How to beat Necrons with a balanced list (IG) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

How to beat Necrons with a balanced list (IG)

How would an IG army handle a necron army? It seems awfully hard to beat them. Do you have to rely on your tanks not dieing early so you can get a few ordinance blasts off? Are there and backup plans if, say, you lose your basilisk and battle tanks within the first 2 turns?

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Necrons have few weakness
    1) Target both types of destoryers first.After all destroyers are gone then his range is only 24.
    2) Next ap3 wpns hurt them
    3) Kill anyhting that reduces his PO rule.

So get alot of hvy bolters, missile launchers and some lasercannons just in case the lith pop out. I usually hide my leman russ until the destroyers are gone or I just pass on them and get more squads with hvy wpns in them. Plasma guns work well to but you must get 24 which means he can shoot you too. Chimera's with hvy stubbers do well after the destroyers are gone. Move 6 and 9 shoots 3-str6, 3- str5 and 3 -str 4 all 36 inch range. Some necrons players are static just stay there and go toe to toe shooting. Not good thing to do with the IG. We are the best at shoot alot stuff.
    Bonekrusher
    PS
    On nightbringer ignore it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by bonekrusher
    So get alot of hvy bolters, missile launchers and some lasercannons just in case the lith pop out. I usually hide my leman russ until the destroyers are gone or I just pass on them and get more squads with hvy wpns in them. Plasma guns work well to but you must get 24 which means he can shoot you too. Chimera's with hvy stubbers do well after the destroyers are gone.
    Make sure with stay with the idea that: the army list we have was built BEFORE we found out that we were fighting necrons. So no tailored lists. Just tactics and strategies using a balanced list. But thankyou most of your post was really helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take out all fast attack, working down from Heavy destroyers to scarabs. Scarabs can be taken out with HB or even lasguns/hellguns, but they must be taken out before they hit your lines. After that, drop ordnance on necron warriors that are outside of res orb range unless you have a lot of heavy weapons in the same area.. then you can try ordnance to take out the warriors and then using the rest of your heavies to take out the Lord (if he dies, the other Necrons do not get their WB. If they are using a C'tan, ignore it and concentrate on the necron warriors for the phase-out (unless they have Necrons in reserve totalling 25%+1 of total necrons). Ignore Pariahs until they are within 18" and then only engage them if you have no available Necron targets (you shouldn't have to worry, most Necron players don't use Pariahs). If they have a Monolith, use all available lacannons to take it out, and if you have squads armed with melta bombs (not 1 on the leader, but the entire squad) charge them at it (4+ to hit on the turn it drops and 6 to glance). That's about it.
    Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Let me just say that as a Mechanised player, fighting Necrons SUCKS. But they are far from unbeatable.

First things first is target priority.
    Number 1: Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers; Kill these guys before they kill your tanks
    Number 2: Immortals; Lots of points and they have the longest range past the Destoyers
    Number 2.5: Scarabs and Wraiths (number 2.5 because their threat is based on field position); These guys are quick and are great in hand to hand against us. Fortunately, they have no shooting weapons, and again, they are quick (so they'll be ahead of the rest of the force (away from Res Orbs) so rapid fire Lasguns/Heavy Bolter into Wraiths and shoot Multilasers at Scarabs and laugh as he picks up a base at a time.
    Number 3: Warriors; Kill enough and make him phase out.

Things to ignore: Tomb Spyders, the Nightbringer, the Monolith, unless it Deep Strikes into your lines.

As for some things to remember:
    Unless you are playing a battle that will go in White Dwarf, the Necron Lord will be carrying a Res Orb, which doesn't totally negate the threat of your pie plates, but it reduces it's power a bit.

If the Lord is going to warp around using a Veil, then put your squads in a field position surrounded by heavy/impassable terrain or table edges. He might scatter off a table or into impassable terrain and lose a Lord + 10 Immortals.

Pack your squads close and consider Close Order Drill. Necrons are lacking in blast and template weapons, so make it so if he fights one squad, he has to fight ten squads. Plus, if he gets silly and charges, you'll be initiative 4, so if you win, you stand a decent chance of cutting him down (I nearly did it to Destroyers once).

ALWAYS TRY TO KILL OFF AN ENTIRE SQUAD AT A TIME!! This is double important for Destroyers. Nothing's more frustrating than killing 2/3 Destroyers and have the two you knocked over stand back up. Kill off a squad entirely and make them lose WBB rolls.

Necrons do worse in small games so maybe challenge your opponent to a 1000 pt battle. While IG aren't the hottest in small sized either, we can still field a sickening ammount of troops in 1000 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember Necrons are very leader dependent and if you kill the lord first then you can

put you mind on something else instead of the VoD and the res orb. Necrons have a 3+

save and then WBB so kill entire squad. Annoyingly Necrons tend to stand back up on

WBB more times then they get killed. Necrons also have a low iniaitive(sp?): 2...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that the most important thing v. Necrons is S8 or better weapons. Your battle tanks and bassie are invaluable. Plasma weapons aren't awful, but melta are usually better. Your lasguns are almost entirely useless (even more so than againt marines) to make sure all you infantry squads have heavy and special weapons. I actually like to use sniper rifles instead of some heavy weapons, giving me a much better chance of wounding the Nightbringer.

Your heavy weapons will almost always outrange the Necron's, so don't be intimidated by how much damage the heavy and regular destroyers could do. You'll take them out before they get a chance to wreck your day.

Aside from that, just be aware that anything in his army has the potential to pop any tank, so always fire at the closest threat, work on popping the monolith early, and take out the Lord. The rest of the army will certainly crumble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarabs are vulnerable to pies. Thats useful to remember.

What sort of list are you using?
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Unless you are playing a battle that will go in White Dwarf, the Necron Lord will be carrying a Res Orb"

LMAO
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by justinb67
    "Unless you are playing a battle that will go in White Dwarf, the Necron Lord will be carrying a Res Orb"

LMAO
    Heheh, I knew someone would get a kick out of that.

+ Reply to Thread