"count As" Ultramarines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, i'm wondering, as Ultras use the basic codex list. Have any of you ever used your own army as an ultramarine army?
    This was a concern of mine in the last codex, when people used Calgar etc and "counted" their army as Ultras just to get the extra units. :glare:
    Does anyone do this?
    And does anyone else think this is wrong?
    Is/was this a common problem?

As i would love to use Honour Guard, but i won't unless my army is an Ultramarine army, which it isn't. So i'd just use the models as Veterans.

Tolerance is Ignorance

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/knoblarmaster/' target='_blank'>Knoblars rule</a>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Well technically according to the new codex you may use any of the armies with a standard FOC and all the allowable units. It has been my exoerience however that special characters are most effective when fighting with their own rules as opposed to the ultramarines. So, for instance. If your oponent wants to use Shrike and does uses the ultramarines FOC then most likelly he will have more tanks and transports (as this would be the only point). This would be less effective in combination with Shrike then the standard extremelly fast Raven Guard army he is followed by.

So, if your oponent really wants to do this I say let them (although you technically have to as it is legal).
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats FOC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-orce
    O-rginization
    C-hart

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:black'>Order Of the Black Rose</span>
    <span style='color:red'>Blood God&#39;s Initiate</span>
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it also unfluffy being an ultramarines commander and only fielding two 8 man tactical squads and a 7 man scout squad in a 1500pts list. Is that enough for 1500pts?

(sry didnt want to start a new thread)
    The Holy Bolter

998. model bolter: Godwyn pattern with ammo counter, sinister/dexter lock mechanism and sickle magazine with 30 rounds of .75 calibre bolts with diamantine tips, depleted deuterium core &amp; mass reactive detonators. Fires in 4 round bursts.

&quot;A bolter is a treasured weapon; but in the hands of a Space Marine it is a divine instrument of the Emperor&#39;s wrath&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe most of the special characters specify that they can only be taken in a X chapter space marine army. I know shrike can only be taken in a raven guard army of 1500+. On the other hand, I don&#39;t see any problem with saying that your army is a successor chapter of said chapter and using all of the rules for that chapter including it&#39;s special characters. I do see a problem with using one chapter&#39;s special rules, then including a special character from a different army. For instance, if I put shrike in my blood angels army and tried to say he had black rage. That sort of thing would unbalance the army.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Brother Zebadiah@Jan 25 2005, 09:51
    I believe most of the special characters specify that they can only be taken in a X chapter space marine army.* I know shrike can only be taken in a raven guard army of 1500+.* On the other hand, I don&#39;t see any problem with saying that your army is a successor chapter of said chapter and using all of the rules for that chapter including it&#39;s special characters.* I do see a problem with using one chapter&#39;s special rules, then including a special character from a different army.* For instance, if I put shrike in my blood angels army and tried to say he had black rage.* That sort of thing would unbalance the army.
    [snapback]311814[/snapback]
    This is correct. The special character&#39;s entry states that they may only be used with a specific chapter.

And, on a side note, no, I don&#39;t think you should be allowed to make a successor chapter and have the same special characters. There aren&#39;t two Marneus Calgar&#39;s just floating around the universe, much less hundreds, and there&#39;s surely only one set of Gauntlets of Ultramar. I think you use the chapter if you want their special characters and units, or you make your own and deal with the disadvantages that includes.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

I&#39;ve often pondered myself that. While my army uses a Dark Angel&#39;s background (and I&#39;ll never change that), I fight it as a codex chapter. I&#39;ve often thought of whether it would be feasible to have an honour guard for my chapter, especially if I dropped the traits and such. It would be a fun unit to include in my army list, and I&#39;d love to spend time converting 10 marines with axes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

I am a fan of WYSIWYG and fluff.

so if you want a special character paint your army properly and stick to it. in most cases there is some kind of disadvantage that comes with using specialized armies and charcaters that should somehow offset their advantages (even if that is sometimes not really the case).

I usually put fluff above the rules, so I am thinking about adding a tyrannic war evteran squad to my Lamenters. After all the few guys that are left really know how to fight &#39;nids. and it was the Scythes and the Lamenters who came up with the hellfire shell...
    Shut up and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Cypher&#045;@Jan 25 2005, 13:36
    And, on a side note, no, I don&#39;t think you should be allowed to make a successor chapter and have the same special characters. There aren&#39;t two Marneus Calgar&#39;s just floating around the universe, much less hundreds, and there&#39;s surely only one set of Gauntlets of Ultramar. I think you use the chapter if you want their special characters and units, or you make your own and deal with the disadvantages that includes.
    [snapback]312033[/snapback]
    I agree totally.
    But it also annoys me when my main SM opponent uses his army. First it was Ultramarines (With a Furiso ), then he painted the shoulder pads black. Creating Sprit-Marines ( :lol: Hehehe), after we judged his originality. Then they became Blue Templars (Black Templar rules). Then when the new codex came out, they became Ultras again, with the same colour scheme, but now he gets 3 cool charaters and two tough new units&#33;

Which irritates me as one of my main armies is nids, (Tyrannic war veterans and Cassius will cause me pain). so i cant help thinking that his army changes to suit the current sitiuation... :realmad:
    Tolerance is Ignorance

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/knoblarmaster/' target='_blank'>Knoblars rule</a>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast