Codex: Xanthite Inquisitors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

here's a little home-made codex i came up with for all the radicals out there. tell me what you think of it

Codex: Xanthite Inquisitors

The principles governing the Xanthite philosophy could be described as heretical in themselves, for they advocate the use of Chaos in furthering the goals of the Imperium. To know the enemy is valuable indeed, but the Xanthites believe in taking this one step further. Inquisitors from this faction use the powers of the warp whenever they can, fervently believing that although Chaos can never truly be beaten, it can be harnessed.

Xanthites by no means advocate the furthering of Chaos and its dark works, but see it as a tool that is already in use by the Imperium, not yet realized to its full potential. Warp travel, astropaths, sanctioned psykers, Navigators, Space Marine Librarians, abhumans in the ranks of the Imperial forces; all these bear the mark of Chaos, but nevertheless further the goals of the God-Emperor, himself one of the most powerful psykers to ever have existed. The Xanthites cite these as examples that there is no question as to whether Chaos can serve Humanity; it is just a matter of to what degree. As a result, inquisitors of this faction often use daemon-weapons, Chaos-tainted artifacts, psyker-retainers, daemonhosts and forbidden grimoires in their quest to understand and exploit the boundless power of the warp. Many have achieved mastery over the psychic discipline they have trained in, and it is unusual to find a Xanthite with no psychic ability whatsoever.

Xanthite Inquisitors make use of Codex: Daemonhunters, however, as they are extremist radicals, they cannot make use of Grey Knights Space Marines. But they make use of the following additions and amendments. You will need Codex: Chaos Space Marines to use the following items.

Armory:

Wargear
    Carapace Armor: 5 pts

Daemon Weapons
    Dark Blade: 25 pts
    Dreadaxe: 25 pts
    Ether Lance: 35 pts
    Axe of Khorne: 20 pts
    Pandemic Staff: 25 pts
    Lash of Torment: 25 pts
    Warp Blade: 25 pts

Daemonic Gifts
    Daemonic Essence: 15 pts
    Daemonic Resilience: 10 pts
    Daemonic Strength: 10 pts

Psychic Abilities & Equipment
    Doombolt: 15 pts
    Warp Talisman: 5 pts
    Wind of Chaos: 20 pts

Xanthite Inquisitors Army List:

Henchmen: Xanthite Inquisitors are radicals, and as such, are not accompanied by Hierophants, as they are firm believers in the puritanical way. The rest of the Henchmen are the same as in Codex: Daemonhunters, with the following addition:

Untouchable: Also known as Psyker-Retainers and Soul Guards, Untouchables are psychic blanks. They are able to nullify the abilities of enemy psykers.

PTS WS BS S T W I A LD SV
    Untouchable 10 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 6+

When an Untouchable is in base contact with a model, no psychic powers may affect or be used by that model. For example, if an Untouchable was in base contact with a Space Marine Librarian, the Librarian would not be able to use its psychic powers.

HQ

Inquisitor Lord: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Veteran Inquisitor
    Veteran Inquisitors are Xanthites who refuse promotion to the rank of Inquisitor Lord so that they may continue to serve in the field, instead of being bound to a desk like the aging Inquisitor Lords. They are experienced in the art of combat, and tend not to make use of large retinues, instead relying on their own abilities.

Veteran Inquisitor 40 4 4 3 3 3 4 3 10 4+

Number/squad: 1

Options: A Veteran Inquisitor may be given any equipment allowed from the Daemonhunters and Xanthite armories.

Retinue: The Veteran Inquisitor may be accompanied a retinue of 0-8 Henchmen

SPECIAL RULES
    Psyker: Most Veteran Inquisitors are psykers, and as such, may choose one psychic power from either the Daemonhunters or the Xanthite armory.

Iron will: Psyker or not, a Veteran Inquisitor will have an unbending determination to prevail, backed by a clinical understanding of how to achieve his goals. As such, a Veteran Inquisitor can choose whether to pass or fail any Morale check or Pinning test he is called upon to make. This ability is conveyed to any unit he joins. Even if failure is normally automatic, the Veteran Inquisitor may still choose whether to pass or fail the test.

Independent Character: Unless accompanied by his retinue, the Veteran Inquisitor is an independent character and follows all of the rules for characters in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. If the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independent character and is free to join other units.

Elites

0-1 Daemonhosts: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Death Cult Assassins: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Officio Assassinorum Operative: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Troops

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Heavy Support

0-1 Orbital Strike: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Special Characters

Veteran Inquisitor Hayden Tartarus

Tartarus 126 5 4 4 4 3 5 4 10 4/5+

Hayden Tartarus may be taken an ally to an Imperial Guard army. He counts as an HQ choice and must be used exactly as described below. He may not take any additional equipment.

Wargear: Darkblade, Bolt Pistol, Warp Talisman, Refractor Field

Psychic Power: Tartarus is a powerful psyker and may use the Wind of Chaos Psychic Power.

SPECIAL RULES
    Iron will: See Veteran Inquisitor special rules
    Only the Best: As a Veteran Inquisitor, Tartarus chooses not to rely on a retinue. However, on a battlefield, he will requisition the best squad he can get his hands on so that he may focus on the objective, while the squad watches his back. Tartarus may only be attached to either storm troopers or veterans. Note that the squad will lose the ability to deep strike, but may still infiltrate. Also, Tartarus counts as a member of the squad instead of an independent character. If the squad is eliminated however, he will revert to being an independent character.
    Excommunicated Radical: Tartarus is an excommunicated radical who makes use of every daemonic artifact he comes across. These assorted artifacts boost his already formidable abilities, giving him +1 WS, +1 S, +1 T, and +1 I. The bonuses are already included in his profile above.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Not bad, I'd like to see this kinda army list variation made up for all the sects!

Couple of things to make it more fair:

Drop Carapace armor and the Veteran Inquisitor. Carapace was left out of the DH codex on purpose, and Veteran Inquisitors are just a workabout to the problem of expensive Lord/retinue units. They're just against the feel of the army, imo.

Increase the costs of all the Daemonic weapons & gifts and the Chaos powers. Maybe add 10pts to every one, or double their costs. These are powers and gifts given to the elite servants of the Ruinous powers, not just handed out to every traitor. Therefore, they'd all be VERY expensive to take. The increased cost would represent their rarity. Maybe a limit on the amount of Daemonic things you can give to an Inquisitor? Maybe 0-2 items off that entire list, or 0-1 of each category? The way it is now, you're just letting people build loyalist Daemon Princes.

The Nulls are a good idea, but a little overpowered for 10 pts. I'd say make their effect only reduce the enemy's Ld for the purposes of psychic tests, maybe -2 on every test. But logically, you'd have to extend this modifier to the Inquisitor in the retinue if he was within the same range, as it's not a selective power. I'd also reduce the Null's base Ld to 6 or so, since nulls are rather uncharismatic people.

I think you could remove the 0-1 limitation on Daemonhosts.

I also think a limitation on allies useable would be smart. No WH should be used (including So. SM would be iffy, maybe limit SM allies to Relictors? IG can be left alone, since they're just humans ^_^

I like the special character. But since I think the Veteran Inquisitor idea is bad (Lords aren't deskbound, they're just higher ranking&#33, I'd say make him a Lord but remove the 3-12 henchmen restriction so the rest of his rules still apply. I also think it'd be interesting if you made another unit become required with his presence. Maybe 1+ Daemonhosts or something like that. A radical of his power wouldn't go anywhere without his pet Daemons!

Very good idea you have here, I think it'll work out nicely with a few tweaks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

the reason I put carapace armor was because if you've read any of the eisenhorn trilogy, he's a perfect example of a field inquisitor, but he doesn't take power armor. i think power armor would ruin the sneakiness of the inquisitor. plus, it's covenient with the carapace of stormtroopers and my vets, which have the carapace doctrine.

vet inquisitors are there b/c i wanted something different from the stupid inquisitor lords who control the sectors. IMO, they're lazy and too focused on politics. a vet inquisitor is cool cuz he can focus on the job, not whose gonna screw him over or do the job for him.

i forgot to add that there's a 0-1 limit on daemon weapons, but i don't think that they should be given an increase in cost. if you think about it, it's about 5 points to increase the strength of a model. for a 25 point dark blade, you're already being jipped cuz of the daemonic mastery test. i didn't limit the daemonic gifts because most of the daemonic gifts aren't included there. daemonic stature, visage, and all those other goodies. not there

the nulls do the same thing to the inquisitor if he's in base contact.

like it says in the CDH, marines can ally with radicals. i doubt SOB would though, so I'll include that

i will add the +1 daemonhosts thing to Tartarus' special rules too, but I won't take the 0-1 limit off of the daemonhosts. if an Inquisitor had more, there'd be too many for him to control

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Perhaps add a special character that is some sort of an even greater deamon host that can only be used when Tartarus is also in the same army.
    Normaly a deamon host has captured a more normal deamon, imaine what might happen when a Greater Deamon is imprisoned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

I thought about something like that, but I couldn't really come up with anything. If you've any ideas, feel free to share

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

but I won't take the 0-1 limit off of the daemonhosts. if an Inquisitor had more, there'd be too many for him to control
    You could make some kind of limit, like 0-1 group of Daemonhosts per Lord? That'd encourage people to take multiple Lords, something I don't think I've ever seen on the table.

vet inquisitors are there b/c i wanted something different from the stupid inquisitor lords who control the sectors. IMO, they're lazy and too focused on politics. a vet inquisitor is cool cuz he can focus on the job, not whose gonna screw him over or do the job for him.
    I understand your reasoning, but think about it this way: If you have an HQ-level Inquisitor choice that doesn't require any retinue, no one would take a Lord (or an Elite choice unless they wanted plenty of Inquisitors). Inquisitor retinues are very fragile, which is their biggest flaw. I'm sure it wasn't a GW oversight. They put it in so that you don't have these ridiculously strong units wandering around. It's a balance between the uberpowerful Lord and a weak retinue. Your Vet Inquisitor has the same stats as a Lord, and the same rules as a Lord, but without the retinue restrictions. You basically took the one point of the Lord you didn't like and broke it over your knee. And fluffwise, just because an Inquisitor has the rank of Lord, he doesn't become a political animal or lazy or whatever. The highest ranking Inquisitors, sure, but its basically up to each seperate man (or woman) to decide his (or her) role. Lords are required to have retinues just because they've been around so long that they've picked up henchmen, not because they're old and feeble.

the reason I put carapace armor was because if you've read any of the eisenhorn trilogy, he's a perfect example of a field inquisitor, but he doesn't take power armor. i think power armor would ruin the sneakiness of the inquisitor. plus, it's covenient with the carapace of stormtroopers and my vets, which have the carapace doctrine.
    I stand by my opinion, despite having read the series and having wished DH Inquisitors had access to Carapace armor myself. I feel that GW excluded the option because they didn't want to create uber-retinues of entirely 4+ saves (acolytes, warriors, and inquisitors). The variety of saves included makes the unit weak to shooting, and makes it so a combat unit really can't include more non-combatants than fighters without ruining their saves. Which makes perfect sense to me. Besides, Inquisitors come with Carapace or better anyways. The only people that'd be able to take it are Acolytes (unless you felt like paying to downgrade). If you feel that you should have a less powerful save, I'm sure that no opponent would prevent you from taking your free 3+ save as a 4+ instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like this "codex" of yours. I've always felt radicals doesn't have enough flavour. Think about it, the ONLY thing that makes an army radical is if you use daemonhosts. Just because your army doesn't have GK's doesn't mean it's radical.

I really think GW should've added some daemon weapons/gifts/whatever to make the Radicals a bit more tainted and sinister. The only way I'd make a radical army at this state is to ally with relictors (they got more chaos goodies, right?)

And I have to back upp Megalomaniac here, Lords aren't lazy bums, and they don't control whole sectors. Coteaz does, but he's a special character and the large retinue reflects his enourmous status.

Fluffwise, why not do the opposite? Coteaz has big retinue because he controls a whole sector, this super-radical inquisitor must play in the shadows and have a limited supply of henchemens, therefore only 0-8.

The 0-1 Daemonhost is fine. make it 1-4 per squad and its ok.
    Making it 0-2 would allow you to take 6 Daemonhosts, but it severly limits your army list as most Radical models lies in the elite section. Also, since Daemonhosts doesn't act like a unit on the table, 4 separate hosts would suffice.

Megalos idea with 0-1/Lord is cool, still would limit the list imho though, and would be sickening (and unballanced) if you could have 1-4 in a squad (8 Daemonhosts on the table... overkill)

As I said, great work, try it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

It just really doesn't make sense to me for a guy in power armor to be sneaking around uncovering diabolical plots and hatching some of his own. But you guys do have a good point, and I guess I will have to rethink the Vet Inquisitors through.

