Librarium Online Forums banner

Sm Kill Teams

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Jodfrey 
#1 ·
As the question asks, what do you take in your SM Kill Teams?

What has worked for you, and what wouldn't you use? What weapons have you found work best, what tactics have paid you the big W, and what traits/characteristics do you take/use?

I play SW, and have a number of Kill Team options, none of yet have been proved in battle, as i've not played Kill Team as of yet, hence me asking what works for you guys.

Do you take KT's from one troop choice or do you mix it up and pay the penalty? Do you take Heavy Weapons, do you take weapons that allow you to shoot and assault when necessary, or do you take your trusty bolters into the scenario? DO you take power weapons and powerfists, or do you rely on CCW? DO you powergame, as much as you can, or do you take standard troops?

I ask as my likley opponenets are a veteran gamer and a newby, but none of us have played KT before, so some of your thoughts on SM/SW Kt's will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Jodfrey@Jan 31 2005, 05:03
What has worked for you, and what wouldn't you use? What weapons have you found work best, what tactics have paid you the big W, and what traits/characteristics do you take/use?

[snapback]317078[/snapback]​
Please do not interpret this as a personal attack. But I think you miss the point. the point of playing kill teams is not to play tournament style, but to tell a story. It is about a small team on a suicide mission trying to succeed against the odds. Even if you lose the battle and all your guys died, it should still be entertaining (think "dirty dozen" or Kelly's Heroes").

So what ever you take it should work as long as it works from the fluff point of view.

everything is fine as long as you stick to the kill team rules. You could also use this as the opportunity to finally convert that squad of mifirs/lone wolves you always wanted to do.

And I haven't had time yet to play Kill team either. But I will, once I have some time.

#3 ·
I played my first kill team games today,in fact we played a couple. Very tense and very fun.

I took;
Veteran Sergeant with power weapon and plasma pistol
Tactical Marine with heavy bolter
Scout
Assault Marine Veteran Sergeant with power weapon
Assault Marine

both assault marines had their jump packs removed.

Also i noticed that one of the example teams in the rulebook (the IG one), has broken an immutable law by having a template and heavy weapon, which seems a bit stupid as its in a rulebook.

#4 ·
Lamenter - i understand and even agree with the points you make, and yes armies are a personal thing whether KT or 500-3000 points.

So the reason i ask what works for others is, by playing marines i have very limited options with regards to what i take and the number of models i end up with. I know that other races are imposed to the same limits, but with SW's not necessarily being cheap, and their weapons options being limited, i wanted to see who plays straight troop choices and who mixes troops up and pays the penalty.

So i was also asking who tools a few men up with special weapons and who takes standard troopers?

I have a number of lists for my KT, which i will post later, as i don't have them with me.

But they were along the lines of:

Wolf Guard Leader with bolter and power axe
2 grey hunters one with bolter and CCW, one with bolt pistol and power fist
2 blood claws, one with BP and power axe, one with flamer.

This wasn't one of the lists, as i can't remember exactly what i took. but this gives an idea of what i am taking - if anything i think i had meltaguns, but then noticed the no weapon above strength 7 mutable rule, and so changed my list.

Rovens - how did your KT fair against the enemy? Did you manage to get to shoot the HB? Was it worth while taking it? Now having played KT, would you change you KT, if so why, if not why?

#5 ·
i use 2 assault marines and spend the rest on tactical marines (one with a flamer, and one sergeant with a power weapon)

this kill team worked great, with the assault marines jeting ahead, and wiping out the forward looking units fast, and the tactical marines coming up behind in support

#6 ·
When you say you had the assault marines jet ahead, did they have jump packs on? I thought you weren't able to take jump packs, at least not without paying a hefty penalty, that and your KT has to be coherent at all times, meaning you can't split the squad up.

I may have misread your post, but if i've read it correctly, i'm pretty sure this is against the spirit and rules of the game.

I would love to field a KT with bikes, and do likewise to what you suggested above, but that defeats the purpose of KT.

#8 ·
Nope, no bikes and yes you have to maintain unit coherency. Yes the heavy bolter was useful as my other troops were short range, i fired it twice i think, i used it as it destroyed a brute squad each time as i was fightiing eldar.

I faired pretty well, making it to the objective but my last man died to his exarch, could have gone either way though. The only thing i would change would be to only take one veteran sergeant and two was an overkill. With the points i saved on upgrading to a vet and his power weapon i could afford another scout and a tac marine.

Also by only having one vet id be breaking less of the mutable laws so id only have been up against 10 squads instead of 11.

#9 ·
I think it's going to be a case of assault weapons, such as flamer, loads of pistols, both bolt and plasma, and maybe something slightly more potent and with a decent range, as well as PW and PF wherever i can put them.

Cheers for the comments, any more will be appreciated.

#10 ·
I take mostly scouts, with a WGL and a few GH's. 2x Meltaguns and 4x Plasma Pistols, and the WGL has a Power Axe. That's jsut because I play mostly CSM and SM Brutes though, I'd probably take flamers and such against Orks/Ig/Nids/Eldar.

#11 ·
Well, I would probably take the standard Bolter boys, as I have no experience, and just experiment for a while.

#12 ·
Scouts with sniper rifles are way cool and fluffy here. I think a scout squad is the coolest kill team squad, just mix the weapons a bit and don't take the heavy weapons as they are supposed to be sneaking. :blink:

#13 ·
In my kill team I have a 5 man assualt squad, all with furious charge, a vet. with a power weapon. (My kill team is something like this I have to do it off the top of my head)

#15 ·
I played a variation of Kill Team a few night back, we rolled the mission, where the KT have completed the objective and now need to get out of there sharpish - their new objective being kill all brute squads.

I say we played a variation as we negated the klaxon and roll to control the brute squads, as the KT had just triggered a volcano to erupt - that kind of event would make all brute squads aware, so we just used common sense in that the brutes would mass on the "event" and until they had LOS on the KT they would keep heading for the event.

I played both brute and KT, and both myself and my fellow gamer got slaughtered by the Brutes, basically through bad trooper choice and weaponary. I chose a GH pack as my KT with a WGBL, but they all had bolters which meant i couldn't assault if firing, something which i forgot, so open fired on a brute squad and were unable to assault them, which lead to my anihaltion.

What did i learn - you need to balance assault weaponary with something that has a better range.

#16 ·
I played a variation of Kill Team a few night back, we rolled the mission, where the KT have completed the objective and now need to get out of there sharpish - their new objective being kill all brute squads.

I say we played a variation as we negated the klaxon and roll to control the brute squads, as the KT had just triggered a volcano to erupt - that kind of event would make all brute squads aware, so we just used common sense in that the brutes would mass on the "event" and until they had LOS on the KT they would keep heading for the event.

I played both brute and KT, and both myself and my fellow gamer got slaughtered by the Brutes, basically through bad trooper choice and weaponary. I chose a GH pack as my KT with a WGBL, but they all had bolters which meant i couldn't assault if firing, something which i forgot, so open fired on a brute squad and were unable to assault them, which lead to my anihaltion.

What did i learn - you need to balance assault weaponary with something that has a better range/fire power

#17 ·
If you ask me, choice in brutes is also quite important. If you play a SM kill team against IG brutes, SM have won no contest. Bolters rip through them like a genestealer through a conscript.

However despite that I think IG should really be one of the only races used as brutes, no other races really capture that weak throwaway unit that does the most boring and simple tasks.

For an SM KT.....

A Vet serg with power weapon, bolt pistol and Combat shield. This will see you through combat.
A plasma toting loony and a sniper scout. A CC scout and a bolter marine.

Varied and under point limit. Competetive and has shooting and CC. Fluff can be made for those characters with ease.

#18 ·
I'm sure i have missed something somewhere in the KT rules, and i've probably overlooked the blatantly obvious ruling, but what are the rules for picking your brute teams? What limitations can you put on them, can they take any weaponary, do they have to come from specific troop choices, can they only take standard weaponary?

I can understand your point about IG being the only real brute force choice, as you wouldn't really have marines walking around doing very little on sentry duty, but as i only have my pups to choose from, they will have to be my KT and brute squad choice. Although i am looking at other chapters for my brute boss, just for something to stand out a little more, that is not over powerful or unusable as most of my pups special characters would be.

Again your help would be appreciated with brute squad choice rulings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.