Creating A Wolf Brothers Force.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Comments Welcomed

Below I have offered what I believe to be an acceptable way of creating the Space Wolves second founding chapter, the Wolf Brothers. It is primarily aimed at those players who fancy using Space Wolves but are torn between them and creating a Codex Chapter (Thain Blood Claw, this might be what you're looking for).

Traits Advantages and Disadvantages

Trait: Fierce:Space Wolves of any sort will almost inevitably have to follow the Fierce trait and therefore both Advantages should come from that trait.

Advantage: No Mercy, No Respite: This advantage allows you to recreate the Berserk Charge of the Blood Claws albeit a little weaker. These 'Blood Claws' will recieve +1 attack on the charge instead of +2 but will be at WS & BS 4 instead of 3 and at +1 initiative. A fair trade I would suggest.

Advantage: Take The Fight To Them: Allows you to recreate the armourment of the Blood Claws. Also allows you to take Grey Hunters armed with Bolt Pistol/CCW or with a Bolter which are the options in Codex: Space Wolves (under this version however, Grey Hunters lose their True Grit skill and are armed only with a Bolter, but can be given the Furious Charge skill if desired, which compensates a little).

Disadvantage: Aspire To Glory: Using this disadvantage works with the ideals of the Space Wolves as they don't actually use Veterans anyway, and the limited amount of Terminators applied to this disadvantage reflects the Space Wolves natural dislike of Deep Striking. The 1 squad of Vets allowed can be used to represent a squad of Wolf Guard if desired, only following the Codex: Space Marine wargear options.

Naming Squads

Veterans, as suggested, could be termed 'Wolf Guard Squad'
    Troops left armed with Bolters can be named 'Grey Hunters'
    Troops armed with Bolt Pistol/CCW can be named 'Blood Claws
    Assault and Bike Squads may also use the name 'Blood Claws'
    Devastator Squads can represent 'Long Fangs'
    Masters and Captains become 'Wolf Master' or 'Wolf Lord'
    Tech Marine becomes 'Iron Priest'
    A Chaplain becomes 'Wolf Priest'
    A Librarian could become a 'Rune Priest'

The Pro's And Con's

The main 5 things you would gain:
    Availability to more than 1 Land Raider Crusader
    Iron (Tech Marine) Priest with full servo harness and servitors
    Attack Bikes in Bike Squads
    'Grey Hunters' with Furious Charge
    Psychic Powers

The main 5 things you would lose:
    The ability to have a 15 strong Blood Claws Pack
    Power Fists & Power Weapons in Squads
    True Grit
    Wolf Scouts
    The Leman Russ Battle Tank

Of course there are other gains and losses (such as the 'Old And Wise' skill for a Venearable Dreadnought) but in essence this is a way to create a second founding Space Wolves army. It goes without saying that the second founding chapter would differ susbtantially from it's parent chapter and this works well with the way these traits work for this force.

Chapter Colours
    These are really a matter of personal taste but I would suggest codex grey (or shadow grey, similar to the 13th Company) whilst maintaining the yellow and (sometimes) red colours for the shoulder pads.

As a Space Wolf player, I have been left rather frustrated by the options presented in the new Codex, and by the look of some of the new figures (Veterans etc) and using the above guidlines I could, on occasion, use My Space Wolves as a second founding chapter and have the best of both worlds.

I particularly welcome comments from other Space Wolf Players but look forward to input from anybody.

As a final word, I should point out that I personally, whilst I might dabble with the above, will never stop playing Space Wolves proper!!!.

wolfkin

Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Well I do like your attention to wanting to create the 2nd founding chapter. My concern is that since Space wolves are a major 40k army it's going to be rather strange to have a successor chapter not use their rules. It would be like Flesh tearers not using blood angel rules and instead using chapter traits, just odd to me

That's really my major concern about the "making sense" part of creating your own chapter. Other than that it's a good idea, and nothing to stop you from doing it. Honestly I think space wolfs lost out with the new codex, so perhaps this is a better idea for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Originally posted by Kirasu+Dec 28 2004, 00:27--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kirasu &#064; Dec 28 2004, 00:27)</div><div class='quotemain'>My concern is that since Space wolves are a major 40k army it&#39;s going to be rather strange to have a successor chapter not use their rules.
    [/b]

I appreciate your concern over this and I agree to a certain extent. However, I do think that it is quite plausible that a second founding Chapter might well differ from it&#39;s parent Chapter. There are many factors that might cause changes in operational behaviour to take place, and possibly even the structure of the force. These really are down to a players ability to create the fluff if desired.

Originally posted by Kirasu@Dec 28 2004, 00:27
    Other than that it&#39;s a good idea, and nothing to stop you from doing it.
    Well personally I have no great desire to build a fully fledged second founding Space Wolves Chapter as I have a huge (fast approaching 10,000 pts) Wolves Army as it is. However, I do think it will be interesting to see how it would perform on the field of battle. The one thing that eats points in a Space Wolves force is the rule that requires 1 HQ unit for every 750 points and I&#39;d like to see the benefit of not having to fulfil this requirement.

<!--QuoteBegin-Kirasu
    @Dec 28 2004, 00:27
    Honestly I think space wolfs lost out with the new codex, so perhaps this is a better idea for now
    [/quote]

I think most Space Wolves players would agree with you. We are still restricted to 1 Land Raider Crusader and have no access to the increased amount of psychic powers amongst other things. Also, our unique access to Venerable Dreads has been pilfered.

thanks for your input,

wolfkin
    Army:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Course your Ven Dread sets up as an HQ and has bs5..nice with the new assault cannon I might add. Im not sure about your SW army but the one I play against has alot of powerfists (bloodclaws) so I think this force while saving pts in some areas becomes not as good in HtH. You would also be able to field heavy weapons in your tac squads which IMO is the biggest disadvantage SW have and would improve your army, although that risks your army becoming to much like regular SM.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Originally posted by 311+Dec 28 2004, 00:52--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(311 &#064; Dec 28 2004, 00:52)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not sure about your SW army but the one I play against has alot of powerfists (bloodclaws) so I think this force while saving pts in some areas becomes not as good in HtH.
    [/b]

This is true but the Furious Charge skill that can be given will help a bit towards regressing the balance. You are perfectly correct in we would not be as good in hand-to-hand but perhaps that&#39;s just a downfall of the second founding chapter :rolleyes:

<!--QuoteBegin-311
    @Dec 28 2004, 00:52
    You would also be able to field heavy weapons in your tac squads which IMO is the biggest disadvantage SW have and would improve your army, although that risks your army becoming to much like regular SM.
    [/quote]

Again, true, but I would probably opt not to use Heavies in Tactical Troop options in order to maintain the essence of the Space Wolves.

thanks,
    wolfkin
    Army:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wolfkin@Dec 27 2004, 17:59
    Veterans, as suggested, could be termed &#39;Wolf Guard Squad&#39;
    Troops left armed with Bolters can be named &#39;Grey Hunters&#39;
    Troops armed with Bolt Pistol/CCW can be named &#39;Blood Claws
    Assault and Bike Squads may also use the name &#39;Blood Claws&#39;
    Devastator Squads can represent &#39;Long Fangs&#39;
    Masters and Captains become &#39;Wolf Master&#39; or &#39;Wolf Lord&#39;
    Tech Marine becomes &#39;Iron Priest&#39;
    A Chaplain becomes &#39;Wolf Priest&#39;
    A Librarian could become a &#39;Rune Priest&#39;

[snapback]287477[/snapback]
    For the Veterans, maybe they could be called "Alpha Males" or that could be the title of the commander. Tech Marine could be "Iron Wolf", Chaplains, which are spiritual could be Wolf Spirits or Feral Skulls.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder for ours is the true path and none shall defy us.</div>
    Translation from ancient plaques attributed to Venerable Lord Kroak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Originally posted by BurnDaHalflings@Dec 28 2004, 019
    For the Veterans, maybe they could be called "Alpha Males" or that could be the title of the commander. Tech Marine could be "Iron Wolf", Chaplains, which are spiritual could be Wolf Spirits or Feral Skulls.
    Excellent names. I had wanted to suggest people might want to give them names that, whilst remianing Wolf-like, didn&#39;t copy the actual Space Wolf names, but I don&#39;t have such an imagination. I like these names&#33;&#33;

thanks
    wolfkin
    Army:

+ Reply to Thread