Tactics Vs The Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK searched the forums and came up with very little. What I need is some tough tactics for 1K battles s the guard.

I'm thinking of going Ultramarine Armour and trying to match it up with the Guard's tanks.

However I'm not sure if it's entirely feasible.

So now im looking for any tactic at all. No matter how crazy you think it sounds, also any tactic you have that works perfectly I wouldnt mind either.

Bare in mind I'm a Captain of the Ultramarines, so Blood Angel and so on tactics are useless to me.

-Invic

Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me just say one thing..There is no army out there that can go toe-to-toe with the guard in a tank battle. Personnaly I suggest that if he is tank heavy to take some small squads of marines and arm them with lascannons and send them tank hunting. Just a suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Right, your a man after my own heart. Basically I play Imperial Guard a lot...and I hate them with a vengeance (too many poundings). The problem with guard is they are one of the few armies that can take the same army list, and expect it to do well against Marines, Eldar, Tyranids...anyone.

Everyone knows the cardinal rule against the guard: GET INTO CC!

Trading fire with Imperial Guard is for the incredibly stupid only.

The old rhino rush used to be the best anti-IG tactic...sadly it's death has made the guard formidable to the Space Marine player. Therefore there is one primary thing you must keep in mind. Your objective is to get your army from one side of the board to the other without losing too many men.

Against guard, with all their lascannons/missile launchers, I find light marine tanks die too easy, so I would play an all infantry list. The guard can pack anti-tank weapons to a ridiculous level. Instead give him a headache with loads of tough marines, and make his anti-tank weapons a waste.

Again, the problem is to get all your footslogging marines from one side of the board to another reasonably intact. There are several possible methods;

1/ Drop pod assault - Podding into the enemy position.

Pros: Gets your men right into the guard, stormbolter armed drop pods add to the available targets and dilute incoming fire.
    Cons: Army arrives seperately due to reserves (risk of being wiped out one unit at a time), you need the models.

Verdict: Play if you have drop pod models, or you opponent will let you proxy.

2/ Infiltrators - Taking trait 'See but don't be Seen'

Pros: Your army gets to position after enemy deployment, no risk of not making it, your already there! Reasonably cheap. No scatter. No need for new models.
    Cons: Can't be played by the trait-less Ultramarines.

Verdict: You can't play this, but in an ideal world this is what I would use.

3/ Speed army - Maxing out on Assault Squads and Bikes.

Pros: Fast army gets into CC faster. Bikes can rapid fire and assault.
    Cons: A lot smaller numbers than infiltrate, requires large numbers of jumppack/bike models, considered cheese due to min/maxing on troops. Footslogging troop choices probably won't do much being slower than rest of army.

Verdict: Always a viable option. but results in a dangerously small army which is still incredibly ordinance vulnerable.

Once you actually get there, the other thing to remember is you can't just bowl straight into 80 odd guardsmen and expect them to just bowl over. There is simply too many, play intelligently, concentrate your squads, isolate units. If you expect your shooting to do anything, concentrate it on his HQ squad and kill his master vox. Make his units LD7.

Due to a grudge match with my Imperial Guard playing friend, this is my anti-guard army list I am now using, honed to perfection, through many long battles.

Master Saul, Lightning Claw, Combi-Meltagun 115pts
    9 Man Command Squad CCW +BPs, 2x Meltaguns 155
    Infiltrate +30

10 Man Tactical Squad CCW + BPs 150
    Infiltrate +30

Infiltrate +30

Infiltrate +30

5 Man Devastator Squad, 2 Lascannons 145
    Infiltrate +15

Traits = Take the fight to them
    See, but don't be seen.

Drawbacks = Eye to Eye
    We stand alone

Points 1000 (Exactly&#33
    Models 45.

Thats 45 LD 10 marines with CCW + BP (meaning I can shoot and assault) starting 12-18 inches away from the guard lines, and deploying AFTER the guard.

And so I place my squads in response to his positioning, and I place the 2 lascannon squad in position to shoot in the side of one Russ. Other than that I head my command squad towards the armour too, and take my 3 meltagun shots at the other threatening armour.

Yes, I have played guard far too much. :unsure:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring a couple whirlwinds and trade pie plate death with them. The IG is great for that, there's usually so many of them you can score some really big hits with blast templates (of all varieties), they have low Ld so you can pin them easily (with sniper rifles or pinning ordnance), and there's so many of them you virtually can't miss with the scatter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

In a 1000 point game going toe-to-toe with guard shooting generally will not work with space marines. Maxing on tactical squads will work though, if you can get in rapid fire range. The list posted would be effective vs guard, keep pressure on. I might consider an assault squad to get in there and tear a hole.

Side note: My iron warriors have frequently gone toe-to-toe vs guard shooting in pure shooting matches and come out on top. However, this is rare, and that's what Iron Warriors specialize in.
    With Space Marine's following the codex it can be done. 3 Whirlwinds, scout squads with snipers and dreads with assault cannons. I've seen it done, wasn't pretty, wasn't entertaining, but the marine player did it. Obviously i'm leaving his list out, and can probably get hold of him to get the list if you want it.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Turbo'd bikes are the bane of Guard especialy with IG wonding on a 6+, I play a Whirwind and it was useful against a DH player with lots of I-Stormtroopers, save it scatered a bit too much.

I use attack bikes with multi-melta's they don't care much for high armour Leman Russes.

Flamers would be nice and scouts...I am not too sure about. IG can actualy get pretty good Ld with a HSO and standard, 9 with re-roll is brave and snipers will be less effective than bolters due to thier lack of ap and higher points cost.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

against tanks i say one word well maybe two, melta-gun and a whole lot of em especially the attack bike squad with 3 multi-meltas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

The best article I've seen on the subject is www.warhammer40kworld.com/Tactics/tactics10.html+%22how+to+beat+imperial+guard%22&hl=en]here.[/url]

One thing though, the site is down, and that link is Google's cache. For some reason the link appears empty, but click select all (or ctrl + A), and the article will magically appear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks lads, I'll probably go a massed infantry list backed by some Speeder Squadrons.

-Invic

P.S - Wish me luck
    Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, be an ass and go ass cannons!!! ^_^...
    2 Dreads (AC+S,
    3 Speeders (AC+H,
    5 Termies (2 ACs)
    3 Scout Squads (2 SR + 1 H - Pin stuff...for fun...
    And 1 Captain (PW+BP)
    Dunno if it'll work though, never used asses...let alone played this list, o_O...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast