Close Combat Inquisitor - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close Combat Inquisitor

I'm trying to make a reasonble close combat inquisitor without spending too much. I figured that I could tool him up to take on "weaker" type troops (guardsmen, warriors, orks, gaunts, ect) since standard Grey Knights can handle much tougher opponents. So how does this look?

Artificer Armor (to keep him alive)
    Lightning Claws (mostly cause I love lightning claws and GK can't have 'em)
    Holocoust (has high strength, huge area, and against poor armor troops should take out a fair amount)

One question, about holocoust. Does it count as a close combat attack? Cause if not, I'd love to drop one on those infernal wyches and laugh as his "invulnerable" squad crumbles to dust :cool:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what you mean by "counts as a close combat attack". It is used in close combat at I 1, and any wounds it inflicts count towards combat resolution. It does not, however, give you +1 A for an additional CC attack. Technically, it is not a CC attack, it is a psychic power used during CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of retinue are you planning for him?

May I suggest 2 acolytes (with bolt pistols and cc weapons), 2 combat servitors, a familiar and hierophant (for the elite inquisitor). Unforetunately that does take up 54 points, so you might want to skip the retinue if you're going for low points cost. If you're really low on points you might want to skip the inquisitor all together, unless you really need him for assassins/ordnance.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

Who are you to judge what is sane and what is not??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An inquisitor should generally be used to cover the weaknesses in your army, and if you are already using Grey Knights, it really would be better to use a shooty inquisitor (if any) rather than a CC oriented one.
    That said, an inquisitor can also be tooled up by his retinue, so when designing one, design a retinue as well.
    You're guy is tooled himself well for what he's meant (he lacks an inv save, but you shouldnt send him against power weapons.)
    After that, a retinue with close combat servitors, acolytes (I'd use stormshields for them), and a familiar, will boost your close combat stats enough to give him a fighting chance. Then pop him in a rhino and send him to the front.

However, doing all that is going to cost you, pointwise, as much as almost a full squad of grey knights, maybe more. He won't be effective enough to justify it, in my opinion, in a Puritan army. CC-Oriented inquisitors are honestly relegated to the Radical sect.

P.S. Don't get a perils of the warp on banishment, or else you'll inquisitor will be auto-killed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since you're carrying GKs, the inquisitor shouldn't necessarily go CC. i'd suggest shooty, with a psycannon and retinue of mystic, 2 sages and 3 gun servies, all with heavy bolters. it'll still fill your needs for weeding out those 'weaker' troops (from IG to eldar to even tau, since you're shooting ap4's) CC inqui's are primarily meant for two purposes: to ensure daemons die (with daemonhammer & some small wargear in tow) and as a CC possibility for radicals.

when i feel radical, i go with this setup. it might work for your needs too

Inq Lord w/ Daemohammer (or thunder hammer if you feel inclined to save 5 points) and halocaust w/ retinue of 3 combat servitoes (w/ power fist & ccw), & 3 acolytes (w/ storm shields). this set up should utterly wipe out 'weaker' units and power armored units (hitting on 3's and 4's and wounding on 2's? troop infantry will fall indeed, and if you fight basics, with exception of roks and tau, it's highly doubtful that death will occurr to you)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he's an I Want My Eversor inquisitor, and I don't want to have to spend the points to set up a respectable fire base (which I feel is too fragile regardless). I was planning to keep him at one model and let him ride with the storm troopers, get out, and rush into cc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "counts as a close combat attack". It is used in close combat at I 1, and any wounds it inflicts count towards combat resolution. It does not, however, give you +1 A for an additional CC attack. Technically, it is not a CC attack, it is a psychic power used during CC.
    Basically, wyches get a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat. I'm asking if that save applies to holocoust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like this cheap sent up someone metioned on portent

inquisitor with lightning claws (power weapon if you want it really cheap)
    3 warriors, 2 with ccw and hellpistol and 1 with upgrade (power fist or special weapon)
    1 familiar

101pts

i think thats right

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost never take an inquisitor. Even with power fist/daemonhammer, he's only at strength 6 and almost always strikes last. In an army filled with strength 6 power armored giants, that isn't to impressive, especially once you factor in the low toughness. You should keep him with any IST, but give him just a boltgun and power armor, 11 points, and keep the entire squad in a support position, they get chewed up too easily in CC. If you want him for demon-killing, take a grandmaster with grimiour of true names and sacred incense, this combo is almost always going to get an autokill.

If you do just need him for the units he unlocks, then you can always spend the points on just him, no weapons or anything, and keep him in the back of your deployment zone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Terzo
    I figured that I could tool him up to take on "weaker" type troops (guardsmen, warriors, orks, gaunts, ect) since standard Grey Knights can handle much tougher opponents.
    If you think your average ork boyz are roughly equal to guardsmen or gaunts in cc ability, then prepare to be choppa'd!

Even if my inquisitor had a cc retinue I would try to avoid getting him involved in a scrap with a mob of orks. Even IF he won, it would be a hard fight and the greenskins tying him up are probably a lot cheaper than he is in points.

That minor issue aside, you mentioned that you find the =I= as a firebase is too fragile?

I usually find quite the opposite. 1 or 2 chirurgeons in the retinue for healing, a sage or two, and you have in my experience a heavy weapons unit that is more accurate than most and frustratingly difficult to kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, considernig how you want to use him, I say go for it. Attach him to a squad of IST with Flamers and give him Holocaust and Consecrated Scrolls for a second Holocaust and whatever you're tying up will be damaged way beyond impact level.
    ISTs are very good at this. This squad plus Eversor will provide you some decent and flexible alternatives.

+ Reply to Thread