Librarium Online Forums banner

The Sentinal

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MobiusPrime 
#1 ·
Ok basically all that I want to know is how to use these things, what they are strong against, and what their stats and basic weapons are. any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Originally posted by 123456789@Mar 3 2005, 18:56
Ok basically all that I want to know is how to use these things, what they are strong against, and what their stats and basic weapons are. any help is appreciated.
[snapback]343521[/snapback]​
About the "stats and basic weapons" whole deal: Go buy the codex.

It's illegal to post stats on here, ever heard of copyright?

Just clearing that up, as for strategies there are many, many ways to use them...I think the Deep Striking w/ Lascannon or something is pretty popular, though since I don't really play 'em I wouldn't know much.

#3 ·
I only have three Sentinels for my Drop Troops. 1 Cadian Pattern with Camo Netting, Searchlight, HK missile, Armored Crew Compartment, and Improved Comms. I have 2 other Armageddon Pattern with Camo netting, Searchlight, Armored Crew Compartment and Extra Armor.

The Armageddon Pattern sentinels are my mobile anti-transport/anti-tank units. The Cadian Pattern sentinel is my baby. He sits back and supports the command squad with his Improved Comms. The HK missile gives him a one time shot at an unlimited range. The Autocannon isn't that tough, but it can be a real killer on soft transports. Plus the thing does awesome in close combat getting tough units tied up for a round while the command squad gets ready to charge and liberate him.

My Drop Troopers could really use some more Sentinels, but they are prohibitively expensive. Not only $ wise, but points wise. My Cadian Pattern Sentinel is running I think 97 points as is. The Armageddon patterns are a little cheaper, but not by much.

I think they are a wise investment for any army which relies on man power instead of cold rolling steel.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Maj Stryker@Mar 3 2005, 21:23
My Drop Troopers could really use some more Sentinels, but they are prohibitively expensive. Not only $ wise, but points wise. My Cadian Pattern Sentinel is running I think 97 points as is. The Armageddon patterns are a little cheaper, but not by much.
[snapback]343659[/snapback]​

Thats because you are putting too many upgrades on them. I would cut the fat on them, personally I would drop the camo netting and the searchlights unless you play a lot of night/hidden setup missions

#6 ·
I do not put much on them. Because sentinels are easy to destroy.If I run anything on them it is usually a doctrine(hardened fighter) It will give you an extra attack dice in cc and plus 1 in ws. The weapon of choice is usually multilaser
3 shots or autocannon if I am trying to go after light armor vehicles anything under AV12.
Bonekrusher

#7 ·
I have 4 sentianls armed as follows:

HQ: Autocannon, improved comms

Fast attack:
3 x Las cannon and HK missile

The HQ one hangs at the rear, it is there to make sure my deep strikers arrive on-time and on-target, whilst it may snipe at things it stays out of the way unless really necessary until the bulk of deep strike is completed. The other 3 are explictly there to destroy any armour the enemy has, if they survive past turn 3 I am surprised, but they are more than capable of paying for themselves points wise.

With the advent of Elysians, I am considering dropping the whole army, in which case I may go for heavy flamer variants

#9 ·
I run a mechanised army, so my views on sentinals are somwhat coloured byt his fact.
i think that the only weapon worth putting on a sentinal is the lascannon, becuase my many chimers and leman russ already carry loads of anti infantry weapons.
people say lascannon sent get destroyed so quickly, but mine doesnt. The enemy has so many tanks to shoot at the sentinal tends ot get ignored.
in the last battle i played it knocked out a landraider, the game before that it knocked out a defiler in the first shot of the game.
lascannon sents are lethal, and a bargain at 75pts
i have one sent so far, but i plan t ohave a full squad of 3 with las cannons.
tip, use the lascannon from the heavy weapons sprue, its bigger and looks meaner.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Will J@Mar 5 2005, 14:35
Good against infantry and light transports, bargain.

BTW, do sentinels have to be within a certain distance of each other when grouped as a squadron, or can they act as independant vehicles?
[snapback]344926[/snapback]​
Page 73 of the 4th Edition Rulebook under Vehicles in a Unit (Squadron):

All the vehicles have to maintain coherency, just like ordinary troops, but vehicle squadrons need only to remain within 4" of each other to remain in coherency rather than within 2".

#13 ·
Originally posted by Lost Nemesis@Mar 4 2005, 02:58
About the "stats and basic weapons" whole deal: Go buy the codex.

It's illegal to post stats on here, ever heard of copyright?
[snapback]343528[/snapback]​
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/reference/

According to the staff in the LO channel on IRC, we can post everything found in the reference sheet. Just not the point costs.

Man, all these sentinel topics we have recently are making me want a squad of them. :)

#14 ·
Sentinels are great! I run three in my army, two with Lascannons, and one with a Heavy Flamer and Hunter Killer missile. All have armored crew compartments. I just love it when my Sentinel Ace (the flamer one) charges a squad of str 3 something like Sisters, or Gaunts, or Eldar/Dark Eldar warriors.

Originally posted by 123456789@Mar 4 2005, 18:39
How is the multi-lazer?
[snapback]344277[/snapback]​
I'd go with the Autocannon if you are trying to take out infantry and light vehicles. The multilaser has 36", which, while still good, will put your fragile Sentinel within range of heavy bolters and such. The Autocannon gives you good firepower while keeping your Sentinel away from the low range stuff that can take it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.