Librarium Online Forums banner

Wanted to ask a question....

818 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  AlexDagger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I want to start my own army, I've been using my brother's Aspect Eldar and I find them frustrating due the Eldar strategie. I mainly want to play a 'get in your face' army that's slightly more shooty and slightly less assault. I'm currently testing a 1200 pt SM army:

HQ: Commander (Jumppack,PW,BP)
Elites: Dreadnought (AC,DCCW)
Troops:3 Tac squads and 3 Rhinos
Fast Attack: Scout Bikes
Heavy Support: Destructor(Autocannon,HB Sponsons)

Not being to specific because I want to get a general Idea.

The definition of "'get in your face" as I see it is this: Get close to the enemy to SHOOT nad only ASSAULT if I have to. I hope that clear!

This list is made using the old SM codex cause I'm not going to spend 30$ on a codex I might not use.

And if the SM don't fit the 'get in your face' idea well is there anougher army that would do it well??? I was told Ork Speed freks.....

Alex

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Dude... ya kinda need the new codex. If you want to play any official tourneys, or even tourneys at the local Rogue Trader, you'll need up-to-date rules. There are major differences between the old one and the new one, I kid you not. It costs twenty US dollars, not thirty. And if you want to post an army list, there's a forum for that and an approved format in which to compose it for easy critique.

Welcome to our noble hobby, and we all hope you have fun here. After all, that is the most important rule of the game. Think I'm kidding? Check page 5 of the BGB, under "The Most Important Rule."

#3 ·
I'm not going ot commit 30$ Canadian until I get a better Idea if the army will suit my purposes. And I'm not having fun reading all the USELESS post I'm getting back, First nobody answers, then when they do they don't understand, whish is understanable, so then I clearify and then the don't answer, and Now I'm trying again and its all starting over.

I KNOW there differences in the codexes, I'm not stupid as you imply. I'm not posting an army list, I'm trying to get help in choosing my army, I don't wanna dive in headfirst if I'm not playing an army I enjoy. I'm NOT posting an army list. RIGHT NOW I'M PLAY-TESTING this list and so far it seems to work. I'm not about to go to a GW tourney and use the old codex, I'M NOT STUPID! I'm not new to the hobby, I'm not some stupid n00b who can't figure out the rules yet! I can't have FUN till you guys actually HELP me out! Why is it some people look at ont part of the post then for a responce out of that??? "And if the SM don't fit the 'get in your face' idea well is there anougher army that would do it well??? I was told Ork Speed freks....." Did you NOT read this or what? I just want some Idea as to where to take my 'Get in your face' Army so I can have FUN with it!

*sigh* Damn temper... now I'm not going to change this cause I think it makes a point. If your going to spend the time formulating a responce at least try to answer the question asked in the original post or what ever, don't post something "off-topic".

I hope I haven't hurt any peeps feeling or anything, I just get on a rant and don't stop....

Alex

#4 ·
you could try the tactic i use to "get in their face", i have the trait which lets you infiltrate your tacical squads and devestater squads, so i would reccomend dropping the rhinos and for 30 points for 10 men you could start off at the enemy, i just sit there shooting after that

#5 ·
I would think that that much power that close would do a few things,

A) vunerable to assault by CC troops
B) can be dangerously close to tanks and other short range nightmares
C) it just seems very...inflexible to me....

Alex

#6 ·
AlexDagger said:
I want to start my own army, I've been using my brother's Aspect Eldar and I find them frustrating due the Eldar strategie. I mainly want to play a 'get in your face' army that's slightly more shooty and slightly less assault. I'm currently testing a 1200 pt SM army:
SM are generally very versatile, so you have many choices how to play them, esp. with the new codex. imho they fit quite good in your 'get in your face' strategie.

AlexDagger said:
HQ: Commander (Jumppack,PW,BP)
Elites: Dreadnought (AC,DCCW)
Troops:3 Tac squads and 3 Rhinos
Fast Attack: Scout Bikes
Heavy Support: Destructor(Autocannon,HB Sponsons)

Not being to specific because I want to get a general Idea.
Sounds not to bad, just some little advices:
Don´t use a jumppack for the commander if u havn´t any assault squads, nor want to assault.
U could use razorbacks instead of the Rhinos, to get a little more shootyness.
Scout bike are also better suited for assaulting, u might try a dev squad instead.

