Outfitting Your Guardsmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all Im new here and I was wondering what you give your troops on the field. It's great that you can give your command squads and hardened veterans lots of diffrent powerful weapons and wargear, but what about your grunts and troopers who fill out the body of your platoons. What do you guys arm your Guardsmen Infantry squads with and what role do they play in your army. Personaly I am experimenting with giving them a missle launcher and a grenade launcher. This gives them alot of versatility in the firepower department and I have them advance toward the objective unless I am playing an assaulty (Dark Eldar, Khorne, Orks) army in which case they will probably just stand back and fire. I am just coming back into the guard (played a while back but have been working on my Blood Angels for a long time) and I wanted to know what you veterans out there do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Well, my command squads are all pretty standard, one has just lasguns to keep points down, one has two plasma because its more a frontliner.

As for normal infantry squads; well, they all have a grenade launcher then either a missile, autocannon or heavy bolter. The grenade launcher gives you a nice extra blast template to pop down, and by varying the heavies between the squads you will have a versatile army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly what I do! You cant go wrong with grenade launchers and missile launchers if you hope for a balanced IG army. I sometimes put lascannons in squads but only 1 or 2 in case I face a tank force. Other than that missile launchers will do fine. Much cheaper and have frag missiles to boot.
    I prefer 'nade launchers to plasma guns, reliable and can take down both infantry and light vehicles, unless I know I'm facing SM.

You got it spot on!
    "No single man should have the power to crush the lives of his people. It is our duty, being free from the cruel reign of the Emporer, to liberate the peoples of the Imperium from His iron grip! Let them choose their leader! Let them join the Confederation! Let us dethrone the false Emporer and unite under the banner of Freedom!" - Karl Lindbergh, President of the C.I.S., Speech on Justice VI
    'The old lie; To die for your Emporer is a wonderful and glorious honour.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

For my line squads, I like the Grenade Launcher and Plasma Rifles best. Either combined with, Missle Launcher, Autocannon or heavy bolter. Keep the line squads focused on troops.

I only use meltas in suicide drop trooping command or Veterans squads.

Plasma Rifles take a bit of a kicking because of the overheat thing, realisticly though, how many times do you get to to fire anyway?

One tactic I like is to use Light Infantry, Infiltrate one squad into cover with an Autocannon and Plasma Rifle and the command platoon with 2 grenade Launchers, and missle launcher. And then infiltrate behind that cover, another squad with a mortar and flamer. It is great for holding that table quarter.

Cheers!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One special weapon or one heavy weapon only. That way, I don't care much when they die, but they still provide a potential threat that an opponent must consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I play against a lot of marines, I put a plasmagun in every squad, accompanied by either a missile launcher, lascannon, or heavy bolter. My command squads get an autocannon and 2 plasma guns. I deply the command squads in cover to make them less attractive targets while still being a threat to advancing troops.
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as the other guys have sorta pointed out, who your playing is a relevent part in this decsion. my most common foe is necros and i have quickly learned after only a half a dozen games plasmaguns and ordanance are the way to go. i dont know much but i do know exploiting your enemies weakness(s) is a valuable tatic. peace.
    Death is inevitable, and hell can follow with it. Live everyday as if it were your last... in awe, in purity.

Army Record W/L/D
    BloodAngels 3/16/6
    Tzeetch 1/3/0
    IG 1/0/0

damn i suck...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

I play against every army out there so I do was Castellean does, Grenade and missile launchers. But you should probably throw a flamer or stack up on hvy bolters, the whole firing 3 at 4-6(or visa vie) will help you take out marines and orks.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I set up my army to not be deadly against against some and weak verus other but dangerous against everyone. I have a missle launcher in one command squad, and a las cannon is the other command squad. All my squads in the platoons have either a heavy bolter or autocannon, and every squad has a grenade launcher. I then give all the squads sharpshooter and carapace and then i just stand and shot for the entire game. I play two leman's and that about rounds it out. Throw in a few GK termies and you will be able to hold your own against anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

function = equipment

how you intend to use a squad should determine what you give it.

personally, i don't like a "cookie-cutter" aproach to my squads. that is to say, giving all of them the same weapons. instead i prefer using a variety of weapons. it keeps things interesting

don't be afraid to simply give a sqaud 1 HW and that's it. a squad w/ a lascannon can be a big threat. point for point, HW are better than SW, so make sure you have all your HW slots filled before you spend points on SW.

and you SW selection should be determined by your HWs.

as for the command squads. if you use them for Leadership, then they should be equiped to stay back out of LOS. i like mortars

if they are meant to be suicide squads, then 4 flamers/meltas/plasmaguns work well.

and if they CC speed bumps... then a JO w/Psword & carapce, 1 or 2 flamers, and CloseOrderDrill is all you need.

i love platoons. i like to keep them together and use them basically as one big unit. it's fluffy imo, and isolated squads are usally dead squads. troops are the heart and soul of IG, but don't be afraid to sacrifice every last one of them for the mission.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast