Space Wolves - Land Raider Crusader - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another newb question - thanks for your patience

Is there a problem with stuffing Blood Claws and a HQ into a Crusader?

Thanks,

DrBob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem. Space Wolves may take one Crusader as a heavy choice. They are a little too expensive for small point armies, but are perfect Blood Claw delivery vehicles in mid to large sized armies. The HQ can joint the BC's and make a killer assault unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree, when running a small point army the LRC isn't worth it, at 255 points it's really a waste. I personally wouldnt' run a LRC unless i was playing at least 1850 pts. Otherwise, carrying 12 Blood Claws could pack a powerful punch. The Hurricane Bolters, and maybe a Hunter Killer Missle can deliver a hard blow, and then follow up w/ an assault from the Blood Claws and you've got an enemy that's as good as dead.
    - Remember kiddies, flashlights kill...

A friend on Howling Banshees vs Striking Scorpions
    "Most people seem to prefer Scorpions, but most people suck, so go Banshees"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actualy you get 15 troops in a cruser... try 13 BC(powerwep/powerfist)wolf leader(power wep) and a wolf lord or a battle leader w/ a Frost blade(this is the important one because with a 5in. you can usually pick off 2 or more of there troops before they get to attack). That’s a total of 10 unsaveable attacks in cc and 14 on the charge+ the 2 attacks with the PF. this works great against other marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about 8 terminators with lightning claws and thunderhammers. That works better then 15 troops. I used the same in my black templars tactic but the termies thing works better. (that's what i think about it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, terminators are better if you can afford them. Only take the terminators in a crusader in a 2000pts plus game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, otherwise it would be to expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too sure but DrBob may have been referring to the fact that Blood Claws can usually only take Rhino's as transport vehicles as the other troop carriers are usually only reserved for the more important units - or that is what it says in the Codex for Space Wolves. However because a Razorback can only carry 6 Space Marines this may be the reason as to why they say that Blood Claws can take it - Blood Claws need a minimum of 8 for a pack.
    In the Codex it doesn't say anything about being able to or not being able to put them in a Land Raider so I guess that the question is whether the Land Raider Crusader is supposed to be only used by more prominent packs - in which case you could only add in some Fenresian Wolves to make up the 15 as Grey Hunters can only go up to 10 and you are only allowed 1 unit (and Independent Characters).
    If it is allowed - one other type of tactic (similar to dill-weeeds in a way) is to have:

Rune Priest (Lightning Claws)
    Wolf Guard Leader (Lightning Claws - perhaps even with a Wolf Tooth Necklace))
    13 Blood Claws (3 with Powerfist/Weapons)

If the Rune Priest successfully casts his Storm Caller, then you are attacking (from cover) and so attack first with 50 normal attacks (10 of those with re-roll to wound) and another 12 attacks with powerweapons (no save) or with powerfists (no save, double strength, but attack last) - although by this time you have already cleared out most of the unit you are attacking. Sliced Sushi anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cant put blood claws in a land rader ! it clearly states in the codex that they can only take rhinos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afaid you're mistaken grimnar00, the codex says they may not take Razorbacks. It does not say they may only take Rhinos.

Also, the text refers to transports, clearly talking about unit transports. The Crusader is a heavy support choice, not a transport. It just happens to have transport capability. Further evidence of the difference between the two comes from the fact that the Crusader is not restricted by the "transport only the unit for which it was bought" rule, that it rolls separately from a unit on reserves availability checks, and it occupies a force org slot. All indicate that it is not a transport, but a completely separate unit.

The arguement could be made that the FLUFF doesn't support their use of the Crusader, but its definitely allowed by the rules. As far as the BCs not being an important unit, when you add a Lord or Priest and a WG pack leader, that makes them pretty important in my book.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast