Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I Realize that strategy articles have been done before but i would like to add my take on the subject.
I have finished writing a series of articles for a local gaming website and was told by some friends that i should post it here if allowed.
Ihave recieved good response to it from all who have read it. Please let me know what you think of it. Also let me know if you want to see the remaining articles posted here.
This is the start of an analytical look and opinionated look at the army available to the Imperial Guard player. The selections are rated on what I have found to work, as well as what others have found to work for there guard armies. All troops will eventually be reviewed but due to space I will start with the base HQ available. Future updates will include elites, troops, fast attack, heavy support, deployment and tactics versus other armys and missions.
For know here is the HQ
The IG command squad is the anchor and backbone of the army. The ability to take high leadership and pass it to all around you is priceless. No army can function if you troops get scared and run away. Do not scrimp on your leadership.
My choices from worst to best are as follows.
4. Junior officer- Good backbone but no brains. His leadership of 8 unfortunately means you fail too many leadership tests once the negatives start to kick in. His other major downside is his single wound. You want him to stick around and a single wound simply isnâ€™t enough. Also he is supposed to be superior to the troops and he is only BS3 and I3. His biggest positive though is his price. Not to shabby but still not to grand.
3. Senior Officer- Finally someone who is better than a basic G-man. WS and BS of 4 means he wants to get into the action. He might some good. His leadership of 8 is his drawback. Once again when the negatives add up to many troops will run. 2 wounds do mean that he will stick around a little longer.
2. Heroic Senior Officer-(People may have noticed that this list started @ 4 not like the three choices available.)The HSO is still the best single G-man out there. WS4& BS4 means he can shoot and fight better than his army. I4 and 3 wounds means heâ€™s here for the long haul. Ld 9 is the single best leadership in the army and he can pass it to all within 12â€? (I realize that the guard can have Ld 10 but thatâ€™s for the next article so be patient.)
1. my personal favorite-Get the cheese ready. Junior officer with honorific imperialis. Works out to 5 pts cheaper than an HSO and could be the points really needed for your army.
*note* I am a huge fan of keeping guard cheap and tidy. Remember we are not marines, we donâ€™t excel at HtH so naturally we should avoid it. But that doesnâ€™t mean we donâ€™t get into it so a little prep is needed. *note*
Laspistol/ccw versus lasguns. I prefer LP/CCW over the lasgun in the Hq. This way should they get charged I have the extra attacks to fend off the enemy. Also its free extra attacks. The loss of the 12â€?rapidfiring is an all right offset. For the most part your hq will be in cover not out in the open.
*REMEMBER IF YOU CAN SEE/SHOOT THEM THEY CAN SEE/SHOOT YOU*
Heavy weapon lineup
6. Lascannon- too expensive best saved for other parts of your army.
5. Mortar-good in LOS is not needed to use the weapon bad because the mortar doesnâ€™t kill as much as you think it would.
4. Autocannon- Too specific of a roll for the command squad better elsewhere.
3. Missile launcher- multipurpose good for both anti-tank and anti-troop. Ties up 2 guys for a one shot gun.
2. Heavy Bolter- Perfect for gunning a unit about to charge with it high rate of fire. Its 36â€?range limits it needing to be out in the open.
1. None@All- Hmmm could not possibly alright you ask. Well why not leaves more options to be taken by the squad as well as keeps the price down.
Special Weapon lineup
5. Plasma gun- Like guard did not have enough enemies to begin with now are guns want to kill us. Only consider taking a plasma gun if you are going to take a medic.
4. Grenade launcher- the cheap cost is alright for but there are better weapons out there. Also why does the grenade launcher guy not come with both frag and krak grenades his gun shoots them. Makes sense to me but not GW I guess.
3. None at all. Save the points and spend it elsewhere in the army.
2. Flamer. cheapest available kills marines/swarms with no cover save allowed. Perfect if your hiding in cover and want the advantage should enemies appear.
1. Melta gun- vehicles got a lot meaner with the move and shoot rules. It is now more common place to get tank shocked. This little gem should stop your opponent from even trying that trick as well it kills space marines outright.
P.S. its also my favorite.
Troop heavy armies IMO should always take a Master vox. Passing you Ld tests is invaluable in 4th edition.
In a small game say 500pts or in a vehicle heavy army a standard vox will do.
Only take no vox if your troops are going to stay within 12â€? of your General
2. Medic- Ill take one if I take a plasma gun Nuff said â€śoven mitts are fun and all."
1. Standard Bearer- Should IMO be in every army. The reroll almost cure's you of failed Ld Tests. The points overall are an excellent upgrade that will save your butt over and over.
The regimental standard looks cool but the bonuses are only 6â€? range. For the cost there are better options out there.*REMEMBER the bonus of the standard does not pass through the vox*
7. Power fist. Last on the list because it forces everyone who uses it to fight last. The only members of a squad who can take one will probably be dead before they get to use it.
6. Plasma pistol- Yeah! only xxpts for a weapon that will kill your guy *only consider if taking a medic.*
5. Storm Bolter- Great range/assault2/kills many of our enemies outright. Unfortunately x points a piece makes the squad expensive after a few. Points are better spent on more men.
4. Close combat weapons. if you give your guys 2 handed weapons give them a CCW. It averages out to 3 pts in a command squad for 3 extra attacks. Not a bad investment.
3. none- cheap and neat spend the points elsewhere.
2. Bolter/bolt pistol a single point for a bit more punch. Good for those who can take them. I prefer the bolter over the bolt pistol as the extra 12â€? comes in handy + rapid fire.
1. Power weapon- cheap!! . Comes in handy when HtH comes around as no armor saves means more wounds.
Iâ€™m not to keen on making guard expensive so I limit my war gear whenever possible.
Most pieces are evaluated but most are too points heavy to use. *Remember a piece of wargear can not be taken off the board as a casualty a extra g-man can.*
Bionics-xpts for a 1 in 6 chance. Not good.
Carapace amour- only good if the whole squad has it (majority save rule and all)
Frag grenades- good investment for the I10 while counter charging. Not bad.
Honorific imperialis- points I will spend as it saves me 5 in the long run.
Krak grenades- I.e. Krap grenades Nuff said.
Macharian cross- Too expensive for something you get for free by learning to set up more effectively.
Master-crafted weapon- too expensive for the limited use
Medallion crimson- only use it on your general if you have the extra points. Never put it on a single wound model. I have seen it done donâ€™t laugh.
Melta bombs- only use if you are playing against a lot of armor and you are willing to sacrifice whoever has it in there hands. Tanks can blow up in a 6â€?circle.
Refractor field- Useful against anyone using high toughness weapons/power weapons/power fists otherwise too expensive.
Surveyor- if you have the points spend them on this. It allows your unit to keep pesky infiltrators from picking on your command squad.
Trademark Item- only good for 1 squad. Use the points on a standard bearer instead. Very similar in bonus and points but without the negative drawback. I have found it to be very useful on a squad of vets to make them hold there ground.
*Before any one gets pissy again ill cover doctrines in a separate guide.*
Fire support squad-
I have found that these squads are best left to a single weapon choice for the whole squad. Splitting up the weapons reduces the dedicated power of the guns.
3X heavy bolters. Works wonders against any troops in the game even marines. Smurfs still get armor saves but make them roll dice they will fail armour saves eventually. 9 S5 AP4 shots for xx pts is alright.
3X Autocannon- The SM tank/dread/transport killing squad. Works wonder against any thing made by orky/tauish.eldarish. Only AP4 so unless no other targets are present donâ€™t use it on troops.
As with fire support squads I have found that splitting there weapons up reduce's the strength of the squad.
3X lascannon is alright if your opponent has all vehicles or termies/high toughness high armor troops. But high points for a strength 3 g-man that will miss 50% of the time is way to expensive.
3X missile launcher. Works best IMO. It can start the game as a dedicated anti armor squad then move to killing troops mid game.*note you get missile launcher for less points in a infantry squad. Points could actually be spent else where if need be to get missile launchers.
Overall my picks are from worst to best.
4. 3X lascannon
3. 3X autocannon
2. 3X missile launcher
1. 3X heavy bolter.
I used them in 3rd and they were so-so. In fourth they suck. I was good at guessing why did they have to take that away . Any way if you like fluff use them but there are better weapons out there.
*small note* Sentinels get the free move at the start of the game. As a cool bonus sentinels black LOS making great instant cover. Plus they get to set up with troops in force limited games.*small note*
For my sentinels I try to keep the same weapon on all in the squad. Dedicate a use for them and stick with it.
Multi lasers- good all around gun donâ€™t discount it.
Autocannon-use against tough troops and light armor.
Lascannon- expensive but good against termies/big creatures and tough armor.
Heavy flamer- good for some hoard killing fun and troops in cover.
My personal choice is 3Xmultilaser. Sitting right in front of my HQ to block LOS to the command squad. Also getting a cover save from your own army is fun .
And last but not least.
Special weapons squads.
I donâ€™t use these guys much as they require a doctrine point to use. But when I do take them I dedicate there use.
Tough snipers- 3X sniper rifle
Suicide style- 1X melta gun drop trooped
Sneaky Pete- 1X demo charge hiding in another squad .
Ace in the hole- 6X LP/CCW hide them among your HQ for more attacks at 5.83 points per man (cheaper than a base G-man)
All are good buys but the small size of the squad makes them easy to wipe out.
Well I hope this helps some new guys out as well as shows some experienced players a few new tricks.
If response to this article is good, and please offer some feed back, Ill continue with the rest of what I have written in stages. This strat is for a static Gun line augmented with tank army. Shoot them before you get charged type of army. Ect. Ect. Ect.
Ta ta for now.
P.s thanks to everyone who put up with me trying "wierd" stuff in games just to see if it worked.
As well as other writers who have put articles out there.
It gives a guy courage to put his thoughts on paper.
Nice guide, but wouldn't moderators appreicate it more if you added on to the pinned guide, just a thought I may be wrong? Plus people may read it more.
Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)
Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces
I dont know how to pin articlesOriginally posted by closet_anarchist@Mar 10 2005, 22:47
Nice guide, but wouldn't moderators appreicate it more if you added on to the pinned guide, just a thought I may be wrong? Plus people may read it more.[snapback]349559[/snapback]
if one of the mods like it could you pin it for me
If you go hereOriginally posted by broncoboy1974@Mar 11 2005, 166
I dont know how to pin articles
if one of the mods like it could you pin it for me
you can write tactica anbd the like as articles . They will then be approved by a mod before being placed on the database and added to the pinned thread.
thank youOriginally posted by Knape97@Mar 12 2005, 01:12
If you go here
you can write tactica anbd the like as articles . They will then be approved by a mod before being placed on the database and added to the pinned thread.[snapback]350420[/snapback]