Hidden Powerfists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hidden Powerfists

We all know that the SMurfs love their hidden powerfists, well my question is how effective people think they are for IG armies. Remember that ours are lower strength, and we have fewer methods to take them: available to Hardened Vet Sergeants, Commissars, and Priests (eviscerators). Given how expensive they are, are they worth the points? Regardless of whether they are worth it, they certainly seem to be the only way to make guard into a credible close comabt force, not in the "we're going to assault" way but rather in the "I dare you to come get us" fashion.

So what do you each think? Would you use them? If so, in what way?

Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revin
    We all know that the SMurfs love their hidden powerfists, well my question is how effective people think they are for IG armies. Remember that ours are lower strength, and we have fewer methods to take them: available to Hardened Vet Sergeants, Commissars, and Priests (eviscerators). Given how expensive they are, are they worth the points? Regardless of whether they are worth it, they certainly seem to be the only way to make guard into a credible close comabt force, not in the "we're going to assault" way but rather in the "I dare you to come get us" fashion.

So what do you each think? Would you use them? If so, in what way?
    What I am about to say won't help much, but SMs aren't the only ones. I use spiky bits, and a MC'd PF on every AspChamp in my BL army. Works charms when combined with demonic gifts.

I would personally say they are not worth the points in an IG army though, unless you plan on getting into close combat frequently. I have been under the impression that IG are VERY much a shooty army, and CC is not the place you want them to end up.
    ~the machine god

{secretly the machine god plays Tau and CSM ...shhhh...don't tell the adepts!!!}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mechanicus
    What I am about to say won't help much, but SMs aren't the only ones. I use spiky bits, and a MC'd PF on every AspChamp in my BL army. Works charms when combined with demonic gifts.
    Both Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are not human and must be destroyed for the Xeno they are.

I would personally say they are not worth the points in an IG army though, unless you plan on getting into close combat frequently. I have been under the impression that IG are VERY much a shooty army, and CC is not the place you want them to end up.
    It's not that you want to get them into CC, it's that the enemy wants to get them into CC, os they tend to get into CC.. especially when the choice is between falling back and being charged anyways, or standing ground and taking some extra shots with the heavy weapon.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by revin
    Both Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines are not human and must be destroyed for the Xeno they are
    What are you talking about? Sm aren't xenos at all, and CSm, same story, but they are heretics, mutants, and daemons.

Towards the question: For the points, I wouln't take them, as ig suck at cc almost as much as tau. maybe give them to your commander, and squads such as storm troopers and armored first units that will be getting up in the enemies face more often.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

if i'm trying to win, i leave the overpriced Pfists at the base.

but if i wanna have some fun then i take my tooled out Vet squads w/ a Pfist and all the fixin's.

i've actually seen a vet squad w/ Pfist catch players off guard! i've even seen a Vet squad beat a SM vet squad in CC!! (dice gods were mad at the SM player).

i just can't believe that darn Pfist is sooo expensive!!!!!! i mean SMs pay less for them! WTF!!

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Me too.

I play WH and we have the same prob as you gaurd guys : base strength of 3. I usually my powerfist equivellant (eviscarator) at the ship becasue with WH you have dedicated assault units, and there is no point giving it to a sqaud leader, "just in case they get charged". For 20 points and maybe 2 extra enemis dead, its not really that usefull. I belive its the same with Gaurd. Better to spend points on what your strength is (for me medium range weapons) than waste points on somthing that could be spent on a ( for example) a missile launcher. It will take down more enemies in the long run.

Cheers!

Yossanrion
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT
    i just can't believe that darn Pfist is sooo expensive!!!!!! i mean SMs pay less for them! WTF!!
    Yeah it is pretty damn strange... powerfists can be effective but alot of factors has to be right in order for that to happen, like a 6 man tactical squad getting charged by a tooled up commandsquad or perhaps a countercharge against assault marines. Against tau they are golden (if you get into CC that is...) most often you will end up with bullets riddeling your corpse if you try to pull that string with tau.

Once my commandsquad with a commisar and a heroic senior officer killed 800 pts of guard and tau in 3 turns that's pretty impressive for an overpriced squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I've found the best way to use them, also I only do this for fluff/fun is to take Grenadiers doctorine, have a Commissar in the HQ, and then a Commissar w/ Power Fist in the Grenadier Squads. Also give the Vet Seargent a Power sword. The Grenadier Squads are expensive, but effective at shooting, and with hidden fist, do nicely against all but tooled CC squads. One of the squads can have Vet Sgt with Honorifica Imp. That squad popping out of Chimera Rocks for CC ( comparitivly speaking ).
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don''t agree at all with power weapons on on sergeants (or any guard for that matter), guard str is way too low for it to be effective, and chances are you will be going last anyways. That's the thinking that brought me to considering power fists. I'm thinking of employing them just so that when the enemy models are within charge range I can sit and shoot without worrying about the assault that wil be coming next round, in that i'll have taken 2 rounds of shooting on any slow squads sufficiently depleting their numbers to the point where that hidden powerfist is a death sentence. I'v had it work well before (using MC powerfists on LC heavy weapon sub-units for entertainment purposes), but only considered it again after re-reading the Hardened Vets entry. The 35 points it takes (Fist plus some combat multiplier, either MC or HF) seems worthwhile to allow the peace of mind regarding being charged, and for army construction it is good to remember that these would be infiltrators and thus your front line would be a rock that the enemy can smash itself against while the infantry platoon can ignore the charges because they are taken care of (at the very least the enemy assaulters will be insufficient in number to continue being a credible threat to the rest of the army). Stormtrooper (or Grenadiers) is another good way to take it.. although it's costly due to the commissar and advisor requirements, but with their lack of heavy weapons they would be free to advance to rapidfire range with their plasmaguns, pop off their shots, and then sit in front of the army daring them to charge (of course being positioned so that only the unit they attacked would be able to strike back.. if they ran into 4 squads that would just be a losing tactic). I guess it is also possible to charge with the powerfist, but the only assault weapons that I would use (grenade launchers) have sufficient range that you don't need this close combat protection. Really I just see it as an investment in keeping the fight in the style that guard is most successful at, standing and shooting.

I wouldn't put powerfists with any of the other choices though.. not in command squads (insufficient numbers), infantry squads (too vulnerable) or AF (same problem as normal infantry). I like the idea of mounting them though, but this is already extremely expensive to do, and finding points for Chimera could cut down on the ability to take heavies or fill out the troops properly, and would be uneccessary on infiltrators like vets.

+ Reply to Thread