AlexDagger said:
And if the SM don't fit the 'get in your face' idea well is there anougher army that would do it well??? I was told Ork Speed freks.....
Imho orks are no option if u wanna be shooty, to low BS.
Necros might fit in your idea quite well, but they are rather boaring (cheesy) to play.
Another option may be Dark eldar with their Assault 4 weapons, but they have not as much CC power.

#7 ·
Well, I'm sorry for not being very specific in my previous post. If it helps, Speed Freaks are good at getting "In Your Face," better than Marines anyway. Another army that excels at that are the Dark Eldar, the most mobile race in the game. Their open-topped Raiders can be on your doorstep and right in your lines before turn three. They kind of have to be, since the longest range on their weapons is 36". If you're just starting out, I wouldn't recommend the Dark Eldar. They require a very precise and skilled hand to use because of their weak armor and lack of numbers.

If you want to go the Space Marines route, your HQ needs some tweaking. He has a jump pack, but no Assault Squad to join. Without a squad to join and use as a meat shield against shooting, he will fall pretty quickly and you will have just lost 96 points without him earning any of it back. I'd recommend replacing the Captain (that is what he would be in the new codex) with a Reclusiarch (a Chaplain like in the old codex, only a bit more expensive) on a bike with a bolt pistol and terminator honors. This way, you can ride him with the Scout bikers. Under the new rules for Chaplains, they and any squad they join or are attached to are fearless and more effective on the charge than before. If you can, try replacing the Predator Destructor with an Annihilator with lascannon sponsons or putting a twin-linked lascannon and missle launcher on that Dreadnought. This will add some much needed anti-tank firepower to your force. I'd also recommend a Land Speeder Tornado taken as it is. It'll put out a heinous amount of shots on enemy infantry.

I have nothing against Rhinos, but just about every APC is vulnerable to any concentrated weapons fire. The new rules for entanglement make the strategy you suggest a lot more dangerous unless you play with a lot of terrain that blocks line-of-sight to tanks, which is rare. I find APCs to be too easy to open up with any weapon that can get even a glance, so I personally don't use them. Problem is, I can't really direct you to a mechanized Space Marines tactics article without violating forum protocol, not even over private massages. I am sorry I cannot be of any more help.

#8 ·
Thx guys

The reason I gave the commander a JP is so that he can keep up with the rhinos and then assault a unit. And as far as i can tell they can only shoot at him as long if hes the closest target....but I may be wrong. Again, if you don't think this kind of army will be fun to play or won't play effectively then please direct me to the right army, I'll look more into speed freeks today as I might be going to my games store....

Alex

#9 · (Edited)
Well, the new codex has traits so you can make your own custom chapters, but it you want one ready made and your gaming buddies are willing to go along with it, I'd recommend the White Scars. You can find their special rules (which do not apply according to the new codex) in the Index Astartes. There are three Index Astartes, but the first one is all you need in addition to your current codex. As long as your buddies approve the usage of those rules, it should be all good. You don't need the current codex for house rules, which sounds like the cheapest solution to your problem.

By the way, under Fourth Edition rules the type of screen you suggest is no longer a viable option. The enemy doesn't even need to make a leadership check to target the closest Rhino. Just point, shoot, and boom! Dead Rhino.

#11 ·
If there was line of sight to the commander, all that's needed is a leadership check for target priority. It would more than likely succeed, and if the enemy had a large number of weapons that can punch through power armor and/or instakill a Marine (e.g. Eldar) then the commander has no invulnerable save to protect him.

Under Fourth Edition Rules, the only way a Rhino Rush can work is if you take a lot of them. If your assault-oriented, this sucks big time. If you go more toward the shot-in-the-face deal, then you'd have to do a lot of damage in order to survive the retaliation. Even if you do go this route, there's still that risk that the enemy could blow up the Rhino your ace-in-the-hole is riding in. Against an enemy with superior mobility, they could just flank you and shoot your side/rear armor. Tau would just shoot you to death, period. The number of great tank-busting weapons they have is heinous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.