3 Whirlwinds? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Whirlwinds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently aquired 2 extra whirlwinds, bringing my grand total up to 3. I played one game with them with 1x vengeance and 2x castellan, and I was pretty impressed. by turn 6 there were 11 mine fields on the table, and my imperial guard opponent was having to make serious decisions about who or what to move through it.

I'm just wondering if it might be more effective to run 3 vengeance, or 3 castellan. anyone have any experience with these loadouts?

iron Hands
    Haemonculus Coven Dark Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than the fact that i think whirlies are 0-1, i would use vengance against imps, since they usually sit back and shoot. castellan might be ok against armored ig tho.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>FROM THE BOOK OF THE IMPERIUM:

1. Thou shalt not go on a panty raid in the Adaptus Soritus temple.
    2. Thou shalt not flirt with Howling Banshees. They are the enemy.
    3. Thou shalt not refer to Battle Sisters as &quot;Bolter Biatches&quot;
    4. Darth Vader isn’t the son of Abaddon
    5. Thou shalt not reassemble a Necron into a washing machine

Saruman_II
    </div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there not 0-1. Against IG I would just use the vengeance missile since guard can be pretty content to sit and shoot and the missile has enough strength and ap to do some real damage (not to mention pinning checks).
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow 3 whirlies

Against the Imps try 3 standard blasts. That will decimate his infantry amazingly quickly.

However laying down 3 minefields a turn :o amazingly funny. Put them all in front of your troops and laugh as the opponent doesn&#39;t want to assault you.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was to take 3 whirlwinds, I&#39;d never load them all out the same way. Depending on the foe I&#39;d use a mix lot. But then there is very little chance I&#39;d take three in the first place. I just like my dev&#39;s too much. However I have seriously contiplated 2 whirlwinds and would take 1 each of the diffrent loads.
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who thinks castellan missiles suck? If it was much, much stronger it&#39;d be alright. but it barely hinders the enemy movement at all. If they really don&#39;t want half of their squad to take strength 6 no AP hits, you can control their moves. So, your options are: lay some mines and let the enemy decide when to get hit, or just rain some stronger missiles onto the squad from the start. The only thing they&#39;re good for is hitting the back armor of vehicles (still only a 1/4 chance to glance usually) and if the missile miss they stay on the board instead of being wasted,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, im thinkin im gonna run them as 3 vengeance next time, see how that works out.
    iron Hands
    Haemonculus Coven Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, yee of little tactical skill. Castellan missiles are one of GW&#39;s best inventions. Three whirlwinds is cheap as hell so you will still have many points let over for both anti-infintry and anti-armor.

Some might say that mine bombs are useless against shooting armies. That is a very short sighted thing to say. Infact I would dare to say that they are even more dangerous to shooting armies than assault based ones. This is ridiculous one might say but it is actually true. Think about it, when facing a mobile assault army like nids or blood angels with jump packs it is almost imposible to predict their movements. They could go over, around, hell even underneath- some necron unit comes mind. But with an army designed around fire power it is safe to assume that they will die not far from where they were deployed. (heavy weapon dont like movement, and neither do the players who paid the points for them). This makes their movements infinately easier to predict their movements or lack of. Now you say why would they move. They are perfectly safe if they stand still. NOT TRUE. The only way for a shooty army to kill another army is to shoot it, duh. But it cant very well shoot it if it is out of range or behind cover. And there is the good part, no matter how much they hate it and guard or tau player WILL move their men and heavy weapons if they have no targets. BUT, if they are surrounded by mines twice there bloody toughness their gonna think twice before lining up there next shot. You can then make your planned out assault without fear of enemy fire. Using Castellan missiles you can controll not only your army but your oppent&#39;s as well. I can&#39;t wait to read all of the objections to my strategy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else feel that taking 3 identical Heavy Support units is a little, um, unsportsmanlike (notice the effort to not say the word cheesey, as so many players don&#39;t "believe" in cheese and jump over anyone who does)?

I just mean, taking 3 units all the same, especially when it is arguably the best heavy support option for that race, seems like one is trying to maximise their army list&#39;s effectiveness at the risk of becoming dull. All I have to say is that if an Eldar player took 3 wraithlords cause he thought they worked the best, most opponents would be screaming bloody murder at the means by which that player is trying to brutalize the enemy.

Mixing it up between Castellan and Vengeance loadouts is a start, but I&#39;d really recommend you only take at most 2 Whirlwinds in friendly games (tournaments are another story...though unsportsmanlike lists might hurt you there too). Heavy Support, Fast attack, or any other slots maxed out with the same (and best) units is always boring, like when you see a Devastator squad and all 4 heavy weapons are identical to maximise their effectiveness. Yawn.

If you were going to keep taking 3 whirlwinds, I would just suggest your opponent do the same and take 3 Basilisks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Houston@Feb 14 2005, 16:59
    Anyone else feel that taking 3 identical Heavy Support units is a little, um, unsportsmanlike (notice the effort to not say the word cheesey, as so many players don&#39;t "believe" in cheese and jump over anyone who does)?

[snapback]329647[/snapback]

Ever feel taking 3 heavy support choices is alittle unsportsmanlike? But yeah, I wouldn&#39;t want to play against 3 exercists.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast