Stormtroopers & Sentinels, Am I Weird? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently, I have decided that I dislike normal infantry platoons. Even though they are dirt cheap, I find their usefulness limited. Instead I have started fielding only Stormtroopers as troops (per Grenadiers), Hardened Veterans as my elites (multiple units per Veterans doctrine) and a crapload of Sentinels when possible. With the advent of moving rapid fire weapons in 4th Ed., Storm Troopers and HV back up by some sentinels and heavy weapon squads work very well. Am I fool to sink points only into the expensive troops, and missing out on the massed tactics of IG?

Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I do! My 1500 points consists of 3 HV units and 2 Grenadiers, backed up by a Sentinel Squad, Basilisk, Vanquisher and Leman Russ. The problem with this is that you have so few many (that aren't that "elite" when fighting tougher opponents) so I have a block of 40 conscripts to soak up damage.

Doctrines I use = Carapace Armour, Grenadiers, Veterans, Allow Stormtroopers, Allow Conscripts.
    "No single man should have the power to crush the lives of his people. It is our duty, being free from the cruel reign of the Emporer, to liberate the peoples of the Imperium from His iron grip! Let them choose their leader! Let them join the Confederation! Let us dethrone the false Emporer and unite under the banner of Freedom!" - Karl Lindbergh, President of the C.I.S., Speech on Justice VI
    'The old lie; To die for your Emporer is a wonderful and glorious honour.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you run a normal Infantry platoon? I only ask because you can't have a conscript platoon without a normal infantry platoon.
    Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I am doing the same as well for two squads. By the time you take a regular troop, add Carapace, Frag, Krak Grenades, he is the same, and doesn't have as good a BS! I like two Plasma Rifles in each for the Chimura Squads, and two Melta Guns in the two 5 man Elite Deep Strike Squads.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a crapload of Sentinels when possible
    amen.

they may not always be "good" but it's worth feilding a few sqadrons just for the aestetic value.

I understand your dislike for infantry platoons, when I first started playing, one of my biggest problems was finding a basic troop choice that i didn't actually mind feilding, and without a lot of unique fluff behind them, infantry platoons are NOT that squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

wow. i have to say i am the complete opposite. i *love* my infantry platoons! besides being fluffy (a group of grunts with one officer and a chest full of gutts to keep them fighting), they are the *heart* of IG. it is for the ability to bring the guns, that makes them so important.

Stormies are great for DSing, but Grenadiers (imo) are very poor for their points. for 10pts you get a weakened SoB. Tau get FWs for 10, and they're (imo) a much much better buy.

as for the fact that if you add frag/krak/carapace to a guardsmen you get more points than a grenadier... yes this is true... but who the hell gives their guardsmen frag/krak/carapace? ... ppl who should just be using grenadiers .. that's who.

the purpose of guardsmen is to provide the core firebase. and to be meat for your heavyweapons/special weapons. but primarly heavyweapons, for they're (imo) the main strength of IG, and HW cannot be taken by grenadiers.

i love stormies, they're alot of fun. but the average joe with a lasgun and a flakjacket is where my heart is at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am a beleaver in infantry platoons. Especially since the new rapid fire rules, people respect a platoon... especially when its holding 3 lascannons At first I used grenadiers but later found out the true power of Guard is mass line squads backed by heavy tanks. Not to say that grenediers and storm troopers is wrong but try deepstriking 80+ models into your opponents side and see what he thinks of "flashlights" then.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please don't mistake me, I'm not suggesting that grenadiers are "good," or that infantry platoons are "bad." far from it! a traditionall guard list is often filled to the brim with infantry, and anyone that takes them lightly is in for a shock... I just don't like feilding joe schmoe grunt. my main reason for this is that I like each of my models to be unique, I have thus far not made a single model without some level of conversion, and there are just too many guardsmen to do that with.

feilding grenadiers/ sentinals/ etc. is a very different way to play guard, and I like different. these units might be a little costly for what they do, but that, combined with the limits force organization places on them, makes each one individually important.oh yeah, and who can resist giveng a unit or two shotguns and feilding them as adeptus arbites?

btw. i still preffer feilding joe schmoe grunt to joe schmoe space marine, but that is also a just personall preference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I've Played them both ways now, and while the Mounted Grenadiers are expensive, you need your best troops to be in there to take out a target. I mostly play against SM, Choas, and Necrons and with the new SM Rules with these little 5 man Tac squad, we need a little flexibily, and wether you play one Chimura, or three, they can help out. I still like Line shooting squads at the back blasting away, but a couple of "Glory Boy" squads taking out special infiltrating tagets is a help. Either way can be effective, it just a matter of style.

One thing for sure when I play SMs my best friends are: Bassie, Russ and Demolisher!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

i can understand the feeling of the grunts being ... non unique... they have a way of become .. bland after the 111th .. but it's my goal to *eventually* have all my guys "jazzed" up a bit. with lil bitz here, custom battle damage there, etc

but it will take a long time...

hell i even wanna *eventually* have every man's name on his base! lol

"oh no they killed Ken'thor!"

+ Reply to Thread