Daemonhunters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daemonhunters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is NOT one of those want to play DH what should I get topics. I want the advice of current DH players, as I am considering starting a DH army myself. I do not yet have the codex but I should by this weekend. So my question is would this army be a good change for me?

I currently play IG and Necrons which are based on shooting and tons of troops. I have been looking at DH's because they seem to be quite the opposite. Often outnumbered and CC focused. I love the fluff behind them and love the look of the models.

Also since I play IG, I would always have the option to induct them if I need some more fire power.

So anyway does anyone feel that this is a bad choice for my next army?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

At the very least, I hear that Demonhunters (Grey Knights in particular) make excellent allies for an Imperial Guard force. Buffering your firing lines with a squad or two of Grey Knights, or teleporting a Fast Attack squad behind your enemy to push them forward seems like it could be quite effective.

I would suggest, if you're interested in them, picking up some Grey Knights and playing them as IG allies for a while--if you like the feel, then you'll have a good start to a full DH army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u want a REAL change... u just have to take the eldar way
    Hello all.

I'm a french canadian :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CaptainClegg@Feb 18 2005, 140
    This is NOT one of those want to play DH what should I get topics. I want the advice of current DH players, as I am considering starting a DH army myself. I do not yet have the codex but I should by this weekend. So my question is would this army be a good change for me?

I currently play IG and Necrons which are based on shooting and tons of troops. I have been looking at DH's because they seem to be quite the opposite. Often outnumbered and CC focused. I love the fluff behind them and love the look of the models.

Also since I play IG, I would always have the option to induct them if I need some more fire power.

So anyway does anyone feel that this is a bad choice for my next army?

Thanks in Advance!
    [snapback]333347[/snapback]
    Well, it takes great patience to partake in DH. You truly have to love the hobby and conversions, and you must have a fancy for fluff, because DH revolves around that. Seems like you do.

The codex is a great read, but there are many updates, just search around forums and faqs. It will take you a while to work out all the bugs in the rules, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Although I do not fancy IG, as said before they turn out to be a superb ally to a DH army, or vice versa. I'd reccommend getting some DH allies, or repainting some stormtroopers to start you out on a pure DH force.

If you're interested in lots of Grey Knights, all I can say from experience is that:
    there is no army cooler than a Grey Knight army, but they are a handfull to play with.

I know IG players who don't feel safe in a game if they don't have 300000 models, and when you're switching from IG to DH...it's a dramatic step. All I'm saying is, you seem to like shooty swarm firepower armies, and DH are basically the opposite.

I'm just listing things I found out or thought of when I chose DH as my army...And I never regretted it! People will respect you for collecting a more difficult army, and IMHO there is not an army cooler fluffwise or modelwise.

So: GREAT CHOICE FOR NEXT ARMY. But I'd just dip your toe in first, swirl it around, see if it feels good. It should, because the waters great. Jump on in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Papa SMurf@Feb 18 2005, 237

I know IG players who don't feel safe in a game if they don't have 300000 models, and when you're switching from IG to DH...it's a dramatic step. All I'm saying is, you seem to like shooty swarm firepower armies, and DH are basically the opposite.
    [snapback]333653[/snapback]
    That is what appealed to me about the DH. I don't prefer shooty or swarm armies more than CC ones. I got into my first two armies based on the fluff. IG because I love history and this army closely relates to our real life style. Necrons because of evil yet tranquil feel about them. So I pick my armies more on their background than fighting style. The DH should be a blast because of the whole crusade feel about them. The bonus for me is the total change in playing style!! So I must say that I am excited to begin a DH army and want to thank everyone for there feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been playing daemonhunters for about four or five months now. They are by far the most fun army that I have yet played. Nothing beats watching your grandmaster and his retinue slaughter eight tyrannid warriors and two hive tyrants. (nemi force weapons are awesome).

If you are going daemonhunters I do not recommend fielding a pure grey knights force. Although it would look great on the table it offers a very rigid method of gameplay. You have no decent heavy support and the only good fire power you have is stormblolters and psycannons which are useless for bringing down anything with an armour save of 3+ or better. I hate to admit it but the only way to win games with Daemonhunters is to play cheesy. her is my list (around 1750 maybe a little more):

7term gm(retinue)
    7term bc

7 gk's 1 jus (three of these squads)fast attack

two squads of five stormtroops

inquisitor(non lord) in term armour with my command squad

eversor assassin or callidus depending on who I am playing

lance strike

I field this army as a highly mobile strike force. It freaks out a lot of shooty armies. Armies such as Tau and imp gaurd are usually slaughtered when i play this list. It also works on other armies too, though. Usually the idea is that if I get first turn the eversor goes and ransacks something( hopefully an expensive heavy support like devastators). Then the orbital strike comes down, it usually does nothing but it puts the enemy on the move which gives me an advantage. Then if Im lucky i'll have about 30gks and about 15 gk terms knocking on their door. The bloodbath will then ensue.

Funny story: I was playing my friend who is ultramarines (boo). My eveersor got charge first turn, got eleven attacks. He killed two full tactical squads a dreadnought and half a term squad before being powerfisted. That was probably the best my assassin has ever done. IT was hilarious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by radagast@Feb 19 2005, 17:17
    If you are going daemonhunters I do not recommend fielding a pure grey knights force. Although it would look great on the table it offers a very rigid method of gameplay. You have no decent heavy support and the only good fire power you have is stormblolters and psycannons which are useless for bringing down anything with an armour save of 3+ or better. I hate to admit it but the only way to win games with Daemonhunters is to play cheesy.
    [snapback]334069[/snapback]
    I don't think I will play pure GK's I want to include some IST because I love the Karskin models. However I am very excited to begin a DH army. I just wish I had some cash its a little tight right now. Also I think that there are a few things I want to add to my Necrons before I get into my DH army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck collecting. ALthough they are a very expensive army, demonhunters offer a truly unique and fun style of gameplay and in my opinion are worth the extra money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CaptainClegg@Feb 19 2005, 17:16
    I don't think I will play pure GK's I want to include some IST because I love the Karskin models. However I am very excited to begin a DH army. I just wish I had some cash its a little tight right now. Also I think that there are a few things I want to add to my Necrons before I get into my DH army.
    [snapback]334121[/snapback]
    Tell me about it. I have school to worry about, girls, computers, normal life...i only have 60 bucks saved up so far!

That's not alot people.

A Pure GK force is fun to play, difficult, but fun, and it will be a little bit like playing Dark Eldar: if you know how to play GK, you'll do really well, but if you make a mistake you're cooked. You might not be down to as few models at the end of the game like DE, but it might take you a while to ease into it.

Meh, but the Karskins are cool, I admit, you army just looses a little bit of it's unity, eg you're fielding huge Terminators with Force Weapons the size of a stormtrooper. Then put a rhino kitted out with inquistion materiel next to a GKLR.

Not the same unity as say, playing with Ultramarines, where everything is on the Blue/Yellow/Red color scheme (the GOOD color scheme, not the gold one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I have found playung puritan DH with GK only is that in the first turn or two you are going to take some hits and hope your armor protects you. This is as you walk up to the enemy. Though you can still shoot better than a normal SM.

BUT once you reach the enemy 6" charge assault range this is where the battle turns.

Using IST to fill up the troop slots makes the GK more flexable and their inquisitors have some useful psychic abilities that help. Unfortunately mostly vs Daemons :wacko:

Nothing wrong with allies as you can get some interesting suport. I just wish I played IG before and had some nice LR's soemtimes.

Axit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast