Dh Army Troop Selection - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geyknight and geyknight terminator are quite expensive. If i want to create a DH PURITANT army list, i will replace geyknight with a lot of stormtroopers and use geyknight terminator for DS and bodyguards of GM. Basically, i don't want to include geyknight in my DH army BUT I, however; will include a lot of stormtroopers +GKTs+ Dreadnaughts+GM+assasin.

1-is this the best option to have enough troops on the tables and still have enough power to kick some serious arsssssssss.?

2-3 Dreadnaughts in 1 battle(between 1000-2250 pts) is too much.?

i want to hear what my fellow DH generals and other generals think about this idea.

thank you very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

1-is this the best option to have enough troops on the tables and still have enough power to kick some serious arsssssssss.?
    The best way to have both high numbers and high strength (imo) is an IG army with inducted GKT. That way you don't have to mess around with DH Troops choices and all that, which I really am not a big fan of.

That said, using just Stormtroopers is definitely an option. A lot of people do just that, saving their GK for Fast Attack slots, and then of course the HQ & Elite GKT squads. The best way to do this is to give each IST unit a dedicated transport - a good mix of Chimeras and Rhinos is best, because they serve different purposes - and avoid overloading them with IST Vets and all that stuff, since they become too expensive too fast usually. Always give 2x of the same special weapon to every IST squad - 2x meltaguns goes well with Rhinos, for example, and 2x plasma/GL go better with Chimeras.

Don't be cheesy and take two minimum squads of Stormtroopers and load up the rest on GKT and their cool options - that's just uncool, and will probably cause you to lose a lot more often.

2-3 Dreadnaughts in 1 battle(between 1000-2250 pts) is too much.?
    It isn't too much so much as it's a bad idea. Dreadnoughts are really not that long-lived - they're priority targets because of their S10 and heavy weapons, and they've only got Av12. Maybe if Dreadnoughts used wounds like Wraithlords I'd be more of a fan, but as it stands, they're too fragile for their cost. One 10pt meltagun will pop a 150+pt Dreadnought every time. If you want heavy weapons in a DH army, inducted IG really is the best solution. You could bring in just a single platoon with 3-5 squads, each with a heavy weapon, for something like 300pts. Or, you could bring in an Armored Fist or two. My own army has two IST Troops in Rhinos, and two Armored Fists in Chimeras - it works amazingly well for me, and I have absolutely no problems popping enemy vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2x20 stormstroopers are too much and a strong defense.?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

max squad size for ist is 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

2x20 stormstroopers are too much and a strong defense.?
    My comment about it being too much was in fact concerning your plan of taking three Dreadnoughts. It had nothing to do with your IST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

If dreadnaughts were wraithlords...

Somehow, I think that I would own one by now (or two, or three...)

As they are, I am of the opinion that they're barely worth it. If they could benifit from the Grey Knights' Shrouding ability, they'd be pretty nifty (arm them with lascannons and missile lanchers and have them sit safely out of spotting range of the enemy).

What about deepstriking them as a way to make up for their general lack of survivability? Put them in a drop-pod (which can be used to shield them from enemy heavy weapons for a turn) and then try to get them into melee until they can get clear shots at enemy vehicles? (since killing battle tanks are clearly their primary objective in the Dh list)

Has anyone tried drop podding them?

Personally, I think I'll probably stick with a good old-fashioned land raider for anti-tank power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any force including gk cant use drop pods as far as i can remember. so no drop pods for dreads.
    bean, i do agree with you but what other options do we have? the land raider is damn pricy and can frequently be poped just the same (everyone brings somthing that can drop one to the table) its a 1 turn paperweight against fast armies w/ anti armour like the DE (can anyone say darklance?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you didn't want to use Grey Knights as a troop choice, I would do the following:

HQ: -Grey Knight Hero with retinue, deepstrike
    Elites: -1-3 Death-Cult Assassins
    -Shooty Inquisitor (combi-bolter-melta) w/ gun-servitors w/ anti-tank weps (alternatively give him artificer and a holy relic and attach him to some infantry. If they get assaulted... +1 attack for a crapton.)
    -GKT Squad, deepstrike it
    Troops: -2x Stormtrooper squads
    -Inducted Imperial Guard Infantry platoon... 1 Command, 5 inf squads - this is a 339pt (with 1 Gren. launcher per Inf. sqd) 55-man meatshield that you can hardmarch across the map OR put in vehicles.
    -More stormtrooper squads
    Fast Attack: -Grey Knight fast attack thingy, deepstrike
    Heavy Support: -Land Raider Crusader with some upgrades and stuff.
    -Purgation squad, or dreadnought, or something long-ranged

The main bulk of your force is the Infantry platoon, which can be stuck in vehicles and transported to harass enemies, or hardmarched across the map. They are anti-infantry and basically a meatshield - something to occupy your enemy with until you can pop out your assassins and all your deepstrikers. The IG will be the anvil, while the rest of your army would be the hammer.

The army that I would like to have looks something like this, just maybe less vehicles, and I'm contemplating the infantry platoon. If you have the money to buy the vehicles and the infantry, go for it.

+ Reply to Thread