, the Autocannon is the way to go, otherwise the extra shot you get with the heavy bolter makes it an unwise choice.

It is also worthy of note that when shooting at vehicles with an AV13 the Autocannon and krak missile launcher have the same chance of damage. The moral of the story being that the missile launcher is worthless unless you are using it for the flexibility it affords against troops such as scouts (frag missile).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast