Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Sometimes its just good to get players talking about their armies in general. So, with that in mind, I just have a few questions that any and all SM players (and some non-SM players, if they choose) may respond to all in the hopes of getting some opinions flying around so we can analyze our armies more.
1. What role do you think best serves Space Marines? (eg. shooty/CC-oriented/balanced, lots of vehicles/lots of infantry, emphasis on special characters, etc.)
2. What race/army do you feel is the worst enemy for SM's to face? (eg. which army frequently defeats you or makes victory very difficult)
3. What do you feel are the top 3 best units for Space Marines? (can be a single character, squad, or vehicle)
4. What are your favourite tactics? (that is, if you WANT to give away your secrets )
5. Do you prefer to field a Codex established chapter (Ultramarines, BA, etc.) or a chapter of your own creation?
1/ Reactionary. What do I mean? DE emphasis speed, Tau emphasis shooting, space Marines emphasise versatility. Play towards your army. If my enemy is playing shootily get in CC and spoil their plan. If your enemy is hoping to catch you in CC, frustrate them and shoot them. Space marines (and vanilla CSM) are probably the only army that can do this. Other armies rely on specialists with particular skill in one area to defeat the opponent. Our normal marines are our specialists, they can outshoot enemy assault troops, and outfight enemy shooty troops.
2/ Shooty Eldar/ Imperial guard. Both these armies have lots of AP3 and AP2 weapons that marine players dislike. And basically the army lists for these players will probably be designed with killing power armour in mind.
3/ 1-Tactical Squads (The meat of our army)
2-Whirlwinds (cheap ordinance and the bane of Eldar)
3-Assault troops (lead by a chaplain there are very few troops that mind being assaulted by 10 jump pack marines)
5/ Well my army is painted up to be Dark Angel's successors (DA Green with Bleached Bone shoulder pads), but when 4th Ed came along I didnt like what they'd done to my army. And with the new codex I wanted traits and such. So basically my army has DA fluff, but basically plays with vanilla rules.
I play a standard vanilla army, The Onyx Mauraders. Havent worked out my fluff yet. I agree with Addoran, the marines ability to meet any situation is their greatest streangth.
2. Orks, I hate Choppas.
3. A) Tac squad Missle Launcher, best punch for the points.
Tornado, gotta love assault cannons
C) Dred's walking heavy weaps platforms with great HTH and Armor.
4. I practice what is called Combined arms tactics. I will field a tactical squad with only assualt weaps and bolters, paired with a Dread (walking heavy weaps), and a assualt squad less jump packs. All three units are pointed at the same objectives and support one another.
5. My own of course. The other codex chapters are too well known and counter methods are all most defacto once they know you play (fill in the blank) chapter.
breath, sight, squeeze.
now double tap just for grins
and Another One bite's the dust.
A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.
1- balanced: like said above marines will adapt to who they are faceing if they want to win.
2-Darkangels: lots of plasma cannons = marine death.
3- Tac squads: good, effective, meat of all Marine armies.
Terminator squad: look cool, effective, challenage to play correctlly.
Vindicator: what better to blow up the enemies of the emperor then with the biggest badest gun in the game?
4- I used to do the classic rhino rush. Now just go with more of a distractions and makeing the enemy divide fireing strategy.
5- Black Templars. They are good and arguably the best marine cc chapter. But i wished i played a vanilla marine force so i could futher customise my army. and be a more balenced force then depending on cc.
What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.
1 Already said
2 Eldar and Imperial guard. I would say 50% of all 40k armies played are marines. If you build one of these armies just to kill just marines you can have a good record without too much difficulty.
3 (Blood Angels bias)
A. Chaplin, the new chaplin abilities rock everyone should get one
B. Scout squads, if your a shooty guy/gal just keep em out of cc. If your cc oriented they can take ccw weapons and are cheap. Need bait for a trap only 91 pts a unit.
C. Assualt squads. Quick, mobile, and great in cc. And at only 22pts well worth it even in a shooty army.
4 Strategy is to the opponent with always attach Death Company at a strong point of the enemy, always getting in enough cc to wittle the enemy down before claiming objectives. Always play the mission to win!
5. I like how BA play, but honestly I admire player who make up thier own fluffy chapter with a really cool paint schime.
If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.
1. Fast attacks and close combat. Hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast. Marines are supposed to be shock troops. I mean you can make them shooty, but I really don't like that idea.
2. Friggin Mech Tau. They keep moving and shooting and moving and shooting. gah! >.<
3. Assault Squads, Dreds (furioso if you can get it across the field without getting blown up) Scouts (highly underated, I use tons of 'em and they own)
4. Same as #1. Hit' em hard, hit 'em fast. Hooah!
5. DIY chapters all the way.I refuse to play a chapter that's already been established (Ultramarines,Raven Guard, etc) unless it's some incredibly obscure sucessor nobody's ever heard of (Like the Black Consuls or something)
Edicuis is right i go for alot of close combat and fast attacks
1.Close combat if im facing a shooty army im dead but i am extreamly devastating in cc
2.Other space marines they know all the tactics already and just face it space marines rule.
3.Terminators(good shooting and power fist double strengh)
Assault Squad(12 inch movement and are armed with close combat weapons)
Tactical Squad(Well balanced and armed with bolters also comes with vet Sergant)
4.Charge and destroy
5.I like ulramarines just because of Marinius Calgar the latest WD has a picture of the new model in it OH it is awesome. Anyways i also like Ravenwing i think the one with Captain Shrike Impearial Fists are cool to.
Sry Edicius spelled your name wrong ^_^
Peace im out
1. I disagree with the "reactionary", but not what you're trying to say. You mean something that will disrupt your opponents battle plan, whereas "reactive" would be moving according to the enemy. NEVER Re-act, ALWAYS act. If you can force the enemy to fight on your terms, you win. Anyway, I believe Marines are best "balanced" we can be outfought, outmaneuvred, and outshot, but no one does all 3 as well as SM's.
2. Eldar. Not because of Wraithlords, but because of unpredictability. You really don't know what to expect from an Eldar player until they put the models on the table.
3. For my Wolves....
1. Landspeeders. Surprising you might say, but find them beyond worth for attacking enemy flanks while I come up and smash them.
2. Scouts. Behind Enemy Lines=Dead Tank/Sniper/Heavy Weapons Squad.
3. Grey Hunters. Troops win you the game.
4. I like to harry the opponent with fire from Longfangs, Tanks, and Dreads while my Rhinos approach up the middle. My Landspeeders harry the enemy flanks and distract them while my BC's and GH's Get into CC. Ideally, my Scouts and Troops are able to Assault in the same turn, while my Heavy Weapons/Tanks attract inordinate amounts of fire that should be put on the Rhinos. A few Packs of Grey Hunters advance on foot to hold ground and fallback positions.
Don't bother having anything more than meaningless small talk on this forum, the moderators won't allow it
1) fast and furiuos and very co ordinated, my friends know me by memory of that!
2) hmm definately chaos though ive never played them ive watched them and they all sorts of special rules and scary things which need to be shot down (come on look at world eaters!
3)a)chaplain! it is now better thanever and rocks in an assault squad or termie squad
b)Lightning claw terminators, especially with chaplain
c) tactical squads with all the customizing they can do they can be tailord to any situation
4) distract, attack and teleport in reinforcements. thats my moto!
5) my own creation of the blazing eagles though i need help on the colour schemes