Librarium Online Forums banner

Can GK mix allies?

966 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  helotaxi 
#1 ·
I read through the codex last night, and my memory is failing me at the moment. So, I am curious to know if I could field both SM and Imp. together in my DH army I have yet to create. (i.e. I want to have a squad of DA:SM AND a squad of Steel Legion Guard in my army) Is this possible?

#3 ·
Sir Fragalot said:
no you can not do that
I thought that anyone associated with the Ordo Malleus could incorporate any Imperial or Adepts he found into his party (including SMs and Guard). The rules say that I have to take the compulsary choices out of the codex, then I can have other units which either choose to join the DH or are forced to do so.

So, I could (for instance) have an Inquisitor Lord, his band (retinue, whatever you call it), two squads of GK, a squad of Imp Guard, and a squad of SM's.

Am I way out in right field here? Please explain more than "no you can not do that" as that doesn't exactly tell me WHY I cannot do that.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
simply no. the rules specifically state that you can not mix both space marine and imperial guard inductees. it's either one or the other, but not both.

Furthermore, to maintain their secrecy from the space marines (as fluff would have it), if you induct space marines, you CANNOT have Grey Knights. If you want marines and GKs together, you have to have a space marine army and induct daemonhunters. However, inducting the guard still allows you to field GKs.

#6 ·
Dorhnkurk is completely right on all accounts.

Another note of interest - you mentioned wanting DA and Steel Legion in your army - you cannot use special chapters of SM or special regiments of IG as your inducted forces. Only vanilla types allowed - therefore, no doctrines (IG) and no traits (SM). You can, of course, use the MODELS (if someone owns a Space Wolves army and starts a DH army, no one expects them to go buy vanilla SM models to use as allies!), but no special rules, doctrines, traits, chapter-specific units, special characters, etc.

#8 ·
For a Space Marine to be able to use its chapter traits will require it to take DH as allies, not the other way 'round. Any inducted Marine or Guard is automatically just a normal soldier, with no distinction whatsoever.

#9 ·
That sounds a bit stupid that you can't use traits etc. I don't remember it saying that in the Codex anyway.
It doesn't specifically SAY traits, because the new SM codex wasn't out yet, but: "When using Allied or Inducted troops, only the basic versions of these troop types published in the appropriate codex can be used. No variants of any kind can be incorporated." (page 21, DH codex). And before anyone tries to say that it doesn't specifically SAY traits or doctrines, I'd like to ask what a variant IG or SM list *IS* other than traits or doctrines.

#11 ·
mEGALOMANIAC said:
It doesn't specifically SAY traits, because the new SM codex wasn't out yet, but: "When using Allied or Inducted troops, only the basic versions of these troop types published in the appropriate codex can be used. No variants of any kind can be incorporated." (page 21, DH codex). And before anyone tries to say that it doesn't specifically SAY traits or doctrines, I'd like to ask what a variant IG or SM list *IS* other than traits or doctrines.

Yeah it is not possibly to gain the traits nor doctorines.

the GW IAL program will not allow it, and it has been recently updated.

It is a little too much combos and variations to the imperium if given taht chance...

The only triple combinations would be

WH INDUCT SM or IG WITH GK ALLIES

GK INDUCT SM or IG WITH WH ALLIES

or

SM + GK or WH allies

IG + GK or WH allies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.