Dreadnought Drop Pod Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of using a drop pod for a dread but I'm not sure what to give it. I was thinking of an assault cannon and ccw w/ heavy flamer. Are there any other configurations that you can think would be effective?

You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by red_talon@Jan 8 2005, 20:51
    I was thinking of using a drop pod for a dread but I'm not sure what to give it. I was thinking of an assault cannon and ccw w/ heavy flamer. Are there any other configurations that you can think would be effective?
    [snapback]297363[/snapback]
    Well, personally I like the Assault Cannon, however it would be a pretty effective anti-Tank machine if you gave it the Lascannon - drop it in behind tanks and kablooey! However, the Assault Cannon/CCW/Flamer will do a great job, simply because you can seriously get it up close and personal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take an assault cannon and missile launcher since your going to be in range of every weapon the enemy has you betetr have enough power to take out there biggest unit wiether it be termies or a tank in which case both weapons will do good.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red_talon
    Are there any other configurations that you can think would be effective?
    If you're playing DA why not the plasma cannon? No Gets Hot!!! (multiple shot away!), extra range, and more strength. Great for droppin in behind things and sending some hot plasma up their rear and distracting. Assault cannon is nice too but I like the extra range and extra strength even though I lose 2 rending shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on against who you play. against DE or Eldar I would same flamer because you shoot the hell out of them. against IG you can have the same configuration but you have to watch out where you land. Against SM or CSM I prefer the missile launcher with lascannon and them just walk to them. (you still got strenght 6)
    DonĀ“t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebeneezer
    If you're playing DA why not the plasma cannon? No Gets Hot!!! (multiple shot away!), extra range, and more strength. Great for droppin in behind things and sending some hot plasma up their rear and distracting. Assault cannon is nice too but I like the extra range and extra strength even though I lose 2 rending shots.
    Plasma Cannons are heavy 1. No multiple shots.

dead_raider*

Dro ppods do not suffer from the normal problems of deepstriking. That is their benefit. If you are too close to an enemy of impassable terrain you simply move the pod to the closest place it could land legaly.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    Plasma Cannons are heavy 1. No multiple shots.
    whooops you're right, I have been teased again by that rule book (I assumed that all plasma weapons were all capable of doing multiple shots, see what happens when you assume?!) That kind of nerfed my tactic :eek:, but I'd still use a drop pod for a dread. Thanks for correcting me Chaosbrynn I kind of feel dirty now playing with skewed rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your set up looks fine to me. Don't take a missile launcher -- if you want a support dread, give it a lascannon and missile launcher and just deploy it. The range on both weapons will let its fulfill its role from there just fine. Since you're drop podding it, I'm assuming you want it to wreak havoc in close combat -- true, with a missile launcher, you would still have strength 6 and a chance to destroy something on the drop...but you won't be ignoring armor saves, and strength 10 is much much better than strength 6. The assault cannon will be able to really soften up a squad before you get to it, as will the heavy flamer, and the assault cannon is also capable of lightly armored vehicles with decent rolls, and can kill any vehicle with great rolls.

If you are playing DA, the plasma cannon is definitely a viable option, especially if you want the dread to take out heavy infantry, but I would probably still go with the assault cannon. Why? The extra range on the plasma cannon is pretty much wasted, since you're presumably going to be drop podding within range of the assault cannon. Unless you're targeting a group that just deepstriked, you're likely to get 1-3 models with a plasma cannon, depending on coherency, whereas an assault cannon can always hit up to 4 models. Additionally, the plasma cannon does have better AP, but the rending from an assault cannon can make up for that, although it can be hit and miss depending on your rolls. 4 rolls * 1/6 chance of any numer = 2/3 chance of getting a 6 though. So, on average, the assault cannon is likely to do just slightly worse against heavy infantry, and will excel against light infantry.
    Sithlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do they really donĀ“t suffer the deep strike penalty. where can I read that I have looked the rules for the drop pod and didnĀ“t find something telling me they donĀ“t. if so my whole tactic is becoming different
    DonĀ“t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by dead_raider
    do they really donĀ“t suffer the deep strike penalty. where can I read that I have looked the rules for the drop pod and didnĀ“t find something telling me they donĀ“t. if so my whole tactic is becoming different
    Page 21, drop pod assault, third paragraph, last line.

"If this movement would take it into impassable terrain....."

Instead of looking over the rules. Read them
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast