Valkryie Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

Valkryie Tactics

After some thought, I don't see the advantage of including one in an army. If anyone uses them, how about sharing your thoughts on this. Thanks

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK I am working on a drop troop army, the original concept arrived over a year ago, but the new Elysians has added some steam to it. In the first lists I put together I took the mechanised doctrine and replaced all chimeras with Valkyries, but at around 250 points per transport compared to about 80 points per squad, the army very quickly bcame a flying army of valkyries. that coupled with the cost (points wise) and effectiveness compared to Vultures means I went down the drop troop route with Vulture support.

The Valkyries offer number of minor advantages: the ability to avoid scatter when delivering troops being the primary, but they just dont justify the cost, or more accrately the valkyrie is so many points, I would still deep strike troops and never put the Valkyrie in VTOL mode.

Vultures are entirely a different matter, even fully armed they can still be cheaper than Valkyries, I go for 6 heavy bombs and twin linked auto cannon, this is horrific for a marine player, 6 ordinance templates? Ow, the autocannon joins the fun as does the heavy bolter, never ever ever use VTOL hover mode, they are just too vulnerable

Whilst I may belatedly add valkyries to the army, this would be esthetic more than anything else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

yea, I didn't think that they were that effective. I played one game with them and realized that I could do so much better with more infantry instead of those super-expensive valkryies. I think I may not even include Vultures, as they tend to be very expensive and those heavy bombs don't seem to do much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I haven't got my Valkyrie fully painted yet, and I haven't gotten a base for it (does anyone have any suggestions on making a base for her?) but I can see the advantages from taking any kind of flyer in a list.

First off, I decided to go with a Multilaser rather than a Lascannon. I figure that if I want to use my airplane to hunt tanks, I'll either use the Hellstrike Missiles, or fly to the enemies back armor and hit his soft side with six str 5 and three str 6, rather than take a chance at wiffing with a one shot Lascannon.

As for tactics, unless your enemies army severly lacks in long range firepower, you shouldn't be trying anything fancy like strafing the entire enemy line. The Valkyrie is a flying Chimera. She can't take much before she goes kablooey. I think it's probably best to deploy on your side of the table, and when you get to move, just move her up a little bit so your guns are in range. That way, you'll only be vulnerable to weapons with 48" range or longer. The fact that very few weapons fire this far, and even fewer fire multiple times makes your plane a rather difficult target (i.e. Do I shoot one Lascannon at the Valkyrie and take a very slim chance of hitting, then sacrificing my great strength on only being able to get a Glancing hit, plus sacrifice nine other Marines shooting, or do I move and rapid fire into the Guardsmen hiding in the building?) In this example, he'd probably be best to rapid fire on the infantry, though he'll score less victory points than if he shot down a plane. In my opinion, the only weapon worth shooting at a flyer are some Tyranid weapons, and Autocannons, but I see so few of these, that I don't think that should cause me much pause.

On VTOL mode; I think this is overrated. It makes the Valkyrie extremely vulnerable and I can only see VTOL mode utilized to drop off/pick up troops (unless the enemy has moved ALL of his heavy weapons and you can position the plane so he won't be able to shoot you down). For the most part, make your Air Cav Infantry walk, and if they need to move quick late in a game, you can do it as the Valkyrie was purchased for them, though this is still very risky.

Our flyers should be more of a nuisance to your enemy than anything else. Don't expect them to be the star of the game like a Thunderhawk, esspecially with Guard shooting. However, you can take steps to keep them safe, while still dishing out a reasonable ammount of hurt and it'll make your opponent react funny because he doesn't know where you're going to strike.

(I just wish I could get the rules for this thing. There's no way I'm paying $90 for two pages worth of information.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Lyran "Heavy bombs dont seem to do much"? These are ordiance templates, they are death to marines, CSM and especialy necrons (What "We'll be back"), you got 6 of these, how many squads does your opponent have? MY problem with my vulture is, paticularly in friendlies, not taking the opponents entire army appart using 240 points worth of aircraft, but also using my other stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah my vulture has the same effect on battles,

The look on the tyranid players face as I was unleashing 8 blast templates PER turn using 4 multiple rocket pods. I can't say I've used heavy bombs before but it is now an option I'll consider (I better brush up on my guess range skills).

A vulture far outstrips the usefulness of a valkyrie in my opinion and is £10 cheaper lol. They're very versatile and can be tooled up for pretty much any job you need

Nids/Orks? Multiple rocket pods all the way baby

lots of light armor? HKMs, twin linked autocannon

heavy armor? HKMs, twin linked las cannon and a suicide charge from the rear!

I'll definitely try out the heavy bomb option soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

i dropped six bombs down over the course of a game, and killed a grand total of one necron warrior with them. it wasn't due to bad placement. the bombs pretty much hit on target, but those damned necrons got back up. at strength 6 it wounds on a 2+, but w/ the we'll be back rule and the two ressurection orbs in my brother's army, the bombs weren't very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an aeroplane in my army, (I'm trying to make an air cavalry force), but I find that it is an incredible magnet for every sort of nasty weapon in my opponents army. And unfortunately it often ends up as a relative waste of points. But they can be very effective to take out light vehicles and keep your enemies infantry in cover, you can use it to pin him and draw fire from the rest of your army and so use your infantry to move up unharassed.
    One really important note: never ever use aeroplanes against Tau; 72", strength 10 rail guns says it all.

+ Reply to Thread