Drop pod stratagy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop pod stratagy

I decided i wanted to build a drop pod army for fun, i want to start with nothing on the board. Does anyone have effective stratagy for drop pod armys. also i have read about making a wall, what is ment by this stratagy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful where you land!!!!!!! it can be very dangerous landing next to a squad of banshees!!! Sooo, try to get about one charge range away from your enemy, so you can shoot them as you land then assult next turn. :cool:
    ''I AM A BANANA!!!'' -Regected cartoons
    Space marines = AMETURES in big armour!!
    The ANZAC Clan is gonna kick your international ass!!
    http://www.myspace.com/shannonisbig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think what they are talking about when they say "wall" is to divide the enemy forces with a row of DPs, using them to block LOS while you assault the other half. pretty good, but I'e seen it talked about in WD i think so maybe a little expected. I'm trying to hammer out some DP tactics myself for my SW, it seems kinda risky to only drop a few units while leaving the rest to take the brunt of the emey's shooting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Drop Pod Tactics

Hello, following are some drop pod tactics for you:

The so called "Wall":

This tactic uses the drop pods themselves, and the fact that they can be leftf as wrecks when destroyed to form a wall of cover for your incoming troops. Due to scatter roles you rarely end up with a uniform wall, but the last half of the pods that do come in can be easilly placed completely out of line of sight.

This tactic can also be used to engage a portion of your oponents army while protecting yourself from the incoming fire of the rest. The perfect example is an assualt army backed up by a good firebase. Once the assualt portion has moved forward, you drop your pods between it and the firebase. This allows you to be protected from the firebase by the pods themselves and engage only the assault portion. Of course, this requires bait to draw out the assualt portion and wont work with full drop pod forces unless your oponent is dumb or there is something in the center of the battlefield they need to capture.

Land as close as you want and use those 2":

One of the benefits of Drop pods is that even if you scatter onto an oposing unit, your pod will be safe. You reduce the scatter untill it is at a legal place to drop in. This allows you to get very close to enemy squads without fear of loosing yours on the drop. Add to that that there is a 2" deployment zone from the pod and you have a suprising ammount of maneuverability in placing your models. Examples of ways to benefit from this or the Librarien psychic powers of FotA and FotD as well as getting that melta gun in just the right place or ensuring you hit the maximum ammount of models with flame rtemplates. Drop podding squads with melta guns are incredibly lethal to vehicles as you can pretty much guarantee a shot at rear armor with these 2 combined things.

Disembark on the "safe" side of the pod:

Since you may disembark on whatever side of a pod you want its best to gauge your oponents squads and disembark with the pod between you and whatever squad can do you the most damage. A perfect example of this is deploying terminators on the oposite side of a dev squad with lascannons. Even if the pod is destroyed, the lascannons will not have a shot at the termies untill you move around the pod. This allows you to keep your squads safe from that wich can really hurt them while engaging the things they are best suited to destroying.

Insta terrain:

Another variation of the wall tactic, place drop pods in key positions so you can get vehicles up the field with as little return fire as possible. The best way to do this is by expanding on terrain already available as the pod itself is not as large as most vehicles. Still, it does make excellent cover for a lone speeder. Of course, as always, no need of worrying about landing in the terrain as you reduce scatter rolls untill you are safe.

That pretty much somes up how to use drop pods. There are many different ways to use these tactics with various squads and options. Im sure some helpful members will describe what they have found to be effective. This is just a general overview of the tactics involved in drop pods.

Cheers Mate
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread