Njal Stormcaller - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Simply that...

Is Njal Stormcaller still legal to play or is his omission from the Space Wolf Codex an indication that he may no longer be used?

Whilst I'm asking, same question applies the the Dreadnought 'Bjorn The Fellhanded'. Bjorn is still referred to and still lives (in a Dreadnought sense) according to the fluff, so I wonder why he isn't actualy in the Codex as a Special Character.

Wolfkin

Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im no SW guru, but i thinks its kinda like Salamanders Chaplain Xavier or Crimson Fists Captain Cortez, they didn't reprint them when they re-did the codexs but you can still use them. though as always, you'll probably want to check with officials before bringing them to a tourny. peace.
    "Guts & Glory, it's all you need! Your opponent's guts that is."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Im gonna go out on a limb here..

How do you suggest playing with either of those if they *Arent in the codex* ? Even if they were legal, i'd like to hear a way to actually have stats for them

it's legal to make a venerable dreadnought and say it's bjorn sure.. As in reality Bjorn BECAME the template for all venerable SW dreadnoughts.. and njar, he's prob just some random some "whatever" priest, rune? I dont know..

My point here, is that no you cannot play with them because they dont even have a codex entry so logically there is no feasible way to play with them

I suppose you could use their second edition rules! Go go space marines with S5, T5 and 8 weapon skill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

it's completely different from Salamanders. He's talking about 2nd edition special characters which is absolutely not the same as Xavier

These models do not exist in 3rd edition, you cant bring them at a tourney, and you cant ask your opponent to let you because they do not exist

Also please note that there is no reprint of the SW codex, so no idea why salamanders is even compared as they are a minor chapter with a semi-codex vs SW is a major chapter with a real codex. Only real comparison would be when they reprint the other 2 major chapters (and the black bandwagoners)

(This post was made after my first upon reading someone who posted while I was typing up my earlier response)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

I have stats and special rules for both Njal and Bjorn.

Can't remember where I got them, but I'm assuming they might have appeared in WD or some other GW publication at some time.

It's unusual for GW to release a 'named' figure without producing stats for him somewhere or another... isn't it?

wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wolfkin@Jan 9 2005, 09:55
    I have stats and special rules for both Njal and Bjorn.

Can't remember where I got them, but I'm assuming they might have appeared in WD or some other GW publication at some time.

It's unusual for GW to release a 'named' figure without producing stats for him somewhere or another... isn't it?

wolfkin
    [snapback]297667[/snapback]
    The fact of the matter remains thatif there is no codex entry or recent FAQ stating that you may use tem ten you can't. I would love to use Kyril Grimblood or Wolf Guard Ranulf but I cant because they didn't transfer to the next edition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wolfkin@Jan 9 2005, 15:55
    [snapback]297667[/snapback]
    Stormcaller is an archive figure and Bjorn is simply called SW Venerable Dreadnought, so those characters aren't actually for sale anymore.

If you can find a official source for the rules than maybe you can use them. Some computer printouts from an unknown source isn't going to be popular with the judges... :)
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Njal can still be bought from GW mailorder, and so he does stilll exist in the universe - albeit in the collectors section.

As for legality in tournaments, i think you have more chance of fielding a cheescake as a Land Raider Crusader. No current codex rules, so no current legality. Friendly games he should be ok, as to where you would get his stats though, i don't know, and then your opponent would have to agree to his usage.

If you wanted to use the model, it's would have to be a case of use him as one of the current listings - Rune Priest with relevant weapons/armour and wargear, i believe you can use "chooser of the slain" if you were to field him.

Not exactly what you were after, i know, but not really much you can do, if it's not in the current codex.

As to why GW dropped him, if you keep special characters across to the current edition, you can't sell those new characters at £10 a pop eg Logan Grimnar, as gamers are already likely to have the special characters from the previous incarnation of the game.

Remember folks GW is here to make money, and as such, codex rewrites and new edition rules will appear every so often, to make illegal some things and models, and make new options legal, so that you have to continually buy new things for your army.

Sorry - ranting mode has kicked in something chronic today.
    Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and you cant ask your opponent to let you because they do not exist
    kirasu you can ask your oppenent if you can use them, you can make up a guy thats got all stats at 10 and is 1 point and you can ask them if you can use them, its not to likely that they would let you, but sometimes they will. if someone made a special charecter, i would let them use a special charecter against me if it wasnt to bad and was pretty balanced (and of courese had some fluff).
    "hey look, those tau scouts are using some kind of lasgun on our tanks"
    last words of tank gunner Karth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WD 227 pg 83 and 84

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast