Versatile Tac Squad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the really cool trait "And Take the Fight to them" says that ANY model can take a free BP + CCW. does that mean that a 10-man Tac Sqaud can be half bolters and half CC? And will it really work well? I mean, look. That squad, outfitted well, can:
    1. charge into 12" range and fire both the pistols and rapid-fire bolters + any special weapons.
    2. charge into 6", fire BPs and assault weapons (I like the flamer for this), then smash into the enemy in hand2hand with a considerable no. of attacks.
    3. stay back and shoot, waiting for the enemy to come closer, then do step 2.

Does this make the most versatile squad on earth? Or is it just wasting some firepower? :ph34r:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Space Wolf packs have long been able to do this, at the loss of being able to take a heavy weapon, so I have had the chance to try out various combinations of bolters and BP/CCW. I feel that splitting your squad that way makes them a jack of all trades, but master of none. So they can do what you suggest, but they are weak to ineffective in either role. I found it much better to have two squads, one with BP/CCW and the other with bolters. Then each squad takes on a dedicated role and is much more effective. You just have to plan your attacks to take advantage of each squad's strength. My opinion is use multiple squads to take on multiple roles and don't split your squad's strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to put my tactical squad in one role, and keep it that way. But, in very small points games, I might make an exception and do the above idea.

But, normally, Tactical Squads are very flexible, yes, but there's a limit to what they can do. And if you have them doing too much, they'll fail miserably at everything. So, I say focus on one mission and stick with it.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think such a squad would be more of a "back-up" in the higher-point games where you can spare the points.
    shoot there, charge there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO you have just described the very essence of the tactical squad. After all for heavy hard hitting firepower there is the Devestator's, and for assult, well Assult squads rule. Mixing the weapons on a tactical squad is just carrying it one step further. Just look at the Veteran squad for your proof.
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

why not just take Trust Your Battle Brother? all bolters and some nice H2H ability.

but, you could just ask Chaos players, they've had the ability to give their squads bp/ccw's for a while.

+ Reply to Thread