Tank Choice For Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i know the topic on tanks has been done many times, and yes i know the advantages and disadvantages of them all.

So why am i posting another topic on the same subject?

Not too long ago, i went to my local GW and was considering getting a tank. I wasn't sure whether to get a LRC, a predator, or a Leman Russ - yes i play Space Wolves, just in case the title didn't give that away. I was told the advantages and disadvantages of each, and so i chose the LRC, because it looks so cool, and it can take a full complement of Blood Claws (15) and they can charge out of it, or a 9 man Wolf Guard Bodyguard and my Rune Priest in Terminator Armour, again they can charge out of it.

At the time i was told that as fluffy as the Leman Russ was, it wasn't worth the points, and a predator of either variety would do a similar job, for less points.

So my fellow Brother's of Russ, and all you other tank nuts, what do you take into battle with you? How many SW players have and use regularly a LRE? Is it worth it on the field, or just a nice fluffy attachment. And for those of you who do use it , do you arm it with hull mounted Lascannon and HB sponsons or HB hull mounted and HB sponsons?

So bearing in mind i mainly play marine and nid, what would best compliment my army - Leman Russ Exterminator (and where can i buy the extra bits to build this?), Predator either variety, Whirlwind, or Vindicator? My army list is as follows:

HQs:
    Wolf Lord
    Wolf Guard Battle Leader
    Venerable Drednaught
    Rune Priest

Elites:
    Wolf Guard Bodyguards in termi armour and assault cannons, storm bolters, lightning claws, thunder hammers, powerfists and chainfists
    Iron Priest
    Wolf Scouts

Fast Attack:
    Landspeeder Tornado

Troops
    1x 10 Grey Hunters
    1x 15 Blood Claws
    1x 3 Blood Claw Bikers

Heavy Supprt:
    Land Raider Crusader
    Long Fang Pack with Pack Leader

Transports
    Rhino
    Razorback

Cheers in advance for yout thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you didn't write what your long fangs pack was armed with, nor which weapon your razorback has, but i'll have to say that a predator annihilator with heavy bolter sponsons is a safe bet. low points cost and ability to deal with most enemies makes it a grand choice. i never play without, and i'm actually considering a second for my 1500 pts army.
    but i would also recommend more troops. another pack of grey hunters or blood claws would do nicely. with a rhino, unless you still have the rhino top hatch for you razorback, and thus can use it as both. (just leave the hatch loose, and you can change it whenever you feel like it..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Fangs have a multimelta, lascannon, heavy bolter, missile launcher and plasma cannon, with only four getting picked.

Razorback has TL Lascannons, which is glued onto the body of the transporter - reason being it will mainly be used to transport the LF's, and the razorback can be used as extra cover, and an tank hunting, depending on how the game is going.

The BC's will mainly use the LRC, but occassionally the termies will nip up field in it. Leaving the GH with the rhino. Although none of the vehicles will carry pack markings so they can carry whatever units i deem necessary, such as a small BC unit going in the transporter instead of footslogging or going in the LRC.

I can see your point that i could really use some more troops, but the way my army has come about is through getting one of each unit once i have decided that they could benefit my army. As of yet i have not doubled anything up, as i could always use an army listing of something i haven't already got. Hence me looking at tanks next.

So we have one vote and thumbs up for the Predator Anihalator. Any more advances?
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

So bearing in mind i mainly play marine and nid, what would best compliment my army - Leman Russ Exterminator (and where can i buy the extra bits to build this?), Predator either variety, Whirlwind, or Vindicator?
    You can still get the parts from the online store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would definately invest in more troops....particuarly blood claws....also i would really really get the wolf scouts...costs 110pts for 5 with a melta gun plasma pistol and melta bombs....they generally get their points back...and also attract a lot of attention from your opponant allowing ur troops an extra turn to move foraward with out too much damage.....you dont really need the tanks.....speeders grey hunters with melta guns wolf scouts powerfists wolf guard with heavy weapons or assault cannons and dreadnoughts with lascannons are more effective then the expensive tank......landraiders are cool but every one takes them.....take lots of troops and march across the table....long fangs suck in 4th ed...small in numbers and presents a large and expensive target for your opponant to kill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have Wolf Scouts, and yes they are worth their points.

Yes i need more troops, but that was not really the answer i was looking for. Not only that my SW's are far from a standard SW army, but that is because of the way my army expands - little money and purchases are few and far between. And When i do get new models, my current units generally get a reworking to allow the new models in.

So back to tanks ...

LRE, predator a/d, whirlwind, or vindicator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

To be perfectly honest, the Leman Russ is more of a fluff thing than anything else.

As you say, compared to the Predator Destructor it does not stand up as value for points. However, the Russ does benefit from superior front and side armour, the Autocannon being twin-linked, as well as the option of an added hull mounted Las Cannon.

Now, whether you consider these benefits worth the points is a personal thing, but I do.

It really depents upon your foe.

If fighting Nids, I would take the Leman Russ. The extra points paid for it will reap dividends early in the game and it has the power to take on the bigger Nids too.

Against a troop heavy Marine army I would take a Destructor armed with Autocannon and Las Sponsons.

Versus a Vehicle heavy Marine Army I would opt for the Annihilator with all Las Cannons.

You have already pointed out the benefit of the Land Raider Crusader with a load of Blood Claws so it goes without saying that you should include one in your army.

Personally I have 3 out of the 4 within my model collection (I don't use the Annihilator at all).

I have the Leman Russ purely because as a Space Wolf player, I can (and it does stand up to punishment rather better than the Predator).

Wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Wolfkin.

I actually have all four in my collection, as well as two normal LRs for when I feel like the king of the cheese throne. ;p BC pack in an LRC, two GH packs in LRs, watch the enemy cower in fear.

Anyway, the LRE isn't awful. But it sure isn't great, either. It's overpriced and kind of out of place in our list. But, against Orks or 'Nids, it's a blessing. Three HBs and an autocannon does amazing things to big squads of bugs and greenskins.

On the other hand, the destructor is much cheaper, comes with nearly the same payload and it's armor is just marginally less effective. It's tough, but the LRE just really isn't worth the points in 90% of situations.

Take it for fluff. Take it for hordes. Put it on the shelf for everything else.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if i'm reading this correctly, you guys if pushed to choose one tank, would opt for either the LRE or pred d, but would side with the pred because it's cheaper.

If you haven't already guessed, i was leaning towards the LRE just because it's fluffy and marginally better than the pred d, which does look cool though!

Looks like i'm goiong to scour ebay for a cheap Leman Russ, and might even luck out and find a LRE. Unless any of you guys know where i can get an unmade one for cheap - as good as the bargains on ebay are, i like the new untouched models the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HB are crap against nids so I would take the Pred Annihilator.

If you belive that you belive anything

For nids I'd take the LRE, the extra armour is such a pain in the arse with most nid weapons, and with plenty of HB fire then the nid player may have to re-think his tactics a little.

Against Marines, then as others have said it depends how many troops he fields, if he has few vehicles then you dont need that many LC's but if he has a few then the annihilator is awsome.

For reference I have all of these models besides the LRE and the one I am leaning to at the moment is the vindicator with long barrel against any nid army I will play against, yet to use it, but love the idea.

Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast