Scouts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey ppl, I was just wondering if u guys like scouts, and are they worth buying? I got a few space marine stuff for x-mas and in that was 5 scouts, i played a small 500 pnt battle today and even thought i lost, they did great. they killed 8 marines and both squads had a plasma cannon in it. i would have won, but my chicken ultra marine dev squad ran off the back of the table right at the most crussial point!

well, tnks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

I find scouts to be very usefull for getting into those vital places, currently I only posses a 5 man sqaud but they have 4 snipers and 1 missile launcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Yeah, Scouts are good troops to use. As a space wolf player I have the luxury of having even more effective scouts than the norm, but even the standard codex scout is an integral part of any marine army.

I find it hard to imagine there are many serious marine players that do not have at least 1 squad of scouts lurking somewhere on their figure shelves.

wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wolfkin@Dec 26 2004, 16:59
    Yeah, Scouts are good troops to use. As a space wolf player I have the luxury of having even more effective scouts than the norm, but even the standard codex scout is an integral part of any marine army.

I find it hard to imagine there are many serious marine players that do not have at least 1 squad of scouts lurking somewhere on their figure shelves.

wolfkin
    [snapback]286759[/snapback]

*gasp !* :o you caught me !

I was thinking of either getting scouts or scout bikers, but as of now I have no room for them in my army without cutting something.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Originally posted by 311@Dec 26 2004, 23:21
    *gasp !* :o you caught me !

I was thinking of either getting scouts or scout bikers, but as of now I have no room for them in my army without cutting something.
    Well, I can relate to that. I used to wonder what to cut in order to fit other units into my army list but I came up with a simple solution.... Cut Nothing!!

I now have many more squads & vehicles than I could possibly fit into a single Space Wolf army list (for example, 8 HQ, 5 Elite, 7 Troops, 6 Fast Attack and 8 Heavy Support options) but I am more than happy with things that way.

All those extra sqauds mean I can adjust my army according to the scenario I find myself in or the enemy I am about to face. I can tweak my army and never offer my opponent the same army twice in a row.

Each time I play I add a different element to my force, not allowing my regular opponents the opportunity to build a force specifically designed against me.

Anyway, back to the point in hand, I'm sure your a serious player even though you have not scouts *yet* My point was really meant to emphasise the importance I place on the role scouts play within a Marine army.

wolfkin
    Army:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Aye, scouts are good like. My only advice for them though, is to not mix and match.

I.E A squad of 5. Of which 2 are snipers, 1 has a bolter and 2 have CCW's and bolt pistol.

Scouts are good, but IMHO you need to have a scout squad which is geared for a certain thing.
    So if you want Snipers for those big Deamons, and Eldar Dreadnoughts, then take Snipers. My Sniper squad has 7 Sniper rifles and a Hvy Bolter. Even my Sgt has one.

If you want a cheaper Tac squad, then take bolter Scouts.

If you want CC, then you take CCW scouts.

This way you are max'ing the effectivness of your scouts.

Just my humble foxeh opinion though

Toastee
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think im gonna get 10 scouts and replace one of my tac squads so I can infiltrate them to the objective as a holding ground for the rest of my army. The boxed set is metal is it not? So I assume theres no weapon options. Would it be better to go with ccw & bp or bolters. Im thinking of having all of them with bolters, but they will probily end up being assaulted or doing some assaulting so would it be better going with ccw or hope shooting can hold the enemy off long enough for reinforcements to come.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Originally posted by Toastee@Dec 27 2004, 00:28
    Just my humble foxeh opinion though

Toastee
    Nope, that's good, solid advice. Too many players take Scouts without purpose.

I think they see tham as a cheap squad that can be taken to use up those last few points which, whilst true to a degree, isn't what Scouts are about.

Scouts can be an extremely effective unit if used in a specific role as you suggest.

wolfkin
    Army:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Originally posted by 311@Dec 27 2004, 01:38
    I think im gonna get 10 scouts and replace one of my tac squads so I can infiltrate them to the objective as a holding ground for the rest of my army. The boxed set is metal is it not? So I assume theres no weapon options. Would it be better to go with ccw & bp or bolters. Im thinking of having all of them with bolters, but they will probily end up being assaulted or doing some assaulting so would it be better going with ccw or hope shooting can hold the enemy off long enough for reinforcements to come.
    [snapback]286821[/snapback]
    The boxed set is metal aye, but it only contains 5 scouts and they are all CCW.
    You have to buy bolter ones in Blister packs, and I think they are about £5 for 2 Im not sure...

The CCW scouts can fire Bolt rounds and attack if needed aye, but the Bolter scouts can stay still and fire max range...which could be into the enemy lines, depending on where you place them.
    That, and it also depends on your wallet =^__~=
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

There is no actual benefit in buying a boxset of metal miniatures.. Its gonna cost you the same amount basically. If you believe GW will give you any kind of discoutn because you buy metal boxsets, think again

So if you want bolters just buy them, if you want CCW you can buy the boxset.. Try to find the old blisters of 3 for 8$

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast