Monolith - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monolith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just wondering if anybody had a simple solution for getting rid of a monolith. That living metal rule is a real pain in the ass. It seems the only real way to kill it is to shoot it with a strength 8 weapon, roll a 6 to penetrate, and roll a 6 to destroy it.

I know that its really desirable to just ignore it or go around it, but its pretty damn easy for the ***** to put it between the necrons and the sisters. The necrons are good shoots, so the sisters would not like to stay back, but the alternative is charging the near-invincible monolith.

I don't actually play the sisters, it just occurred to me that it woul be tough for them to kill one. I hav enot really kept up on them, so any input would be interesting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exorcist. That should take it out pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno what the Sister's armoury has but something like Tau EMP grenades would work pretty well glance on 4+ penetrate on 6+ (no extra penetration, just straight up roll this, get this result.) I know SM's get something like this (just don't know what it's called), so maybe Sisters get it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Other than Exorcists, not much. Just wet your pants and pray to the corpsegod .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I hear the Haywire Grenades of the eldar and also the singing spear of the eldar... but past that anyting with a s of 8... Rolling to Hit.... rolling a 6 to glance... rolling a 6 to destroy... so anything with a straight up strength greater than 8... and rolling with no tricky stuff.

Even though it is a skimmer, if you get the immobilised result it just floats down to the ground and does not move but can fight and all other functions.

My friend played against me with Iron Warriors... and it took his 3 Heavy Squads with 3 Las Cannons a piece, 3 turns to destroy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

convert basalisks...many of them and pound it as many times as possable....any problem can be solved by the proper application of high explosive...
    The Guardsmen Legions, we fight for the freedom&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No no no. Thre BEST way is to take a squad or two of Dominions with meltas and get them close. Also, give them all melta bombs. To get close, simply screen them or take a Rhino or an Exorcist. Personally, I would use an Immolator (sp?) with a twin-linked multi-melta to carry them, but that&#39;s just me.
    Si em, tow en can de lach.
    Tak&#33; Tak&#33; Tak ah wan, Tak a lah&#33;
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK lets seriously look at this:

Fistly the SoBs have no weapons higher than Str 8 so you are relying on a glance, which means statistically you have to hit the monolith 6 times to kill it without it killing you.

Exorcist - D6 crack missiles, average 3.5 hits, would kill a monolith every other round, on the other hand this is gonna be the target of any HDs in the area and if the monolith can get within 24 inches that particle whip will wipe it out

Justicar pattern Imolator: (TL MM): average of 3 hits in 4 rounds, will kill a monlith on average once every 6 hits, i.e. would take 8 imolators to make it a statistical certainty, necros options as per Exorcist but given the reduced range you are also the target of every necron squad with a gun

Multi metlas, - one hit every other round - you need 12 of these to make it a statistical certainty, mean time that Particle whip ordinance template is hitting on a 3, wounding on a 1 and no save

Metlas: as per multi meltas

I am ignoring the use of a sepephim suicide squad with melta bombs

In short none of the above are a stistical certainty without a real overload on that type of thing, completely unbalancing your army and meaning you are incapable of taking on the rest of the Necron force (8 justicar pattern - not possible, I make 7 the maximum you could get, and that assumes you get first shot?)

So there is no single answer to the question, the only solution is to field a range of these weapons and you will get him on agregation, although if you are depending on melta guns in normal troop squads you are wasting a lot of bolter fire. Equally you are likely to get a pasting from the monolith yourself in the process.

On the other hand, I have to say it is not necessary to destroy the lith to beat necrons, phase out is there for a reason, my basic tactics for beating necrons is to ignore anything that doesnt count towards phase out, although that isnt wise with a monolith, but you can combine the 2, you do not need to destroy the monolith to focus on phase out, stunning it will do nicely, which doubles your chances or halves the amount of weapons
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember Meltas&#39; extra armor pen within half range. (12" for Multi-Meltas.) A Dominion squad armed with them could take out a Monolith without too much trouble, if they&#39;re screened well enough to get close. Plus, their weapons would then be ideal for burning Wraiths to make sure they don&#39;t get up and downing Destroyers and Spyders.
    Si em, tow en can de lach.
    Tak&#33; Tak&#33; Tak ah wan, Tak a lah&#33;
    Mi tow, can de lach.
    Mi him, en tow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this isnt relevant to sisters but Id say a Vindicator if you play SM, strength ten, all you need to do is hide it and when the monolith comes round the corner place an expandable squad infront of the Vindi on the side its coming from (or both if your playing a large battle. The blast it next turn and if at first you dont succeed, try a lascannon Only bad thing is its cannon can only fire 24.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast