Input on custom Special Character - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Input on custom Special Character

Ok, I normally play puritan/pure GK DH armies. I have had some fun with Daemonhosts. A friend of mine (my usual opponent) suggested I create a special character allowing more Daemonhosts (he think's their fun to play against). So, I made up some rules. I'd like some criticism. I want the character to be fair and not too powerful, but a typical special character (about as powerful as the ones in the DH & WH codexes anyway). My friend doesn't care, he said he'll play against whatever, but I'd rather have the character fairly balanced.

So, with that said, here he is:

INQUISITOR LORD OCTAVIUS GRAVAS

Points WS BS .S .T .W . I . A . Ld . Sv
    185 . . 4 . 4 . 3 . 3 . 3 . 5 . 3 . 10 . 2+/5+

Special Character: Any Daemonhunters army of 1500 points or more may include Inquisitor Lord Octavius Gravas as a special character. If you decide to take him then he counts as one of the HQ choices for the army and must be used exactly as described below. He may not be given any additional equipment from the Daemonhunters armory, nor may he take any henchmen. However, he has bent his will to control Daemons for his uses (see Host of Gravas) Note: As an extremely radical inquisitor, an army including Octavius Gravas cannot include any Grey Knights.

Equipment: Bolt Pistol, Blessed Daemonhammer (see below), articifer armor, refractor field, Grimoire of True Names

Psychic Powers: Gravas is a powerful psyker, and can use the Bind Daemon (see below), and Absorb the Warp (see below) powers

Bind Daemon psychic power: In his shooting phase, instead of shooting, Gravas may attempt to bind any one unit of daemons (as designated in DH codex) within 18�. As Gravas is sensitive to the psychic emanations of the daemons, the power does not require LOS. If he passes his psychic test, both players roll a d6+Ld. If Gravas wins, then the target unit is bound. A bound unit cannot move or shoot until freed. A bound unit is freed if Gravas or the unit he is attached to moves, shoots, uses a psychic power, are engaged in close combat, or if the bound unit is engaged in close combat. Gravas can only have one unit of daemons bound at any one time. If he attempts to bind another unit of daemons, then the first unit is freed, even if the psychic test or roll to bind fail. If used on a daemonic IC attached to a non-daemon unit (or vice-versa), only the daemonic model(s) are affected. The non-daemonic model(s) may unattach during their movement phase, if allowed. In the case of retinues, all non-daemonic models may still move or shoot normally, but must maintain unit coherency with the daemonic model(s). If this would allow the unit to engage in close combat, the daemonic model(s) are freed, but may not make a charge move, nor do they count as charging if the unit charged.

Absorb the Warp: At the start of any of the DH player’s turn, this ability may be used by Octavius. If he passes his psychic test, he may roll on the Daemonhost’s psychic powers table and gains the power rolled as if he were a Daemonhost. This counts as his psychic ability for the turn. After rolling on the table, Octavius immediately suffers 1 wound without any saves possible.

Blessed Daemonhammer: This weapon counts as a masterwork Daemonhammer. If you field Gravas, then no other character in the army may have a Daemonhammer.

Wandering Radical: Gravas wanders the far edges of the Eye, using his powers to fight the incursion of Chaos, often inside the Eye itself. Few wish to join such a perilous mission, and fewer can endure the brutal ferocity of Gravas’s will and the Daemonhosts he has bound to himself. Because of this, Gravas may not have any retinue of henchmen at all. Gravas, as well, is known for his extremist radical ways. Any army including Gravas may not use any inducted SM troops, although inducted IG are still allowed.
    Note: since Inquisitors must have a retinue to have transport, Gravas may never have a transport unless he joins another unit.

Host of Gravas: Gravas has perfected the method of binding daemons inside daemonhosts and controlling them. Any army including Gravas has Daemonhosts as a 1-3 Elite choice. Note: Gravas must always have at least 1 Daemonhost choice in his army, up to a maximum of 3 elite slot choices. All rules for Daemonhosts apply as normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you want a points cost?
    i think he looks good
    not to powerful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

I have to say you did nicely with making your own character, not to hard for people and very sensible rules and for a good decent price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, very nice and interesting character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

well, since he cannot have a retinue, you may want to increase his stats slightly. he will get torn apart with his low T3.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neah its good enough, you have to have some weaknesses as well as strengths 10th Lyran. See if you can come up with one for orks dvang.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

whats orks dvang?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally speaking, I think it looks pretty good.....Im not too familiar with the Daemonhunters codex, but Im assuming that the daemonhosts would take the place of his retinue? Also, if he has artificer armour, thats likely going to artificially enhance his strength/toughness closer toward what a space marine would have, so S4 T4 might not be too unreasonable. The only thing i was wondering about was where the 5+ invulnerable save comes from. Someone correct me if im wrong, but artificer armour doesnt offer the Invul save of termie armour. That gets sacrificed to give the wearer the ability to move faster. Thus, I really think if you got rid of the invulnerable save, you could boost the strength/toughness and still have a reasonable character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

artificer armor is armor, not augmetics. it wouldn't really give him any bonuses. as for the invuln, that's provided by the refractor field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran
    artificer armor is armor, not augmetics. it wouldn't really give him any bonuses. as for the invuln, that's provided by the refractor field
    He means it doesn't have the only-consolidate rule that comes with terminator armour.

Also, a Grey Knight can instant-kill him if he's T3. S6 attacks, see. Bit dangerous for a HQ, that.
    Last edited by ze_poodle; May 8th, 2005 at 13:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast