Librarium Online Forums banner

Ravenwing Question

626 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chaosbrynn 
#1 ·
In the Dark Angels Codex, all Bikes, Attack Bikes and Land Speeders cost 5 points extra due to the 'Jink' skill.

With the introduction of the new Space Marine codex, and the reduction in points cost of the Bikes, I assume Ravenwing Bikes reduce in points cost also whilst maintaining the 5 points extra for 'Jink'. Could anyone confirm whether I am right or wrong?

Moreover, with regards to Land Speeders, do Ravenwing now have access to all 3 types of Land Speeder, with appropriate cost for weapons etc (i.e increased cost of Assault Cannon), and then an additional 5 points cost?

Finally, In the Dark Angels Codex, Ravenwing may fit both Assault Cannon and Multi-Melta to their Land Speeders. Am I right in assuming they now follow the Space Marine Codex for armourment?

Thanks for any help

Wolfkin

#2 ·
With the introduction of the new Space Marine codex, and the reduction in points cost of the Bikes, I assume Ravenwing Bikes reduce in points cost also whilst maintaining the 5 points extra for 'Jink'. Could anyone confirm whether I am right or wrong?
Yeah, they would cost less, but have to pay 5 more for the jinx rule. In the end it works great for us da players. :D

Moreover, with regards to Land Speeders, do Ravenwing now have access to all 3 types of Land Speeder, with appropriate cost for weapons etc (i.e increased cost of Assault Cannon), and then an additional 5 points cost?
I'm not completly sure on this one. The way I think it goes is that ravenwing have to pay the points for the jink rule, but pay less for assault cannon. Basicly the same price for the same thing plus jinx. :blink: Unfortuntly I don't think that we can get the different types of land speeders.

Finally, In the Dark Angels Codex, Ravenwing may fit both Assault Cannon and Multi-Melta to their Land Speeders. Am I right in assuming they now follow the Space Marine Codex for armourment?
Not sure on this one either. I thought that you only follow the da codex for armourment on ravenwing since it doesn't tell you otherwise. GW needs to be just a little bit more clear. :wacko:

#3 ·
Originally posted by wolfkin@Feb 1 2005, 22:24
[snapback]318803[/snapback]​
I'm pretty sure they can still have any combination they want (hvy flamer and hvy bolter, or melta and assault cannon).

As for bikes, however (correct me if i'm wrong), the revised FAQs don't say to use different rules than those stated in codex DA (for the deathwing, it says use regular termies at +5 pts). If we still use regular Ravenwing, that means that we can get bolt pistols for our riders and stuff, as stated in codex DA.

#4 ·
Normally...

all the separate codecies that are still valid, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, etc, keep their own point costs and options. So no, your Land Speeders would be exactly as stated in their codex.

Their point cost would be the same as the DA codex, the armament options are the same, etc. If its listed in your codex (and not modified by the FAQ) then its the same.

What changes are the rules for those items, i.e. how the assault cannon works, the move rules for the Land Speeder, etc.

Only units that are listed as "see the Space Marine Codex" follow all the new rules in the new codex.

but...

What causes some confusion is the part about "ignore Typhoons and Tornados" in the FAQ. It seems to imply your Land Speeders may use the options available to all Land Speeders from the Space Marine codex. That would mean they use the point costs for those variations, and of course the messes up the point costs and options listed in your codex.

My take is use Land Speeders exactly as stated in your codex, but they may take the upgrades for Tornados and Typhoons at the costs listed in the SM codex.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, your amswers have been a great help.

I'm a bit perturbed over the cost of bikes however. If Bikes remain at the cost listed in the Dark Angels Codex it makes them mighty expensive in comparison to normal ones. At 40 points they are now 8 points more, wheras they were only 5 points more under the old rules. Given that nothing on either bike has changed, it seems rather wrong that their comparative points cost should rise.

Dark_Angel_Grand_Master
If we still use regular Ravenwing, that means that we can get bolt pistols for our riders and stuff, as stated in codex DA.
I take your point, but I've never seen much point in taking Bolt Pistols or close combat weapons. To my knowledge they do not bestow an additional close combat attack, and I cannot see the need to fire a Bolt Pistol when the Bike has a perfectly good TL-Bolter on board.

WolfRaider
My take is use Land Speeders exactly as stated in your codex, but they may take the upgrades for Tornados and Typhoons at the costs listed in the SM codex.
I agree, and this was my take too. My reason for asking was mainly to seek advice on the Typhoon upgrade which was not an option for Ravenwing before.

Incidentally WolfRaider, I currently have 21 Bikes, 3 Attack Bikes and 9 Land Speeders painted (or partially) in Space Wolf colours. I have found them reasonably effective but are a serious points sink given the fact that we have to take so many HQ units.

I am considering repainting them in Ravenwing Black and creating this army. I have a substantial Wolf army and am reasonably sure I won't miss them, and I find Wolves are perfectly okay fighting without them. I wonder, what's your take on this?

regards and thanks,
Wolfkin

#6 ·
Originally posted by wolfkin+Feb 1 2005, 22:24--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wolfkin @ Feb 1 2005, 22:24)</div><div class='quotemain'>With the introduction of the new Space Marine codex, and the reduction in points cost of the Bikes, I assume Ravenwing Bikes reduce in points cost also whilst maintaining the 5 points extra for 'Jink'. Could anyone confirm whether I am right or wrong?
[/b]

Nope, you must use the cost listed in the codex. People are getting this confused with th extra 5 points you must pay for stubborn on all HQ characters.

Originally posted by wolfkin@Feb 1 2005, 22:24
Yes, the base cost for a ravenwing landspeeder is 55 points. Any upgrades not in the Dark Angel Codex can be found in the new SM codex.

<!--QuoteBegin-wolfkin
@Feb 1 2005, 22:24
[/quote]

No, Ravenwing may still have this equipment loadout and they are the "only" ones who can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.