Assault Threat Within 12" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now lets say there is a enemy squad about to assault within 12". These scenarios are merely base on what 1 squad can do, not a whole army.
    (CC enemy is SM)

What would you do:

A) Stand and shoot. Rapid Fire where you are. You get 19 shots off (1 lascannon and plasma). 10 hit. 5/6 will wound, 3/4 on most (since SM/CSM/Nec are the most common armies)
    2/3 Die

Advantages: The enemy can't fight back at you like they could if you went into combat. You've reduced their kick in combat by a bit.
    Disadvantages: You probably won't kill many or enough to cause a moral check.

Charge Move forward and charge the enemy. Usually the enemy will strike first. 6 hits on you. 3/4 wounds. 2/3 die.
    14/16 attacks, 7/8 hits, 3/4 wounds, 1 dies.

You lose and might hold.

Advantages: Your in combat, but away from your gun line. that unit can't get the chrage on you and sweep through your gun line.
    Disadvantages: You have blocked LoS along part of your gun line.

Which would you go for?

Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

If it was 1 unit vs. 1 unit I would probably fall back if they didn’t have any way of moving faster than 12''. That way they spend another round chasing after you, then assault them. But this only works if they can’t just charge something els.

If that is not an option I would charge them. Denying them the +1 attack can allow your unit to survive threw your assault phase and forces them to spend their assault phase finishing you off. If you let them assault you they will probably beat down the unit to 2 or 3 men, and then be immune to shooting during your turn, then finish you off in your assault phase. This lets them move and act normal on their turn.

In most non assault armies planning when the assault will come to an end is vital; you want to end it on their turn allowing you to bring your guns to bear on the target during your turn.

-GM
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would charge, for no other reason then to tie up the squad. PLus if you let them go then they rapid fire you..and IG don&#39;t stand up to bolter fire to well.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

although it is possible to analyze what one squad would do against a squad of SMs... you really have to look at the situation.

if that sqaud is alone, w/out support, i&#39;d just stand and shoot. after all you have better chances killing some of them w/ your Las/Plas

however, if the SM sqaud was close to my battle line, and if they assaulted next turn, they could hop from squad to squad.. i&#39;d charge.

charge becaues hopefully you&#39;ll loose half your squad this turn, and half of it next (your oppoenents turn). therefore, he&#39;ll be stranded in the open and free to be torn up by your firepower.

but seriously, 1on1. the IG are gonna die 9 out of 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BAW HA HA HA HA&#33; My IG will always throw them selves into close combat&#33; That is the ONLY way they earn their salvation&#33;
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:black'>Order Of the Black Rose</span>
    <span style='color:red'>Blood God&#39;s Initiate</span>
    </span>

Senior Member Bobby_Wokkerfella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

With support I&#39;d run. Sure he&#39;ll get to rapid fire you but then your supporting units will be able to bring all thier rapid fire goodness on them. I know I&#39;d prefer 100 las shots and maybe 8 or so heavy and special weapons to 16 bolt shots and 1 heavy and 1 speical.

Without support however I&#39;d charge as to let him not gain the 10 extra attacks on the sqaud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;d run away too. Since I&#39;m going to outnumber Space Marines 2/1 at the squad level, I can have one squad run while the other one shoots at the Marines. It sounds like a winner to me, everytime.

Heck, I think the proper answer to this question is, "Who cares about one squad of Guardsmen..."

+ Reply to Thread