Which Type Of Army To Take? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member chickenpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    3rd planet from Sol, presumably
    Age
    26
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    I'm faced with the tough choice of whether to start a CC or a Shooty army(or a 50/50 mix? ) First things first. I've got already:
    1.10 man tac squad (standard boxed set)
    2.Blood Claw squad(without the SW stuff, fortunately. Wish I hadn't been so hasty buying this... )

    So how do I expand to 1000pts? I'm planning for a Chaplain;what else?
    Background info:
    I really wanted a shooty army with 3rd ed. But now, look at "Take the fight to them" and various traits...Stumped.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LO Zealot th0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    9 (x3)

    I'd go with assault...but then again I do play BA. All I can say is from playing Eldar, Necron, Imperial Guard and now BA that cc is the way to go. I think at the very least your army needs something near unbeatible in cc like a chaplain with an assault squad.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

    Warseer Blood Bowl League

  4. #3
    Senior Member chickenpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    3rd planet from Sol, presumably
    Age
    26
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    Originally posted by 311@Dec 16 2004, 147
    I'd go with assault...but then again I do play BA. All I can say is from playing Eldar, Necron, Imperial Guard and now BA that cc is the way to go.
    [snapback]277256[/snapback]
    Thanks but wouldn't you get ripped apart by Nids, 311? But then shooty would lose to Tau...
    Never mind. Chaplain, right? I'd sure get one.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Cypher-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, N.C.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x1)

    Actually, you'd think otherwise, but i've seen 'nids get absolutely hammered by BA and SW. Even SM assault forces can lay down a sickening hail of fire. I've found them to be the most well-rounded forces out there when it comes down to beating the most opponents. Shooty will get you through some stuff, but you'll have a better chance if you can actually contend with those big, beefy CC units when they get to you, heh.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding


    Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

  6. #5
    LO Zealot th0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    9 (x3)

    Cypher hit it right on the head. While all my squads have vet sgts and do a nice job in cc, each has a heavy weapon (usually a ML) and a special weapon (usually plasma). Combined with land speeders and the like and I can sit and shoot untill the time comes when I wanna get off my butt (usually when I can get an effective death company charge in). Honestly thats why I started BA, best of two worlds.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

    Warseer Blood Bowl League

  7. #6
    Senior Member Lamenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Age
    40
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

    Originally posted by chickenpowder@Dec 16 2004, 00:38
    Thanks but wouldn't you get ripped apart by Nids, 311? But then shooty would lose to Tau...
    Never mind. Chaplain, right? I'd sure get one.
    [snapback]277269[/snapback]
    I would suggest an allround force. A shooty bit and an assault bit. I usually have a devastator squad or two and either a whirlwind or Vindicator. two or three tactical squads with missile launcher and plasma gun. I usually add a character with a jumppack and an Assault squad. (that is in 1500 points).

    The key to success with SM that are based on UM rules is flexibility. I have roughly 5000 points of stuff to chose from. and I mainly play 1500 points battles. that means I can set up an army specifically for every opponent.

    In addition I would like to say, that a shooty SM army will have very good chances to win against Tau. I did that more than once. Lascannons and Whirlwinds work rather nicely... It is a bit easier if you have 20+ assault marines, though
    Shut up and play.

  8. #7
    LO Zealot Chaosbrynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

    I play a shooty army with 1 or 2 effective CC squads. I find you only really run into a problem when you totally neglect one of the two. Space marines work best if you keep them moderatelly rounded.

    As to what to buy next, I would definatelly go with a devastator squad. Tactically speaking, with what you already have in mind, a Devastator squad will offer you the most power and flexibility for the points.

    As a second option I would reccomend bikes. Many people do not like them but they are an extremelly well rounded unit. Dont underestimate 5 TL bolters and 2 melta guns in rapid fire range. By the same token, they may not get a second attack in CC for an extra weapon but that 5 toughness will keep emm around for a turn or 2 longer. Add to that how mobile they are and the turbo-boosted 3+ invulnerable save (chaplain in artificer armor [2+ invulnerable (Y)] leading these guys is disgusting by the way) and you have, IMO, the most well rounded unit in the SM force.

    Hope that helps.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

    Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

    1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

    2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

    3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

  9. #8
    Senior Member white_consulate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reputation
    5 (x1)

    Since you already bought the blood claw pack you can get a sprue of jump packs and turn those 10 into assult marines(which is what I did as well). So you go buy a Chaplain and give him a jump pack...there, assault part taken care of.

    Or get a commander to accompany those 9 in a rhino and bust it up the table.

    The rest is up to you, personally I would get more CC orientated since you like take the fight to them. 70% of your force should be assaulty while the remaining 30% shooty. In 1000pts your shooty part would be a full tactical squad and a small devastator squad.
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

  10. #9
    Senior Member chickenpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    3rd planet from Sol, presumably
    Age
    26
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    The rest is up to you, personally I would get more CC orientated since you like take the fight to them. 70% of your force should be assaulty while the remaining 30% shooty. In 1000pts your shooty part would be a full tactical squad and a small devastator squad.
    [snapback]277871[/snapback]
    [/quote]
    So how's this:
    30% shooty - Tac squad 8bolters, 1plas. gun, 1ML - 170pts
    Dev squad 2 las., 1 ML, 2 bolters - 165 pts

    Is that good enough for my shooty bit?

  11. #10
    LO Zealot Kirasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

    By the same token, they may not get a second attack in CC for an extra weapon but that 5 toughness will keep emm around for a turn or 2 longer. Add to that how mobile they are and the turbo-boosted 3+ invulnerable save (chaplain in artificer armor [2+ invulnerable ]
    Bikes get +1A for 2 weapons just like every other trooper now. Problem is they dont have 2 weapons, but characters and vet sargs can

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts