Librarium Online Forums banner

Need Some Help On My Ruffriders

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  neutron 
#1 ·
I need a second opinion... or perhaps a few more ;)

i'm making up a squad of RuffRiders, the catch is, they're not going to be on horses/bikes...

instead they're going to have jump packs (SM backpacks).

however, i'm debating in my mind what weapons i should give.

Hunting Lances and LasPistols

or

Lasguns and Meltabombs

personally i think Lances would help out my army better... of course som fast anti tank would be nice...

however, i'm worried that Cadians with jumppacks and big spears (high elf plastic spears) would look.... odd....

i'm sorry i don't have any pics, but you'll have to use your imagination ;)

Cadian Plastics, with SM backpacks.
w/ either Lasguns or High Elf Spears...

which would:

a) be more effective in a primarly shooty IG army?
b) look better in a Cadian themed army?

thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by BoxANT+Jan 29 2005, 02:02--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BoxANT @ Jan 29 2005, 02:02)</div><div class='quotemain'>the catch is, they're not going to be on horses/bikes...
[snapback]315190[/snapback]​
[/b]

In which case they're not Rough Riders, on account of not riding anything.

Originally posted by BoxANT@Jan 29 2005, 02:02
instead they're going to have jump packs (SM backpacks).
Why would the Quartermasters have jump-packs? They're sacred technology, rare enough as it is. Giving them to Imperial Guard would write off serious amounts of hardware. Which the Imperium isn't wasteful enough to do.

<!--QuoteBegin-BoxANT
@Jan 29 2005, 02:02
a) be more effective in a primarly shooty IG army?
[/quote]

Why should it make any difference? You're effectively claiming they're "counts as" Rough Riders, so they'd go well in an army in which Rough Riders go well.

But the whole idea... I don't like it.

#3 ·
well thanks for not answering my question :)

we all have our own opinions.

i understand that these are not RuffRiders in the sense they ride horses, they have jump packs instead. however, rule wise they'll play the same as RR.

again i'm not asking "do you like the idea of guardsmen w/ jumpacks counting as RR"

instead i'm asking which would be better from a tactical/aesthetic sense.

#4 ·
Spears would be interesting... hark back to Custodians, which would be quite a weird look (although they wouldn't have the plumed helmets). But if you intend to use them in a primarily shooty army, I recommend them having lasguns, as you seem to want to use them as mobile firebases (that's the way it seems to come across).

#6 ·
Originally posted by Xerxes@Jan 28 2005, 19:54
Spears would be interesting... hark back to Custodians, which would be quite a weird look (although they wouldn't have the plumed helmets). But if you intend to use them in a primarily shooty army, I recommend them having lasguns, as you seem to want to use them as mobile firebases (that's the way it seems to come across).
[snapback]315229[/snapback]​

well i'm looking at them in two ways.

mobile anti tank (meltabombs)

or

mobile counter charge (lances)

my army doesn't have any CC units, so a counter charge could catch my opponent off guard

however, my 1850 list's anti tanks is only has 3 lascannons 3 missle launchers and 6 meltaguns... so i could use a lil more anti tanks

i'm thinking of just making up 2 squads
10 lasrifle meltabombers and 8 lancers lol

#7 ·
Your Army should already have enough anti-tank, so I think that that the counter-attack is more constructive add on.

I don't think they would look to odd......

Personally I though that the Imperium would give IG mountain bikes. I personally love Mountain biking, so that is how I would do it. I don't like the Horses either.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Diggums Hammer@Jan 28 2005, 21:27
Personally I though that the Imperium would give IG mountain bikes. I personally love Mountain biking, so that is how I would do it. I don't like the Horses either.
[snapback]315268[/snapback]​

you figure out a way to make cheap ruffriders on bikes, and i'm there!

but the only way i can think of is to basically use a scout bike, and i'm not rich enough to afford 10 of those :(

yeah i'm going w/ the lances.

but i'm gonna take 10 SM backpacks and put them on normal guys if i wanna try out non lance RR.

#9 ·
I really like the Biker conversions on the GW site, but will never invest $80 into a couple biker models or whatever their rediculous kit cost.

I thought about using lego bikes, but I dont have any of those either.

As to why the Imperial Guard, with the technology and production means to support mechanized armies and armored companies does not have Military Police on bikes, I will never know.

#10 ·
The conversion corner bikes can be made at a third of the cost they list on GW mailorder... they use a complete SM bike just for the handlebars, plastic missiles for the front forks, a pintle mount for the back axle, etc. Since they sell the complete kit they include ALL of the sprues you will need. The economical converter would just buy the reaver jetbikes and build everything else from scratch and bits they already have.
Handlebars - plastic rod.
Front fork - carved sprue or square/round plastic rod.
Back suspension - carved sprue or plastic card or rod etc.
Headlight - cadian radio backpack in bitzbox
Driver - bitzbox

If you collect Cadians you should only have to order the heavy weapon wheels and the rever jetbikes.

#11 ·
(Y) Damn good money saving idea there BoxAnt (Y)
I might have to 'borrow' it :shifty:

If your worried about spears looking too large.....cut them short.
I would have them held in the javalin type position, combine this with only using the legs that look as though their running (on one foot) they can be pouncing on the enemy.

Also so the jump packs look less like SM jump packs use the Grav Shutes on the new Drop trooper people from Forgeworld.
Check the Frontpage of LO for the link. I think they work out cheaper and look less advandced, perfect for IG.

I would go for the counter assault:
A) You should always have enough anti tank capabilities, even if you think you don't
B) They will look better with spear/javalins
C) Go Flying Gaurdsmen of DOOOM!

Writes idea on piece of paper and puts in pocket :shifty:

#12 ·
Originally posted by Archaon@Jan 29 2005, 13:57
(Y) Damn good money saving idea there BoxAnt (Y)
I might have to 'borrow' it :shifty:

If your worried about spears looking too large.....cut them short.
I would have them held in the javalin type position, combine this with only using the legs that look as though their running (on one foot) they can be pouncing on the enemy.

Also so the jump packs look less like SM jump packs use the Grav Shutes on the new Drop trooper people from Forgeworld.
Check the Frontpage of LO for the link. I think they work out cheaper and look less advandced, perfect for IG.

I would go for the counter assault:
A) You should always have enough anti tank capabilities, even if you think you don't
B) They will look better with spear/javalins
C) Go Flying Gaurdsmen of DOOOM!

Writes idea on piece of paper and puts in pocket :shifty:
[snapback]315709[/snapback]​

thaks for the vote of confidence ;)

i like the idea of using Grav Shutes... but they run about $16 for 10. i guess that's not too bad, but i can get 10 SM backpacks for $4.

and the dozen spears only ran $12 (and you get a bunch of other stuff on the sprues!)

can anyone think of a good way to slightly modify the SM back pack, so you wont look at it and say "why are those guardsmen wearing SM back packs?"

#13 ·
Originally posted by BoxANT@Jan 30 2005, 07:03
but i can get 10 SM backpacks for $4.
[snapback]316123[/snapback]​
Where? on the GW website it says 50p for 1 pack sprue (I think)

Looking at my Jump pack Chaplain what I can think of is to cut it down right to the boosters.

Where the central ridgy bits are and get rif of the exhaust ports.

If you at the Jump pack from the side maybe a millimetre up from where the round bit ends.

Thats all I can think of atm. Good luck show us some pics when your finished

#14 ·
you're talking about the actuall assault marine jump packs. yeah those are ~$2.50 each.

i'm talking about SM rebreather back packs :( the normal back pack that every SM has on.

those are $2.00 for 5.

i thought about using assault jump packs, but it would run me $25 for my squad of 10 :(

i'm thinking of doing some kinda of combination of a SM rebreather and a Vox backpack... to make it look different.

#15 ·
I actually don't think I would let you use them as Rough Riders as they are much smaller than a normal Rough Rider mini and would therefore be easier to cover and such.
All in all (also fluff-wise) I don't like the idea. I thin you should pull your sleeves up and get to work on some bikes. They would look much better than this half-hearted idea...

#16 ·
Originally posted by BobaHat@Jan 30 2005, 12:51
I actually don't think I would let you use them as Rough Riders as they are much smaller than a normal Rough Rider mini and would therefore be easier to cover and such.
All in all (also fluff-wise) I don't like the idea. I thin you should pull your sleeves up and get to work on some bikes. They would look much better than this half-hearted idea...
[snapback]316480[/snapback]​
thank you for your opinion.

but again, the point of this post is to determine which set up to use a) lance or b) rifle/meltabomb

horses do not fit my fluff, as my guys are from a high tech/economy planet.
and bikes would take too much of my precious cash.

if my opponent ever said "hey those guys are not fair cause they're on small bases" i wouldn't use them. however, since i rarely play in tournys, i would hope that my casual opponent wouldn't care, since to object would be rather nit-picky.

#17 ·
Or you could just put them on cavalry bases and spare yourself the problem of anal opponents.

I like the idea Box. I think I'll be #2 to steal it from you. :)

#18 ·
Originally posted by BoxANT@Jan 30 2005, 12:44
you're talking about the actuall assault marine jump packs. yeah those are ~$2.50 each.

i'm talking about SM rebreather back packs :( the normal back pack that every SM has on.

those are $2.00 for 5.
i thought about using assault jump packs, but it would run me $25 for my squad of 10 :(
i'm thinking of doing some kinda of combination of a SM rebreather and a Vox backpack... to make it look different.
[snapback]316477[/snapback]​
Try using the chaos marine backpacks.....the exhausts sticking out further remind me of the grav-packs mentioned in "guns of Tanith"

just shave off all the chaos icons

#19 ·
Originally posted by neutron@Jan 31 2005, 10:11
Try using the chaos marine backpacks.....the exhausts sticking out further remind me of the grav-packs mentioned in "guns of Tanith"

just shave off all the chaos icons
[snapback]317265[/snapback]​

hey that's a good idea!

they do look alot more "jumppackish"

just gotta remove the chaos icons and BAAM ;)

and only 50cents each.

i think i'll use normal small bases, but buy calvary bases. if my opponent bitches, i'll just tape them to the calvary bases.

#20 ·
Originally posted by BoxANT@Jan 31 2005, 12:01
hey that's a good idea!

they do look alot more "jumppackish"

just gotta remove the chaos icons and BAAM ;)

and only 50cents each.
i think i'll use normal small bases, but buy calvary bases. if my opponent bitches, i'll just tape them to the calvary bases.
[snapback]317390[/snapback]​
Glad i could help :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.