White Scars Are They Worth The Points (and Cash!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been testing out the W.S. using proxies and they seem to whoop a lot of A** but I'm playing against other brand newbies so it could be just a lack of experience on their part. I was just wondering what the general consensus was.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are marines then they are good . Honestly I havent seen anyone play WS but I wouldn't think they would be that much different than any other chapter as far as worth or gameplay. DA, BT, BA, FT, and the rest all have their 'special abilities' but if WS has your attention go for it (at the moment I can't recall what is special about the WS or what their 'special rules' are).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are the rules for the white scars in a white dwarf issue? if so, which issue #?
    Warhammer is expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SolidBrimstone@Oct 6 2003, 20:11
    If they are marines then they are good . Honestly I havent seen anyone play WS but I wouldn't think they would be that much different than any other chapter as far as worth or gameplay. DA, BT, BA, FT, and the rest all have their 'special abilities' but if WS has your attention go for it (at the moment I can't recall what is special about the WS or what their 'special rules' are).
    The special rules for them are that they are all in bikes or in rhinos, basically a fast army.

Mad Props to Angel_of_Rust for the sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Army list is in Codex Astartes.......

As for special rules they have several, my favorite being that your entire army can be mounted on bikes. Of course the most models I've been able to field this way is 27 in an 1850 point game. Other rules are.... (add the usual B.S. about not wanting to step on G.W.'s toes here.)

Born in the Saddle:
    White Scars are the best natural bikers in the Imperium. They can control their bikes over the most difficult ground and maintain control with their legs while handling weapons.

White Scars may re-roll any failed difficult terrain test but must accept the new result. They may also use an addition close combat weaponwhile riding a bike for +1A where this equipment is available to them. Normally, this is not possible as one hand must be used to control the bike.

This ability is possesed by bike mounted Command and Veteran squads, Bike squadrons, Attack Bike squadrons, Scout Bike squadrons, and Independent characters equipped with Space Marine bikes.

Bike Squadrons:

White Scars Bike squadrons may be up to 10 models strong. All squadron members not armed with a plasma gun, meltagun, or flamer may be armed an additional close combat weapon at +1 point.They may use these in conjunction with their bolt pistols for +1 attack.

Mounted Veterans:

White Scars Veteran squads may be mounted on Bikes for an additional +20 Points per model. Their basic weaponry will be bolt pistol and additional close combat weapon. No heavy weapons can be carried, but all other weapon upgrades remain available.If one model in the is mounted, then the rest of the squad must be, as well.

Counter attack:

Whites Scars mounted on Bikes can react quickly to any attack. To represent this unengaged White Scars mounted on Bikes (But not Attack Bikes) which are part of a unit that has been assaulted may move up to 6" to get into base contact.

Flankers:

The White Scars often deploy Scout Bike Squadrons in wide, flanking positions to exploit hasty or illadvised enemy moves. It is widely reckoned that every mistake made agasinst the White Scars is paid for in blood. Any Bike-mounted White Scars
    Scout squad may begin the game in reserve regardless of whether reserves can be used in the mission being played. When they enter table they may arrive fron any board edge not available to enemy reserves.

Hit and Run:

White Scars mounted on Bikes (but not squads including Attack Bikes) May choose to leave close combat. Declaer this at the end of of the Assault phase after all morale checks have been taken. The Bikes fall back 3D6" in any direction and then regroup at the end of the move. Enemy models may only consolidate. Note that units which have been forced to fall backbecause they failed a Morale test may not make a second fall back move in the same turn.

These are NOT all their rules..... just enough to give a feel of the flavor of the WS army...... if you want all the rules you'll have to get the Codex Astartes.... (or download them off kazaa like i did )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to do it make sure you balance bikes and troops in rhinos. Get to the enemy fast and pound them into the ground. Sounds like a very tactical army and better eqiuped than say a Ravenwing army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I've found that when you put troops on foot in this army they're too slow to keep up and lend good support to the rest........ An entire army on bikes! That's my goal, I was just hoping for some pointers on who might be a problem, and some strat's on how to deal with the REALLY low amount of models on the Board.(My current incarnation only fields 27 models at 1850 points)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've written up quite a few White Scars lists at this point, and find that using Marine Scouts (not mounted-- Scouts are the only infantry White Scars can buy without some kind of Transport) as frontline defensive assault units saves me the points I need to get an effective amount of Bikes on the battlefield. Tactical marines I buy in five or six man units, set them up with a Hvy. Weapon.

With the Tac squad's Razorback I get an extra twin-linked weapon (since any Power Armored Tac Marines will have to come with some kind of transport in a Scars force-- might as well grab the one that will lend some much needed fire support.) The Scouts block enemy Line of Fire with an early melee (hopefully starting from an infiltration point) with the Tactical/Razor base of fire then lovetapping on any units that try to break through the HTH combat from either the rear or firing back in from a flanking position. The Bikes, with their massive mobility, then also plug the gaps, hitting and running as they need to. Another great use for Rhinos or Razors with the Scars: the classic 'mobile cover' wall. Nowhere is there more of an opportunity to get creative with your Transports as there is with the Scars. 'Cause them boys move Fast. As fast as your tactics of maneuver can take 'em.

On their own, sure, the Scouts can collapse-- and at best most of them will be dead. But support them well-- use them to draw the enemy in-- and they will have done their job-- to get your opponent stuck in Melee-- giving your bikes the precious space they'll need to define the battle.

It's important when using this strategy to support them with the devastating charges that the Scars Bike Squads can dish out... over and over and over again. You'll lose 13pt. Scouts as wounds, not 35pt. Bikes-- and your opponent should have lost the initiative as a result of the wreck you've made of his plan.

Another option is to completely sacrifice your Scouts. Have them jump into a fight they couldn't possibly win-- but that buys you time. In this option they're only meant to hold a deathgrip on another key unit until your bikes take care of something else- perhaps a piece of Heavy Support or to reach a certain area of superior cover.

The Scars are awesome. All other Marine armies you could previously break down as 'balanced' 'shooty' or 'assaulty'-- No other force was designed to take such full advantage of the movement phase. Yet this is where victory or defeat is made when playing the Scars.

Then again... no plan survives contact with the enemy... no matter how long it takes us to type 'em.

War of Maneuver:

Run and Gun or Die.

-Legio Antares

Closed Thread