Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Im thinking of starting an Armoured Co. army but I have a few questions....
1. Can the conqueror and vanquisher have a pintle weapon in addition to the co - axial?? becasue under the available vehicle upgrade section for them it lists the vanquisher as being able to take a pintle heavy stubber and the conqueror can take a pintle stubber or bolter....
2. Is the improved sponson doctrine worth it?
What is the best way of making the most capable and generalised armored co army possible? I was thinking 2 or 3 armored fist squads(1sentinel squad if i take 2 armored fists) 2 stormtroopers squads but im not sure on what weapons or tank types would be good against infantry... advice/ suggestions
3. Are the evasive driving and ace sponson doctrines worth it?
4. which is the best tank choice for taking down lots of infantry(standard not to tough infantry) while not eliminating the ability to take down SMurfs
5. Any army list suggestions welcome, please note I am aiming for about 1850 points 2500 points maximum
The Exterminator will give you the most bang for your buck. It may not be something Smurf's fear right out of the box, but the ability to hurl 14 shots at an enemy squad will get their attention (and get them to fail a few saves).
Dont count out the Hellhound either. With its main gun it can inflict a lot of of wounds even when your enemy is hiding in terrain. Plus its cheap.
I am the Aquila-Guerilla!
Sounds like a perfect description of the regular Leman Russ with its battlecannon and tripple heavy bolters(hull and sponsoons). The thing is as you probably already know a monster against regular marines, and the nine hb shots are very effective agains any other type of infantry.Originally Posted by chaos0xomega
I commented on this in another AC thread, but here I go again. This is for a competitive AC list, which is what I think you want based on your request for "the most capable and generalised armored co army possible."
1. I'm not sure on this one actually. The reason being I would never use it. See below.
2. Yes it is worth it. The important thing to realize is that in an AC, you will have many battlecannons. While their AP3 gives them a reputation as a marine killer, remember that they are just as good against other, lesser types of infantry (wound on 2+, no save). However, the one thing an AC will lack is the ability to deal with 2+ save nasties, such as hive tyrants and terminators. With improved sponsons using plasma cannons and hull lascannons on your basic russes, you have a much better ability to deal with 2+ nasties.
3. Not really. AC is a shooting list, and for the points you pay out for those doctrines you could probably afford another Russ. Remember, moving your russes causes your ordinance to scatter 2D6" picking the highest. This also comes back to your question about pintle mounts. Vanquishers are too expensive for what they do (hull lascannon does the job well enough) and conquerors really don't have a purpose anymore as everything in the list can now move and shoot. Additionally, the puny amount of firepower of a stubber/storm bolter compared with what else you could get is not the 10/12 points paid for a pintle mount. I'd rather have a set of plasma cannon sponsons than 2 heavy stubbers.
4. Basic Leman Russ. Remember that the battlecannon is just as good against most other types of infantry as it is against marines. Horde armies will be hard pressed to space out their models enough to avoid having just as many (if not more) casualties inflicted as heavy bolters would do.
5. I'd suggest a mob of russes (command tank, 2 tank aces, 4-6 troops russes), all with hull lascannons and sponson plasmas, and 3 demolishers with the same. Cheap vehicle upgrades as you see fit.
Last edited by General Nuke Em; April 6th, 2005 at 09:12.
<a href='http://generalnukeem.hwcommunity.com' target='_blank'><img src='http://generalnukeem.hwcommunity.com/revalation346x173.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' /></a>
I just realized that I forgot to number a question, DOH!
anywho #6: What is the best way of making the most capable and generalised armored co army possible? I was thinking 2 or 3 armored fist squads(1sentinel squad if i take 2 armored fists) 2 stormtroopers squads but im not sure on what weapons or tank types would be good against infantry... advice/ suggestions
anyone at all?
come on why wont anyone reply, throw me a bone here!!!!
oh and bump bumpity bump bump bump
BUMPBUMP BUMP BUMP
That sums up your basic all around list.Originally Posted by General Nuke Em
EDIT: While taking Armored First squads will give you some flexibility (especially in objective based games) 20 - 30 guardsmen wont last very long. Sentinels (while I maintain they are cool) cant cut it with their low armor value and can even be taken down in close combat by the basic troops of some armies.
Last edited by GuardinGnome; April 8th, 2005 at 02:50.
I am the Aquila-Guerilla!
hmmmmm......... what about kroot mercs in there instead of the usual guardsmen? or maybe make something using the creature creation rules?
*shrug* Theres a million possiblilities, welcome to the Guard.
My suggestion is to try everything at least once (preferrably in friendly games) and then decided what you like best and go with it.
I am the Aquila-Guerilla!