Grey Knight Names - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

While looking around at painting tips for Grey Knights, I noticed that each has a small banner attached to his shoulder pad upon which his name should be written. Now, this seems like a very cool device for what is perhaps the most elite army in the game--that each soldier be individually named, but it does leave one with the problem of coming up with all those names.

So, here's the question: what type of names are common in the Imperium, and more importantly, amongst Grey Knights/Space Marines. Does anyone know? What do you name your knights?

Also, each terminator is supposed to be displaying individual Heraldry--any ideas on designing/finding heraldry for these guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Imperium uses a lot of older names, usually taken from Greek or Roman history, or even something that sounds like that. For instance Gaius, Julius, or pretty well anything that ends in -us or -ius will sound "Imperial". Just check out the Daemonhunters codex (or Space marines codex) to find some names that are usual for elite warriors of the Imperium in the 41st millenium.

For more inspiration look up other myths or ancient names throughout history. You can just use an internet search engine to find them. Also, check the back of your dictionary under the Biographical Index and just start picking out names that sound good to you. Remember, pick powerful sounding names. After all, you don't want the elite of your elite army to be named Lou or Stanley something.

In addition, you could choose names from some of your favourite movies, books, or other sci-fi. If you don't want to copy them exactly, change them a bit - put in an extra syllable here and there, or change some of the letters. And finally, you can just make up some names that sound powerful to you...Dreagasus....see, that's just off the top of my head, but it certainly sounds like a name that a Grey Knight might have.

In the end, you can pick any name you want, but I think you'll agree that you don't want to choose anything that sounds too modern and plain. Those terminators are unique, and they deserve some rare names.

Oh, and don't call any of them Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another place that you might find some grey knight names is in the Grey knight novel by ben counter. I used a lot of names from that book for my names. Also you could try finding some cool names in the horus heresy sketch book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got a list of every latin name if you want it , PM me if you do .
    AE-86 Twin cam corolla . a beaut !

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/imperator-judicium' target='_blank'>Please visit my website . Imperator -=][=- Judicium .</a>

<a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Mojo.jojo' target='_blank'>LOL &#33; this is one of the funiest videos ive ever seen &#33;</a>

join the librarium-online dawn of war clan <a href='http://www.freewebs.com/librarium/' target='_blank'>HERE</a>

<a href='http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_slayer/index.php?showforum=1' target='_blank'>Check when the next clan game is on here</a>

Member Supreme Grand Master Sky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Houston said. Just add "ius" and "us" to any name. Try your friends names.

eg. Davius, Henrius, Johnus etc
    Purge the daemon where ever it may be&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Originally posted by mojo jojo@Feb 7 2005, 20:38
    ive got a list of every latin name if you want it , PM me if you do .
    [snapback]322965[/snapback]
    I very very much doubt it lists every name, but what the hell... send it to me so I can see what ones are missing ^_^

Knape@Librarium-Online.com

+ Reply to Thread