Librarium Online Forums banner

To get Doctrines or no?

949 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Tomjoad 
#1 ·
hey,

I was wondering if it is any good to get doctrines?I keep looking but none of them seem to be that great. i dont know what to do, choose one or just not get them. Please respond and tell me which ones I should get.

#2 ·
It depends what style of game you want to play.
If your going a tank-heavy army, dont bother.
If any of the doc's appeal to you, then take them, if you dont like them then dont take them.

I would reccomend play-testing with them a bit though.

#4 ·
Well in my mind I really like them they turn a Imperial Guard army into a special one like mine which has Iron dicipline, Carapace armour, and drop troopsand flavored it in a Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil (Also I got tired of seeing the normal guard army, my men get a save against my main opponents guns of his troops which are Tau). So yeah I think they are good. :)

#5 ·
They make Guard more fun and interesting. Honestly, Guardsmen stink. They are cheap, but they are also the lousiest soldiers this side of gretchin. How to make them fun and exciting? Either play armoured company, use Codex: Catachan or use doctrines.

Unless you plan on using more than four of the restricted troops, though, you should take at least one. Just take Iron Discipline and buy back four troops and they'll be worth it.

#6 ·
My army uses Carapace Armor, Grenadiers, Storm Troopers, Drop Troops and Veterans-I don't need, or do, take any standard Guardsmen at all (Well, aside from the 4 in the Command Squad). I use 2 Storm Troopers as Troops, 2 Hardened Veterans as Elites and misc tanks to round it out.

#7 ·
Like previously said, make sure you try them out for your style of play, but I wouldn't play without them. Some are free, so why not.

I recommend, Cameoline ( against shooty armies ), Close order drill, Veterans ( why not have three squads of BS 4 Troops ), Iron Discipline, and I like Grenadiers but that is a bit controversial. Light Infantry can be good as well.

Cheers!

#8 ·
Diggums Hammer said:
Like previously said, make sure you try them out for your style of play, but I wouldn't play without them. Some are free, so why not.

I recommend, Cameoline ( against shooty armies ), Close order drill, Veterans ( why not have three squads of BS 4 Troops ), Iron Discipline, and I like Grenadiers but that is a bit controversial. Light Infantry can be good as well.

Cheers!
Grenadiers, contraversial? They lare the cheapest way to get a troop choice, nothing bad can be said about them. You forgot DT though, and SS.

#11 ·
revin said:
Grenadiers, contraversial? They lare the cheapest way to get a troop choice, nothing bad can be said about them.
Some folks say that ST aren't worth thier points, and that you're better off with an extra infantry squad or two. Now, I think those people are nuts and I use a squad or two of grenadiers every game, but they are allowed thier opinions.

edit: Except in an SoB army, where ST are really a total waste (since they are only one point more than a stormie).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.