Effective Armored Company Armylists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Effective Armored Company Armylists

Im quite new too armored company (and tanks in general as my last army was nids and I've recently been playing fantasy alot). I understand the basic strategies of the army but making a good list I know nothing about. Players in my area are talking about how bad their gonna stomp all over me (which they probably will I'm a fish outta water in 40k). I just thought it would be helpful for other people to share their lists and explain why they set their army up like that. Thank you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Armored companies demonstrate two huge extremes:
    Armies that aren't geared to fight them will be ground into little bloody pulp under your treads.
    Armies that are geared to fight them will turn yours into a heaping hunk of steaming junk.

There really isn't an all-purpose AC list. Your best bet, since everybody knows you're fielding one, is to forego it at all. However, if you really want to run one, make a varied army. A huge mob of Russes is not the way to go. Keep it good and balanced.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A huge mob of russes is the way to go.

What you need to do is maximize the amout of AP2 weapons you have by using improved sponsons doctrine. Your battlecannons can take care of anything else on the board, whether they be min-maxed marine squads with lascannons to hordes of eldar guardians with brightlances. AP2 weapons (lascannons and plasma cannons in an AC) will deal with 2+ save nasties, like winged hive tyrants and terminators with assault cannons. The lascannons are there to deal with other armor, since anti-tank shells and vanquishers are too expensive for what they do.

In a thousand points, you can get five AV14 vehicles (command tank, 2 russes with lascannons and plasma cannons, and 2 demolishers with lascannons and plasma cannons). Vehicle upgrades like extra armor and smoke launchers are a luxury; moving after getting stunned and getting glancing hits only on frontal armor 14 aren't exactly the most important things to an armored company.
    Last edited by General Nuke Em; April 2nd, 2005 at 21:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd completely disagree with everything general nuke em says. Not because he's wrong since as far as winning battles goes he's spot on. Its that i think that just moving russes round the board ain't that tactically challenging and i could see it getting old real fast. Theres room for some flexibility in the list so i'd recommend using it. Think what kind of style of play you prefer, are you a stand and shoot or do you prefer fast attack, maybe a mix of both. Personally i prefer characterful armies to ones that stretch the lists to make them most effective.

Good luck
    HALO 2 - Sure those first few games where you wipe out the opposition with the rocket launcher, overshield and camoflage are fun but after a while you start looking for something more. Next it has to be death by plasma sword or sticky bomb, till pretty soon only clobbering your opponent with the butt of your rifle will do. The more difficult something is to do, the more fun it is when you pull it off. For IG players the word for this is Mobility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternatives

Anyone can max out on the variants of the Leman Russ. But add a little flavor and think of the butt whupping the Israelis went through in 1973 when all they had was tanks. A good combined arms AC list would include a squad or two of armored fist troops in Chimeras, 1-2 squadrons of sentinels two. They give you some tactical flexibility by being able to move them around to get a good side shot in on something you really need to die on turn one. Additionally it lets you put more targets on the board instead of just five tanks.

Even if you cream the opponent he won't feel sooo bad because he was at least able to engage some poor IG crunchies who were holding an objective or decent terrain setting the stages for the Tanks to roll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I planned on only having 2 battle tanks and 2 exterminators a hell hound and what not. But is armored company as easy to demolish as I hear is anyone here experienced with playing people that feild massive anti tank units. Right now the only army I really fear are the Tau and with good reason but any whats your opinion on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ay their not all that easy to kill not on s10 they still need a 5/6 to pen and a 4 to glance whitch is pretty good odds

id say take 2 squads of sentinals with hflamers to t\nail lots of troopes tak a lemun russ command tank with plasma cannon 2 more lemun russues with same and 1/2 basilisks to site at the back and pound things to pulp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by insomnia
    i ay their not all that easy to kill not on s10 they still need a 5/6 to pen and a 4 to glance whitch is pretty good odds
    thats the sad part with the railgun, its ap 1 and so every glancing hit counts as penetrating hit instead. So your russes and all other tanks are pretty much dead if they try to go toe-to-toe with a hammerhead...

also a side note: Hammerheads are got to be the cheesiest tank out there I mean, 72" range, s 6 ap 4 ordance, move 12 (when moving 6 only glancing hits) and still shoot, reroll imobilsed results, substract 6" when checking if your weapon is in range, and s 10 ap 1 omfg!!! why does it have to have ap 1 it's to much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

+ Reply to Thread