what troops should i get first..? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what troops should i get first..?

okay. i have finally decided to play dh's. so on friday i am going to gw to purchase my first troops. unfortunatly i have a limited amount of spending money. a very limited amount. so i was wondering what should be my main priority purchase, second, ect.. so yeah, what should i get..?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member taint_of_the_dark_ones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

It's good to hear of a new DH player, but before I tell you what to buy, is your army going to be puritan or radical? In other words, do you want an army that includes Grey Knights, or an army without them?

If you go puritan, i'd suggest a Grey Knight squad or 2 first, followed by a brother captain, then a terminator squad. If you go radical, 2 squads of Storm Troopers, followed by an inquisitor and retinue. Hope that helps, and please tell us what kind of army you want,
    Taint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am not sure what kind i want. i like the idea of having a radical dh army. but is it really worth giving up the firepower of the gk's..?

Senior Member taint_of_the_dark_ones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Grey Knights don't have brilliant firepower, they have better weapons then space marines, but die just as easily, while costing alot more (both money and points wise). You could start a radical army, while still collecting Grey Knights and still be able to play a puritan list, as storm troopers can be used in a puritan army, the only thing that you would have to drop would be the radically equiped inquisitor, and the daemonhosts. Cheers,
    Taint

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are not sure which you want to play I would purchase the Storm Troopers because they are a versitile troop which is almost all DH armies.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Choose your own army )

1) Do you like the look of grey knights, or stormtroopers more?
    a) If you like grey knights go on to question 2.
    b) If you like stormtroopers go on to question 3.
    c) If you haven't seen either go here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/daemonhunters/gallery/1/

2) Do you like a diverse army or a more monotone one?
    a) If you like very diverse go to question 3.
    b) If you like somewhat diverse go to question 4.
    c) If you like an army full of Grey Knights, and nothing else go to choice I.

3) Do you like a an army with a dark feel or one with a more puritan outlook?
    a) If you like a very dark army, with daemonhosts, stormtroopers and inquisitors go to choice IV.
    b) If you like an army with a more puritan feel go to question 4.

4) Do you want an army with more assault capabilities or one with more long range firepower?
    a) If you want a close combat army go to choice II.
    b) If you want a diverse army go to choice III.
    c) If you want a grim shooty army go to choice IV.

Choices:
    I) You would probably like a pure Grey Knight army. The first units to buy would be (you guessed it) grey knights in power armour. They are a bit expensive though.

II) You'd probably like an army with many grey knights, inquisitors, assassins and a unit of stormtroopers or two. The first unit you might want to buy would be an inquisitor and retinue. You can use these in both radical and puritan armies and their retinues are flexible. Then think about buying some grey knights.

III) With a diverse army collecting the army in blocks of 500pts will probably not work. I'd make a 2000 pt list, playtest it (with borrowed models or even coins) and make sure the army works on the table top. Then start buying the troops for the army, whatever they may be.

IV) You would probably like a radical army. These can have either space marines or imperial guard as help, but your first priority should be stormtroopers. You can buy Kasrkin and use them as stormtroopers or convert imperial guard models.

I hope this helped a little. As always these are just my imperfect opinions.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

Who are you to judge what is sane and what is not??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auracon
    (Choose your own army )

1) Do you like the look of grey knights, or stormtroopers more?
    a) If you like grey knights go on to question 2.
    b) If you like stormtroopers go on to question 3.
    c) If you haven't seen either go here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/daemonhunters/gallery/1/

2) Do you like a diverse army or a more monotone one?
    a) If you like very diverse go to question 3.
    b) If you like somewhat diverse go to question 4.
    c) If you like an army full of Grey Knights, and nothing else go to choice I.

3) Do you like a an army with a dark feel or one with a more puritan outlook?
    a) If you like a very dark army, with daemonhosts, stormtroopers and inquisitors go to choice IV.
    b) If you like an army with a more puritan feel go to question 4.

4) Do you want an army with more assault capabilities or one with more long range firepower?
    a) If you want a close combat army go to choice II.
    b) If you want a diverse army go to choice III.
    c) If you want a grim shooty army go to choice IV.

Choices:
    I) You would probably like a pure Grey Knight army. The first units to buy would be (you guessed it) grey knights in power armour. They are a bit expensive though.

II) You'd probably like an army with many grey knights, inquisitors, assassins and a unit of stormtroopers or two. The first unit you might want to buy would be an inquisitor and retinue. You can use these in both radical and puritan armies and their retinues are flexible. Then think about buying some grey knights.

III) With a diverse army collecting the army in blocks of 500pts will probably not work. I'd make a 2000 pt list, playtest it (with borrowed models or even coins) and make sure the army works on the table top. Then start buying the troops for the army, whatever they may be.

IV) You would probably like a radical army. These can have either space marines or imperial guard as help, but your first priority should be stormtroopers. You can buy Kasrkin and use them as stormtroopers or convert imperial guard models.

I hope this helped a little. As always these are just my imperfect opinions.
    Should this be a sticky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Or you could just make a new more in depth version and make it the 'army selector sticky' which is popping up in every forum.

+ Reply to Thread