Spacemarine Droppodarmies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

now that (hopefully) alot of us have had the chance to face SM DropPods and get a feel at how they work. i think it would be a good idea to revisit this topic.

How are IG going to far against a DropPod heavy Marine list?

a good DropPod SM army can be devestating to a IG army if used correctly

this is due to a few things.

1. we don't have the chance to shoot them up that much the first turn! infact many DPA have little to no units on the board on turn 1.

2. when they do arrive, they're usually very close

3. against shooty lists, many DPA deploy their units behind their DropPods as to not get shot up too much.

4. their DropPod can make a "wall" and divide our forces

5. if we go for the objective we're taken out in sections.

6. if we castle, we don't get objectives.

7. many DPA take Cleanse and Purify (2 special weapons in a squad).

8. if they give us 1st turn, then we basically only get 4 turns to kill them!

remember, if you play against a DPA and win the dice roll to see who goes first... GO SECOND!!!

if you go first you are shooting yourself in the foot. there will be nothing to shoot at for 2 turns! so almost always go 2nd!

so what has been your experience w/ DPA. personally i think they're a challenging army but i see no need to change them or limit their use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Hmmm, drop pods eh?

Here's my advice.

Protecting tanks: place them in area terrain (bassie), or use a couple of squads of guardsmen to make sure he cannot land within 6 (melta BOOM&#33 of a tank. place the tanks close or with their rear armour touching the edge of the board to prevent bolter shots from penetrating.

prevention of divide and conquer: Deploy together so you can swamp the enemy. Admittedly this may make you a happy target for a whirlwind, but hey, you can afford to go under one or two turns of fire before you blow it apart with the bassie.
    Either that or split deployment, which should actually work fairly well. He lands shoots a bit then the victory flank blows the crap out of the nearest units.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On rule number 3
    This happen to me last weekend. He drop pod and came out of the back so most of my force could not shoot it. So I just move away from it. He will have to come out sometime and when he does I will get some good shoots off him. In my case he drop 9 inches. If it happened to being drop let say 6 inches then I would leave 1 unit to die and move the rest so he could not consoidate into them. So I could shoot him after he destroyed one of my units.
    Bonekrusher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I play chaos, and use a mostly deep strike Iron warriors army with 6 obliterators and a HUGE block of chosen terminators (under chaos rules you can take 1 slot and break them into squads, all taking up same slot). Basically its a massive deep strike that throws almost any army into a frenzy.

The best defense game from a guard player, he has turn one, and realized what i was going to do. He turtled up, 2 batches. the first was in a corner of his deployment zone using the guardsman to block up the Leman Russ's, the second was just outiside, using a piece of terrain in between him and me.

I ended up using battle cannons to make some holes and kill a ton of guardsman, but when the deep strike happened on turn 3 (i opted not to roll for reserve), they came and took out a chunk of his army, but then in his turn all the las fire dropped most of them.

i ended up winning because of Obliterators and flame templates, but it was a close one! I never made it to the Russ's...
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Just remember:

Drop Pods can't die. Not like normal Deep Striking. If they are going to hit area terrain/enemy unit, etc., they only scatter until they reach that unit - they don't hit it, therefore nothing dies.

Also, Dreadnoughts, Termies, and anything without a Heavy Weapon can fire on the turn they arrive. This can be devastating with those Assault Cannons, Bolters, Storm Bolters, Plasma, Flamers, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take Daemonhunter Inquisitor Lord with two mystics, this way whenever your enemy drop pods his army next to you you get to shoot at either the drop pod, or it's occupant(s) with any of your units in range of the Inquisitor's power. For every unit that drop pods, or deep strikes, you get free pot shots. BAM! :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A drop pod army will have less units, units which you are not sure of whether they will be there WHEN you want them and exactly WHERE you want them.

I've played a few games against Drop pods. One was a draw and I won the other one. It was with escalation. His pods landed, behind my lines, but after he landed the first pods, my first Armour came in, from my deployment zone. Leaving the Space Wolves trapped between the hammer and the anvil. All within rapid fire range.

So, I believe we do stand a very good chance against DPA's. It just takes some unorthodox ways of using your units. The best armies are Guard armies that can take some damage. Each Drop pod squad can only fire at one target, our deployed army can shoot its entire firepower at the squads that have landed.

+ Reply to Thread