Using Daemonhosts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Daemonhosts

I know most DH armies are GK-based, but I was wondering how to go about building an Excommunicate Traitoris Inquisitorial army using these badies, but I have a couple questions:

Daemonhosts and Adepta Sororitas:
    Since the restriction on Grey Knights nixes all the best parts of the DH codex, I thought it would make more sense to field a Witch Hunters army and have the Daemonhosts as an Allied Elite choice. Is this fine? I didn't catch any restriction on having Sisters of Battle and Daemonhosts in the same army, but I want to make sure I understand how allies/inductions work.

Also, more generally, has anyone here ever used or seen Daemonhosts in a DH army or elsewhere, and if so, what was the rest of the army like?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member taint_of_the_dark_ones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Radical DH armies have great potential with inducted guard. I use a radical DH army, and they can be very effective on the battlefield because of their uniqueness. The daemonhosts are mad units that do horrendous amounts of damage on the charge, and can be very difficult to take down.

A good all round radical DH list involves an inquisitor lord and retinue, inquisitor and retinue, 2 inquisitorial storm trooper units mounted in chimeras, and inducted guard platoons and tanks. You leave the cc assaults to the daemonhosts and inquisitors, provide close range fire with the inquisitorial storm troopers, and use the guard to take out units at range. I have won tournaments with this list, as it realy surprises the enemy, making them choose what the priority target is.

I think your induction assumptions are correct, but I do't have my codex on me so I can't be sure. The sisters don't realy need them though, when they have sisters repentia, penitent engines, and arco flagellants to handle cc, backed up by seraphim and a cannoness's retinue. Just my oppinion,
    Taint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

No, there is no restriction on combining Daemonhosts and SoB in the same army. Go for it.

I'd agree that a DH/IG army is more appropriate for a traitor force - SoB are rather fanatical in their loyalty, and despite that one horrid book "Grey Knight", I don't know of any other place where SoB units turned traitor. Plus, IG/DH compliment each other nicely. Like taint said, a WH army can handle CC just fine. But a Guard army has a harder time - and a couple of Daemonhosts and a tooled Inquisitor Lord help a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deamonhosts are CC monsters...Evil things I tell ya.

If I were to go for it, I'd probably throw in an Eversor...simply because I can.

Lots of bodies in the guard, some heavy long range firepower from the tanks and the eversor + deamonhosts rip up CC...Personally I feel that inquisitors should stay away from CC...seeing as they're mainly like guardsmen with a temper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

That may be true, but with the right mix of retinue units, they can realy own in cc. I've seen complete retinue's rip through an entire tank company before finaly going down to a couple of pie plates. They also act as great shock troops, softening the target for a daemonhost charge. Also, on the Eversor assasin, it's very unfluffy to use them. They are mentaly trained to resist becoming the tool of a radical inquisitor, although death cult assassins are an ok choice.
    Taint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfluffy? Yeah...most likely. Brutally effective? Oh yeah. Really a matter of personal opinion

If you went with a CC inquisitor I'm sure it'd still be effective. I'm too used to deamonprinces and such to put it in a correct perspective I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Daemonprinces get owned in cc by the right choice of inquisitor and retinue. cc servitors with powerfists and storm shields absorb the blows while the inquisitors thunderhammer does the rest, and they are also cheaper then a fully tooled up DP.

On the note of the assassins, every army I have collected has been themed to incorporate the history of the game. I find it much more rewarding to win with an army that doesn't contain all the powerplay units, then with a list with every tough unit there is. Cheers,
    Taint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ty

Wow, thanks alot for all the responses. This'll be my first Warhammer army, so it's great to have the help (although I've been reading codexes and planning for months as I've struggled to come up with the requisite ideas and funds).

Fluff-wise, my idea for the traitor SoB's is that they've fallen prey to a radical interpretation of the Emporer's chruch, which this inquistor advocated long before he started collecting demonic souls. The philosophy of this cult is that mortal sins are practically inevitable in this world, they're just too numerous and too fun, so the only reliable way to salvation is death in battle and even then it only takes one particularly sinful thought to damn you forever. As a result, their senior members are stuck in a state of terrified paranoia that makes them rather easy to manipulate (their fanaticism of their SoB's is akin to sisters repentia).

However, damnation does not excuse you from the emporer's service. The rogue Inquisitor's sacrifice is considered greatest since any fool can give his life for the emporer, but he knowingly damns his soul to better serve the imperium.

The guys I'm doing a campaign with are all DnD freaks, so the fluff aspect of the armies is important, but I find it complements the strategic end. Story considerations can focus your strategic direction, but strategically powerful, though odd, unit combinations can provide artistic inspiration.

Strategy-wise, the problem I kept running into in developing a WH army was how to get all my melee/mid-range units into combat without being blown to peices first, and the daemonhosts should provide sufficient distraction.

+ Reply to Thread