Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I have an upcoming battle tomorrow against a 1500 tau army. never played tau before so anyone have any tips on what to expect are greatly appreciated. not sure what he's taking. i typically field a 9 strong GK GM and GKT retinue that DS, a FA GK, GK troops, and sister allies. Read the tau codex for the first time yesterday and understand that they are a shooty army. I was thinking of breaking up my 9 strong termies into 2 smaller squads DS (5 and 4) along with the FA GK. I thought that this might allow me to choke off ooprotunites for him to shoot and run, and give at least one squad a chance of getting into CC fast (provided i roll ok on the DS). Thoughts??
Tau are my main army. I tell you if you were fighting me you'd be screwed. Problem is, Tau have too many high strength guns (only so many low AP guns, though), and GK just have that monster pt cost per wound. We can just throw enough str 5 shots at you that you'll fail more than enough saves to make it worth our while.
Strangely, your major advantage might lie with the sisters. Oddly, other shooty armies are the bane of Tau. Y'see, Tau just don't care about assault. We're so bad at it. Khorne love to regale me with how many attacks each of their guys has and so forth, and I just don't care. As soon as he succesfully charges a unit, I've written it off anyway. The only odds I try to figure are if I can kill the enemy before they reach me, that's all I figure on. The more assaulty an army is, the less shooty they are, and that's better for me.
Unless they're fast, like tyranids. Then I get worried, a little. But GK are NOT fast.
So, you got sisters to shoot up the Tau, which is good. We only have so much AP3 weaponry, and we're prolly using it on the the GK. You also have shrouding, which is ok, but not great. 3D6x3 Average sight range will be 31.5 in. That's just about where our sweet spot starts, anyway, we don't have that many really long range weapons, actually.
Don't deep strike, unless you do on the other side of cover. Anything you DS with in fir range won't survive to the next turn, I promise you.
Don't take dreanaughts. POOF!
Don't take Landraiders. Them and Monoliths are a Railguns natural prey. Crusader might be ok if you had like 2 or 3, but that's stupid.
Do take an Orbital Bombardment. Tau are prone to camp, and that'll really break up their lines if you bombard their side of the board. I reccomend the Melta bombs, that'll kill everything Tau have except broadsides.
Take whatever anti-tank reasorces sisters got, cuz I just told you not to take all the GK anti-tank options.
Shooty inquistor and ST would be a good idea, too.
Thanks for the advice. i also found Megalo's tactica in the Tau army section. I intend to take orbital bombardment and have a shooty inquisitor with a psycannon and 2 sages, and a multimelta (or plasma..havent decided yet). I was intending to DS the knights behind his lines and hopefully get the sisters in position to catch him in crossfire when the knights arrive. As i said i've never played this army before and never even read the codex ( now i find out there are like 5 tau players in our area) so my best laid plans will probably go to hell but it should be fun
If you plan on playing a lot of Tau, buying several crusaders might actually work, then. Wicked expensive, in a all ways, but they won't be able to take them all out, and then it'll be assaulty joy joy.
Fun, but stupid, cuz next time you play him, all he has to do is go mech and it's no fun for you.
*blinks* I have a tactica in the Tau forum?i also found Megalo's tactica in the Tau army section.
I'd advise on getting a shooty inquisitor (simply elite inquisitor w/ psycannon, and give him a retinue of 2 sages, 1 mystic, and 3 gun servs w/ heavy bolters). ap4 weapons means they can go through fire warriors and gun drones, and if you have to go through shield drones, shoot with psycannon first. they lose invul save, and go splat, while you laugh.Originally Posted by bccorin
crossfire tactics can work well against tau if all goes well. they are good at shooting, but most of your guys are 3+ save. However it's important that the SoB live long enuf to commence fire w/ their real guns, and if all the GKs are gonna DS, than the SoB are gonna be their first targets.....
When the GKs arrive, charge up on both sides (unless the SoB are about 24" away. that way all their guns go into the fray). if they lose room, they lose advantages. just be careful of double shots from their rapid fires.
one last thing. you might want to give some of those SoBs a multi melta. Hammerheads will hurt like hell (damn you railguns!), and GKs dunt have much in anti tank... (once brought down a devil fish with a psycannon, but that's not as armored..)
Last edited by Dorhnkurk; April 8th, 2005 at 19:32.
'tis true. GK have the pleasant distinction of being about the only troop choice worth wasting a Railgun shot on.
Also, taking a cheap platoon of indroctinated Imperial Guard just for a chance to get a few 9-wound Lascannons might not be a bad idea.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.
Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.
Megalo, in the Tau army section you asked some tau players to critique a 1500 pt GK list (which turned out to be your army at the time) which several tau players did critique and then there was some back and forth that was really helpful (i think the post was back in late 2003). Not actual tactica per se but it was all about tactics so it was helpful.
Well i won today in what was officially my 10th 40k game! We played 1400 pts (all he had) and i won for several reasons:
(1) The sisters: Prometheus you were right they were an advantage and did damage at rapid fire. I kept them out of sight until the GKT arrived and ran them up one side of the field. The other side had orbital bombardment and once he knew that he stayed away and got caught in a cross fire with the sisters, and termies and shooty inquisitor
(2) The Mission: The mission was take and hold which forced him to move some of his units towards the center of the field. He infiltrated his stealth unit near the take and hold which was promptly killed by my callidus (180 points gone...ouch!).
(3) My Movement: I finally am starting to learn the improtance of movement. I really didnt move anything the first turn. Then when the termies arrived i moved my sisters and ran them up the side as dohnkurk suggested. The termies deep struck in his deployment zone near center (in cover), the FA deepstruck near the termies and he was trapped.
(4) The terminators: Well i learned what the Tau firepower can do to terminator armor when its enmasse. I was down to my GM in the end. Actually before i was able to assault he took out 6 out of 9 (poor rolling, good shooting), but the remaining 3 assaulted out of cover and brutally killed his commander and battlesuits and 2 broadside (Kill, consolidate d6 right into combat on 3 straight turns). It was a real key because he almost stop focusing on the objective, tied up his army and by turn 5 my sisters and 2 units of PAGK were at the take and hold, while the terminators were munching through everything else. He was so frustrated that i have to admit i actually had sadistic pleasure as 3 terminators went through his army. but if he moved he was going to be in rapid fire range (sisters), psycannon range (shooty inquisitor, pagk) and stormbolters.
(5) His inexperience/army list: I have to acknowledge that this was his 10th game with Tau (he normally plays dark eldar), and he had 2 pathfinders on the field one whic he didnt need, but he didnt have enough troops to fill slots so he added the transports. I blew them both up with psycannons (lucky me). If he filled that with more troops i might have been writing about what went wrong.
anyway thanks for the help. i actually like tau so much now i bought the codex.