I could just call the Inquisitor Lords Veteran Inquisitors. Should I stick with the 0-8 retinue or go back to the old 3-12 retinues? And if I go back, should I change the rules for the special character?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personaly I dont think that an Radical Inq should be able to call down an Orbital strike ( he dont have that relationsship with the Imperial Navy, any Black ship etc. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

second edition of the codex

Codex: Xanthite Inquisitors

The principles governing the Xanthite philosophy could be described as heretical in themselves, for they advocate the use of Chaos in furthering the goals of the Imperium. To know the enemy is valuable indeed, but the Xanthites believe in taking this one step further. Inquisitors from this faction use the powers of the warp whenever they can, fervently believing that although Chaos can never truly be beaten, it can be harnessed.

Xanthites by no means advocate the furthering of Chaos and its dark works, but see it as a tool that is already in use by the Imperium, not yet realized to its full potential. Warp travel, astropaths, sanctioned psykers, Navigators, Space Marine Librarians, abhumans in the ranks of the Imperial forces; all these bear the mark of Chaos, but nevertheless further the goals of the God-Emperor, himself one of the most powerful psykers to ever have existed. The Xanthites cite these as examples that there is no question as to whether Chaos can serve Humanity; it is just a matter of to what degree. As a result, inquisitors of this faction often use daemon-weapons, Chaos-tainted artifacts, psyker-retainers, daemonhosts and forbidden grimoires in their quest to understand and exploit the boundless power of the warp. Many have achieved mastery over the psychic discipline they have trained in, and it is unusual to find a Xanthite with no psychic ability whatsoever.

Xanthite Inquisitors make use of Codex: Daemonhunters, however, as they are extremist radicals, they cannot make use of Grey Knights Space Marines or Sisters of Battle. But they do make use of the following additions and amendments. You will need Codex: Chaos Space Marines to use the following items.

Armory:
    Wargear
    Carapace Armor: 5 pts
    Daemon Weapons (0-1 Per Army)
    Dark Blade: 25 pts
    Dreadaxe: 25 pts
    Ether Lance: 35 pts
    Axe of Khorne: 20 pts
    Pandemic Staff: 25 pts
    Lash of Torment: 25 pts
    Warp Blade: 25 pts
    Daemonic Gifts (0-2 Per Army)
    Daemonic Essence: 15 pts
    Daemonic Resilience: 10 pts
    Daemonic Strength: 10 pts
    Psychic Abilities & Equipment
    Doombolt: 15 pts
    Warp Talisman: 5 pts
    Wind of Chaos: 20 pts

Xanthite Inquisitors Army List:

Henchmen: Xanthite Inquisitors are radicals, and as such, are not accompanied by Hierophants, as they are firm believers in the puritanical way. The rest of the Henchmen are the same as in Codex: Daemonhunters, with the following addition:

Untouchable: Also known as Psyker-Retainers and Soul Guards, Untouchables are psychic blanks. They are able to nullify the abilities of enemy psykers.

Untouchable 10 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 6+

When an Untouchable is in base contact with a model, no psychic powers may affect or be used by that model. For example, if an Untouchable was in base contact with a Space Marine Librarian, the Librarian would not be able to use its psychic powers. Note that if the untouchable is in base-to-base contact with the Inquisitor, the Inquisitor is affected in the same way.

HQ

Inquisitor Lord: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Veteran Inquisitor
    Veteran Inquisitors are senior members of the Inquisition who refuse promotion to the rank of Inquisitor Lord so that they may continue to serve in the field, instead of being bound to a desk like the aging Inquisitor Lords. They are extremely deadly opponents who tend not to make use of large retinues, instead relying on their own abilities to get the job done.

Veteran Inquisitor 35 4 4 3 3 3 4 3 9 4+

Number/squad: 1

Options: A Veteran Inquisitor may be given any equipment allowed from the Daemonhunters and Xanthite armories.

Retinue: The Veteran Inquisitor may be accompanied a retinue of 0-8 Henchmen

SPECIAL RULES
    Psyker: Most Veteran Inquisitors are psykers, and as such, may choose one psychic power from either the Daemonhunters or the Xanthite armory.
    Independent Character: Unless accompanied by his retinue, the Veteran Inquisitor is an independent character and follows all of the rules for characters in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. If the retinue is destroyed he becomes an independent character and is free to join other units.

Elites

0-1 Daemonhosts: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Death Cult Assassins: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Officio Assassinorum Operative: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Troops

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers: see Codex: Daemonhunters

Heavy Support

0-1 Orbital Strike: see Codex: Daemonhunters

“What do I know of the Ordo Agnitios? Rumor has it that it’s a secret Ordo of radical inquisitors, but the whole thing is pure nonsense and myth. No such Ordo exists, so therefore, I cannot be part of that Ordo.?

Inquisitor Lord Heron Craio

The Ordo Agnitios is whispered amongst the ranks of the Inquisition. It is a secret Ordo that most say do not exist. If it actually does exist, it is made up of extremist radicals who rely heavily on daemon-weapons, Chaos-tainted artifacts, psyker-retainers, daemonhosts and forbidden grimoires. Some say that it was the Ordo Agnitios that lifted Inquisitor Hayden Tartarus’ excommunication. Others say it supported men such as Quixos the terrible. Regardless, whenever word of the Ordo Agnitios starts circulating, no proof of the Ordo’s existence has ever been found.
    Special Characters

Veteran Inquisitor Hayden Tartarus

The career of Hayden Tartarus is one of the more infamous careers in the history of the Inquisition. From his early days Tartarus was a radical, and advocated the use of the dark arts against the forces of Chaos. His involvement in the Overlord Affair would have seen his execution at the hands of the puritans, but Inquisitor Lord Cerebus vouched for Tartarus, bringing him under the protection of his vast influence. When Cerebus died however, Tartarus was alone and friendless, and was easy prey for Inquisitor Garrat Razagal. Razagal excommunicated him, tried to kill him, and failed. Two years later, Tartarus stumbled into Razagal again, and executed him.

Soon Tartarus disappeared into the Imperium again, dodging the authorities and making his way to the Eye of Terror. On the planet Venataria, he requisitioned a regiment of the PDF and used them to quell a daemonic incursion that was threatening to engulf the sector. What was left of the regiment elected to become Tartarus’ bodyguard, and became known as the “Hammer of Tartarus.?

Tartarus’ actions on Venataria convinced an influential cell of Inquisitors that he was not a heretic, and was indeed doing his best to protect humanity. After they pulled a couple strings, Tartarus’ death warrant was nullified, and he was reinstated to the rank of Inquisitor. The more puritanical members of the Inquisition have an extreme distrust of Tartarus however, and still see him as a heretic hiding behind a mask of purity.

Tartarus 146 5 4 6 4 3 5 4 10 4/5+

Hayden Tartarus may be taken as an ally to an Imperial Guard army. He counts as an HQ choice and must be used exactly as described below. He may not take any additional equipment.

Wargear: Darkblade, Bolt Pistol, Warp Talisman, Emperor’s Tarot, Refractor Field

Psychic Power: Tartarus is a powerful psyker and may use the Wind of Chaos Psychic Power.

SPECIAL RULES
    Iron Will: Tartarus has an unbending determination to prevail, backed by a clinical understanding of how to achieve his goals. As such, Tartarus can choose whether to pass or fail any Morale check or Pinning test he is called upon to make. This ability is conveyed to any unit he joins. Even if failure is normally automatic, Tartarus may still choose whether to pass or fail the test.
    Only the Best: As a Veteran Inquisitor, Tartarus chooses not to rely on a retinue. However, on a battlefield, he will requisition the best squad he can get his hands on so that he may focus on the objective, while the squad watches his back. Tartarus may only be attached to either storm troopers or veterans. Note that the squad will lose the ability to deep strike, but may still infiltrate. Also, Tartarus counts as a member of the squad instead of an independent character. If the squad is eliminated however, he will revert to being an independent character.
    Radical to the Marrow: Tartarus is an extremist radical who makes use of every daemonic artifact he comes across. These assorted artifacts boost his already formidable abilities, giving him +1 WS, +1 S, +1 T, and +1 I. The bonuses are already included in his profile above.
    Daemonhosts: It is rumored that Tartarus has learned how to control daemonhosts and has made frequent use of them to eliminate his foes. Any force that includes Tartarus must include at least one daemonhost.

okay, so, i went back to carapace armor on the vet inquisitors. instead of taking the inquisitor lords and "breaking the rule I didn't like over my knee," I upgraded the regular inquisitors. i gave an extra wound and leadership, for 15 points. this also allows me to give it a retinue of 0-8, to represent an HQ choice that is halfway between inquisitor and inquisitor lord.

so hopefully you like the changes. feel free to comment on it some more. Megalo, you've offered the most help to this project of mine and I think you really do know what you're talking about, so tell me, with this new version, do you still think I should get rid of the vet inquisitors and carapace?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast