Couple Of Questions For You Imperials... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, my friend just started playing Imperial Guard and gave me a few questions to post on the forum and here they are:

1.Would it be ok to add Tallarn imperial guard in with a cadian army?

2.How many tanks should a Imperial guard army 2000pts for light infantry doctrine have?

3.Are sentinels worthy additions to an IG arm and what are they good for.

Any help with these questions would be great thanks in advance

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>S[COLOR=red]i[COLOR=blue]G[COLOR=purple]n[COLOR=orange]A[COLOR=yellow]t[COLOR=gray]U[COLOR=green]r[COLOR=blue]e[COLOR=red]?[COLOR=purple]</span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Sure, might look weird and be hard to explain fluff-wise, but who cares? Most importantly, models should look like what they are with reguards to weapons and gear.

2) Theres no magic number of tanks. Tanks have different roles and opinions are all over the place. Some people love to go tank heavy which can really present problems for an opponent who isnt expecting a lot of armor. However, the opposite is also true, someone not expecting to deal with hordes and hordes of infantry will not be able to wipe out an all infantry Guard list. I suggest playing somewhere in the middle, or atleast trying both styles (proxy models before buying expensive tanks) before you make a big investment.

3) I have a soft spot in my heart for sentinels, but that does not make them the best unit ever. If used well, Sentinels can be a great unit to have in your force. One of the neat things about Sentinels is that they can drop-in if you use the Drop Troops doctrine. This means you can land them just about anywhere, even behind your opponent. They are relatively cheap, but are not well armored. Try some different things, they can be a cheap walker with a big gun, or a drop in flame throwing menace against horde opponents.

My advice is buy several troops boxes if you&#39;re starting with few or no models, a heavy weapons platoon box and if you like the tanks, a Leman Russ Battletank, and go from there.

Your best bet is to play a lot of friendly games, read up on the codex and learn which units/tactics you have the most fun with.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always liked my Sentinels. You can always rely on them to start on the table, when sometimes the tanks might not (this also makes them a great choice to carry Improved Comms, which is a big army advantage that the IG have.) The free move is OK; it can do well for a clever player.

They are very cheap, have a good range on the Mulitlas, and can provide some staying power in close combat. Yes, they get killed easy, but the IG is more about numbers than toughness anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LivingMetal+Jan 7 2005, 05:12--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LivingMetal &#064; Jan 7 2005, 05:12)</div><div class='quotemain'>1.Would it be ok to add Tallarn imperial guard in with a cadian army?
    [snapback]295701[/snapback]
    [/b]

I have a desert themed army using Cadian miniatures and I&#39;ve considered using Tallarns as either veterans or light infantry, to represent the desert dwellers on the planet (the Cadians represent hivers.)
    It&#39;s a bit expensive but if he&#39;s not doing an entire army of Tallarns it&#39;s not too bad, and they look great IMO.

<!--QuoteBegin-BaronDeSade
    @Jan 7 2005, 06:44
    (this also makes them a great choice to carry Improved Comms, which is a big army advantage that the IG have.)
    [snapback]295768[/snapback]
    [/quote]
    Actually, the IG FAQ states that improved comms don&#39;t need to start on the table.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Tubal@Jan 7 2005, 22:14
    I have a desert themed army using Cadian miniatures and I&#39;ve considered using Tallarns as either veterans or light infantry, to represent the desert dwellers on the planet (the Cadians represent hivers.)
    [snapback]296361[/snapback]
    Heh, reminds me of Dune.

Yet, I have to say that Sentinels for me work best in Catachan Pattern, deep struck into enemy lines. It&#39;s certain doom for Fire Warriors / Marine Scouts / practically anything that bothers you in cover.

And as was mentioned, there&#39;s people like me who play all infantry without vehicles. Can be tough at times, and you&#39;ll miss those pie plates (unless you&#39;re wielding demo charges en masse), but it sure is fun to see a few hundred buggers on the table.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

improved comms can be put on tanks because they work even if the model is not present, just think, either end, speaker or reciever, can have the improved eqiupment to carry orders.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

1. of course. the only thing that makes a "Tallarn" Tallarn is the fluff and models (and kinda the doctrines).

but you simply can make a Tallarn army using cadian plastics and some easy converting. paint them in desert camo, and use the Tallarn doctrines if you want.

2. 2000? well i use a Russ/Demolisher/Basalisk 2Chimeras, Hellhound and 2 Sentinels in an 1850 point list. so that&#39;s 3 heavy tanks, 3 light tanks and 2 scout tanks.

but it&#39;s up to the army. you don&#39;t have to use any, or you can go all mechanized and max out. it&#39;s the beauty of IG

3. they&#39;re good for a couple reasons:
    a) good models&#33; they&#39;re just so darn cute&#33;
    b) "scout" special rule. means you have some armor on the table in escalation.
    c) can cap objectives
    d) move and shoot heavy weapons

but they also have a downside. fragile as hell&#33;&#33;&#33;
    AV10 opentopped = die asap

this means you gotta use them with some tact.
    1. don&#39;t put a lascannon on them unless you have lots of other prime targets for you enemy to be distarcted by&#33; for some reason, lascannon sentinels are "big threats" in the eyes of you oppoenent
    2. keep them cheap&#33; NO UPGRADES, only the gun&#33;
    3. keep them out of LOS of most of the enemy, use them as flankers
    4. capture objectives, it&#39;s what they do best&#33;
    5. tie up an enemy in CC. Str3 enemies can&#39;t hurt it in CC, Str4 enemies can be tied up for a turn or 2
    6. deepstrike them behind armor and unleash HeavyWeapons the turn they come in&#33;

+ Reply to Thread