Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Malleus Means!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Kahoolin 
#1 ·
I was wondering if Malleus was an actual word, as Heretic and Xenos are, so I looked it up:

There may be other meanings, but:

SYLLABICATION: mal·le·us
PRONUNCIATION: ml-s
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. mal·le·i ( ml-)
The hammer-shaped bone that is the outermost of the three small bones in the mammalian middle ear. Also called hammer.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin, hammer.

So that's why they like hammers so much!

#4 ·
Originally posted by Edicius@Mar 2 2005, 00:17
Eh...doesn't it say somehwre in the Daemonhunter's codex that Ordo Malleus means Order of the Hammer?
[snapback]341774[/snapback]​

Lol, I forgot that! But I still needed to know whether it was Latin or English, as Codices only tell us what it means in Imperial Gothic!

P.S. Latin for daemon is daemon. I guess they chose Malleus because Ordo Daemon doesn't sound that great!

#5 ·
Yeah malleus means hammer, as in "mallet". There was a famous book written in the middle ages in England called the malleus maleficarum, usually translated as Hammer of the Witches. It is latin.

It was written by the "witchfinder general" Matthew Hopkins, and was a handbook on how to indentify a witch or a person trafficking with demons.

The GW boys being well-read english lads are no doubt aware of this book. I think there is a copy of it in the British Museum or something.

I assume that's why they gave this name to a branch of the inquisition.

PS I thought Daemon was (ancient) Greek for "spirit"?

btw I am not a freak my dad is a professor of classical languages :D so I was brought up with this stuff

#7 ·
mallus direstly is not a latin word because the -us is indicitive of the monative and the word is only ever used in the ablitive and the accusitive in pormal prose and means efflixting a deamon, i supose that could mean hitting the deamon with a hammer but the subtext says that mallum means many things in latin among them deamon, bad thing, changed thing and made by man! the word mallus is not a real word though, just a basterdized version of the word.

yes, latin 4 ap it is my 6th year of learning the language

also semper ubi, sub ubi

ps. xeno is a prefix in english, not a word, it cannot be used in prose without a form to add it to.

KNOW IT ALLL, BE ALL

#8 ·
Originally posted by BooNDoCK[ID
,Mar 2 2005, 10:38]mallus direstly is not a latin word because the -us is indicitive of the monative and the word is only ever used in the ablitive and the accusitive in pormal prose and means efflixting a deamon, i supose that could mean hitting the deamon with a hammer but the  subtext says that mallum means many things in latin among them deamon, bad thing, changed thing and made by man! the word mallus is not a real word though, just a basterdized version of the word.

yes, latin 4 ap it is my 6th year of learning the language

also semper ubi, sub ubi

ps. xeno is a prefix in english, not a word, it cannot be used in prose without a form to add it to.

KNOW IT ALLL, BE ALL

[snapback]341849[/snapback]​
Isn't there a difference between classical latin and medieaval church latin (which is the language the Malleus Maleficarum would be in)?

I think Hopkins was probably writing in a bastardized form.

Anyway the book was written before the prescriptivist approach to linguistics was adopted in england, so there was no such thing as "correct" usage of spelling or grammar in language at that time; If you could understand it then it was "legal". These two points should explain why the title of the book is not "correct" latin.

Xeno is another classical greek word, meaning "foreign" or "strange." You can add it to any word in english to create a compound if you like, that is one of the characteristics of the grammatical structure of english. But you are right it is traditionally a prefix not an entire word.

Hey BooNDoCK[ID­], does Ordo Hereticus mean "The Order of Heretics?" :D

EDIT: I just realized, heretic sounds much more like a greek word than a latin. If so, GW is mixing their ancient languages, those crazy kids!

#9 ·
No...GW is making their own language. IT'S CALLED HIGH GOTHIC. IT IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE IMPERIUM. IT IS NOT GREEK. IT IS NOT LATIN.

That said, the reason the OM is not called Ordo Daemonicus or something like that, is because they are a SECRET (echoes: seecret! secret! seeecreeet!) organization. Their stated purpose is to keep tabs on the rest of the Inquisition. Their daemonhunting purpose is actually very covert.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Squirrel@Mar 3 2005, 13:18
No...GW is making their own language. IT'S CALLED HIGH GOTHIC. IT IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE IMPERIUM. IT IS NOT GREEK. IT IS NOT LATIN.
[snapback]342795[/snapback]​
Geez no need to yell. We were having a very polite discussion.

Plus, don't you think I know that? Of course it's not greek or latin, except for the fact that IT IS!

They are using classical languages because they sound churchy and old, and if High Gothic is so different from the original languages then why the hell do they use appropriate words from those languages to mean the same thing, eg xeno means alien in both high gothic and classical greek. My my, what an astounding coincidence.

For f**k's sake I was making a (admittedly weak) joke about the inconsistency of their inspirations.

I am a pretty laid back guy and try not to get annoyed by things random fools say to me on the internet, but I guess I am vain because I can't tolerate it when someone thinks I am an idiot and speaks to me as such.

Do you think anyone well-educated enough to note that High Gothic is based on Greek and Latin would make the mistake of thinking that it WAS Greek or latin?

AARGH!! :realmad:

#11 ·
Seems I touched a nerve. If I did, my sincere apologies.

However, I do get highly irritated when pedantic morons run around yelling that High Gothic is Greek or Latin like that (clearly false) observation immediately awards them an IQ of 240. My opinion of the forumgoers here has dramatically dropped since a while before I took leave last summer, and I jumped to conclusions.

In summation: my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.