Priests, Psykers As Mounted Advisors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya, I was flipping through the IG book at the game store the other day (Santa is just dragging his feet this year, it seems like) and I I skimmed the section on priests and psykers.

First off, I have to say that I agree with the earlier analysis that was posted on this forum that those psyker powers are a bad joke that wouldn't even get their possessor a superhero role in a cheap comic book. The fact that you have to roll randomly, too, is bunk, IMO, as someone who randomly manifested different psychic powers all of the time would be too dangerous for any serious army to consider employing. Really, the Comissars would be shooting these guys on sight, because how could you be sure that this Psyker wouldn't randomly manifest a Greater Daemon of Khorne or something? :hmm:

Having said that, I think that his price is quite reasonable for an extra body and two CC attacks for a command squad, so I'd probably just buy him on that basis alone, as one of the things that hamper command squads is low body count. Of course, in a doctrinal army, these guys would never get used, but I plan on doing a non-doctrinal army, so bring on the Psykers!

Next, I looked at the Priest a little bit more closely, and he's a pretty extreme character. I don't really like rules that force me to do things, especially like assault with my command HQ, but I wanted to ask how putting the HQ in a Chimera would affect this? I understand that the rules are more restrictive on assaulting from a vehicle these days, so how does this affect a command squad with a Priest in a Chimera?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmn. Maybe this topic is not too interesting. Nevertheless, I just read on the GW Website the revised rules for transports, and it seems that a unit can only disembark from a transport if it has not moved that turn, with some exceptions.

So, would I be correct in thinking that if I moved the Chimera in the Movement Phase, I would not be required to make an Assault in the Assault Phase, or am I trying to abuse the spirit of the rules? I'm not sure I like the idea of Priests anyhow, as the effect on the units they accompany seems more appropriate to a Witch Hunter army than a professional military unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, you buy sanctioned psychers for the force weapon with which you dispatch large nasty beasties.

with chimeras, it's you can't disembark and assault in the same turn. it can however, embark and disembark before or after that transport moves, so the point it moot.

hope this helps.

Yeah, this is excellent! TY Angel of Rust!

Graktoof the vile, victor of 1000 battles, partial credit to 1000 more, and sore loser about the other 8000...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Priests. if you have a priest in your command squad, and your command squad is in the chimera, you don't have to exit the chimera and assault. only if you are on foot, does this rule come into play.

however, you CAN disembark and assault from a chimera, IF the chimera has not moved.

personally, i leave the priest in the church.

Psykers. you say that 12 points is worth is for the extra body and attacks... and i agree 12 points isn't too bad (i'd rather have a heavy stubber on my chimera tho). however ask your self this... "is 12 points and the price of a doctrine worth it"?

if you really wanna use pskyers either do the "force weapon & honorific imperialis" approach.. or do the "buy 5 of them approach".

you roll their powers, then assign them to units. so if you buy 5 of them, you have a good chance to getting the useful powers in the units that could use them best.

but again, i say just feed their souls to the emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, I don't plan on playing with a Doctrinal army anyhow, so it's no skin of my army list. That's a really good idea about assigning them to different squads based on their abilities. That must be a headache to remember during the game, though.

I was thinking that the cost for the Psyker, Force Weapon, HI, combo was going to be too high, but then I realized that since his stats change, he becomes "worth it" in the sense that he becomes just as good as any other character with these kind of abilities in the IG.

I'm wondering now, though, are the Psykers and Priests more of a theming piece, to help an IG army fit in with allied Witchhunters or Daemonhunters? It would seem thematic, for instance, if you had a Daemonhunter Inquisitor and then Psykers in your command squads, or a Witchunter Inquisitor and Priests in your command squads. Now, I'm feeling like I might not want to use either of these advisors, as I'm not really interested in building an army where the Inquisition troops become the stars.

It was fun, before, in the old 3rd ed. rules when I just had one Inquisitor in Terminator Armor I could add to my army when I wanted to, because he wasn't that big of an impact on the table, but these new rules make them seem more like the stars of the show, rather than the poor bloody infantry, don't you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Originally posted by BaronDeSade@Dec 18 2004, 13:38
    It was fun, before, in the old 3rd ed. rules when I just had one Inquisitor in Terminator Armor I could add to my army when I wanted to, because he wasn't that big of an impact on the table, but these new rules make them seem more like the stars of the show, rather than the poor bloody infantry, don't you think?
    [snapback]279697[/snapback]
    well you really shouldn't be using =][= unless they're the stars of the show i mean, they aren't just "another unit", instead they have "taken over your army" and are now calling the shots.

and =][= are just flashy and eyecatching by nature (compared to the IG). however, i'll use them once and a while. but it's usually to get an Eversor on the board lol

but imo, only use =][= for a fluffy game, as they're not worth the points imo. you end up spending ~150pts on a =][= lord and his retinue, not including the manditory elite choice (eversor, DCA or deamonhost.. w00t Radical&#33.

this 150pts would probably be better spent on a Russ... or another platoon...

however, a CC =][= will surprise an oppoent who was expecting a pure shooty IG

+ Reply to Thread