Need Advice for 2000 pt league match - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice for 2000 pt league match

I have a 2000 point league match vs Dark Angels. I could really use some help on what to take. He takes lots of land speeders and terminators.

Current Army
    Ultramarines

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What army are you using? What models do you have? How much time do you have before the match? Do you have the money to buy more models if you want a different unit to counter any of his abilities? What tactic do you prefer to use? Answer these things and a good answer you will get.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have heavy weapons then therminators are a piece of cake. Just use weapons with AP 1-2 and they dont get an armor save, just a 5+ invulnerable.
    ...upon your defeat you retreat to the morgue, for maybe you will find a better life amongst the dead...

I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

take (proxie unless its not a friendly game) devastators with plasma cannons. that will fry the termies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Lots and lots of plasma and power weapons. That's all I can say. Take a few dev squads for the landspeeders and whatever anti-armour vehicles you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

For speeders (who have an invulnerable save if you are DA, by the way) the easiest way to take them down is rapid-fire bolter fire. Because they are speeders, your heavy weapons will never penetrate, so long as your opoennt is good. As such, things with high rates of fire as oposed to high strength are definatelly the way to go. Bolter squads, heavy bolters, assault cannons. Those weapons will deal well with the speeders. Dont bother engaging them in close combat, if they have moved, ,you will only hit them on a 6 and only powerfists and thunder hammers have a decent chance of glancing them.

Assault squads are good for hunting speeders. They have enough maneuverability to be able to catch a speeder (or keep it running and not firing) and 10 bolt pistols WILL take down a speeder. I would add the 2 extra plasma pistols just to be sure however. I would upgrade the sergeant with a power fist to give the squad a secondary purpose. Do not send these after termiator squads. The terminators power weapons will make short work of your assault troopers.

As for termies, there is a specific way to deal with them. Yes, you can pack ap2 weapons, but getting them in any sort of abundance is rediculouslly expensive. I would recommend a plasma cannon or 2 in tactical squads though just for when the termies deepstrike. Once they are in though, the best terminator killer I have found is a totally decked out (and I mean TOTALLY) chaplain. Bike for maneuverability and extra toughness, adamamtite mantle so the termies Pfists cant auto kill him, Artificer armor to shrug off storm bolter fire and a thunder hammer to autokill termies with.

What this leaves you with is a 2+/4+ T5 that cant be autokilled, with 6 attacks on the charge, at WS5 that will autokill most oponents and stun any it doesnt autokill and that re-rolls all misess. As far as killing terminators go, he does it best. As the terminators are fearless, you need not worry about them running and leaving you in the cold. Many people will tell you that tooling up an hq like this is a bad idea. In general tooling up hq's IS a bad idea. But when you spend your points on defensive measures, the HQ becomes much more resilient and hence his greater point value is countered by the fact that he will last much longer in battle.

If you have the points. A bike squad would go well with him. Powerfist on the sergeant, as well as a combat shield, he will need it against the termies. 2 melta guns on the bikers wouldnt hurt either as you will be able to fire them right before charging in. This tactic works best on the first terminator group, obviouslly, as you have the meltaguns at first and can devote wounds (read autokills) to the lesser models in the squad. Be careful not to get this unit shot up. Also, keeping them back would be a good idea as you need them around to counter any deepstriking termies.

If the terminators are walking up the field, be sure to get them into the sights of the 1 or 2 plasma cannons you will take as well as the requisite 2 lascannons. I would suggest 4 tactical squads. 2 lascannons and 2 plasma cannons.

If the terminators are assault terminators, merelly shoot them and move backwards. Concentrate fire if need be, you do not want them making it to your lines. Cutting them down before hand is not difficult and is the most expedient way to deal with them.

If your feeling dangerous, I might even suggest attaching a second HQ unit to the bike squad. Be careful however, as this model will not have a mantle or halo. A librarien with Veil of time and a storm shield would be good as the re-rollable 4+ save may just keep him alive. Still, thats quite a gamble and I wouldnt really recommend it.

Last but not least, a vindicator would be handy. Not so much for killing termies (although it is marvelous at that) but for keeping deepstriking terminators far away from you. No one in their right mind will deepstrike terminators in firing range of a vindicator.

Good Luck!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it would be cheaper pts wise to put lascannons in the tactical squads and heavy bolters in the devastator squads.
    ...upon your defeat you retreat to the morgue, for maybe you will find a better life amongst the dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Chaosbrynn is a genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another idea to stop termies is have your own. Try and weaken them down with shooting,lascannons ect(as already said). And shoot them with your assault cannons on your termies. And once their weakened down enough assault them with terminators.

Space Wolves- 4,000 pts
    Tau- 500pts
    Dwarves in progress

+ Reply to Thread