Non-indirect Firing Basilisk (or Direct Firing?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have yet to buy a Basilisk, as tanks are expensive and I like to "proxy" them for a few games to make sure I want one before I actually buy the model. However, in my limited experience, it isn't worth the 25 points for the indirect fire. I mean, in some situations I can see it being VERY useful, but as a whole, the extra points a bit of a waste. Keeping it "hulled down" (which I believe is still a rule...) keeps it pleny safe for me. Even if it goes down in the 2nd or 3rd turn, I generally has done plenty of damage for the saving of 25 points.

Perhaps I'm just nuts. I can see where many people would disagree, but is anyone in my camp on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Nope!
    I definatly love the Indirect Fire, and for twenty five points is cheap for what you get. I find plenty of situations, especially in the first 2 or three turns where the Bassie gets good targets it can't see. Then when everything gets in close we can pop out and shoot direct. Also, plenty of other players are using Whilwinds/Defilers to do the same as us, so this lets us fight back.

Bassies are are also so week, 12f 10s 10r, and open topped. Side shot from a rapid firing bolter squad would kill it. If you are going to play direct fire, I would much prefer a Regular Russ.

With the new rules, hull down isn't nearly as good either.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

the *purpose* of the bassie is for the ability to fire indirect. w/out this ability it is merely a VERY fragile Leman Russ...

25pts is a bargin. the ability to threaten hidden enemy units and the sheer terror/frustration it causes is awsome.

and if you ever leave your bassie *in* LOS of the enemy (even if it is "hull-down" = obscured), it's d.e.a.d. (fyi hull-down no longer exists, it's "obscured" now, and it only works 50% of the time).

no, the only way to use bassies (imo) is w/ the hull down option. if you really don't see the point in an indirect firing bassie, just get another Russ instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..even if there is no suitible terrain, I just plant my Russ infront of my basilisk . People always knock how its min range for indirect is only 36"... well the same guy who gave me dirt got owned by two bassie shots and moved his devestator squad twice to get under range...25 pts well spent? i'd say so. Indirect fire brings the enemy to you, allowing you to set him up in a "range like" practice for your army.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even though i have a ork army, my looted tank of choice is the basilisk. i find that making that decision is based on who you are facing. if my tank is going to be a juicy target, then i give it Indirect firing. if i think i can get away with it in the open, then i spend the points elsewhere.
    it all depends (in my view) who you are facing and wiether or not thier weapons can pick off your baslisk quickly.
    wWWwwAaaaAAgggGGGhHHHhhh!!!! = DeAth

+ Reply to Thread