Abhumans any good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abhumans any good?

With the new Chapter Approved Doctrines, the question is are any worth it, especially since one has to spend points on "Restricted Troops: Abhumans.""

-Nightsiders: See in night-fights. Whee...
    -Feral Ogryns: Pay an extra 5 points for a Strength 5 Ogryn with one melee attack? Eww!
    -Slave Mutants: Still judging.
    -Subs: Still judging.
    -Afriels Strain Troops: Iron Discipline is MUCH better.
    -Beastmen: This one could actually be useful. Combine it with Close Order Drill, and we have a guard Unit with Initiative 5, Strength 4 on the charge. But then again, when do Guard charge?
    -Gland Warriors: The goal of Guard is to shoot, not Fleet of Foot. Plus you're killing your own men.

At least give us something worthwhile, like maybe the ability to take Wyrds or mutant squads for elites.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't tried using these rules, but the beastmen and slave levies look interesting. A 40 or 50-man mob of beastmen with COD lead by guant could make for an interesting, albeit expensive, combat squad. The slave levies look like that they could have some real potential though. Who wouldn't like a 15-wound lascannon that can move D6" and shoot?
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
    but it rocks absolutely, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the new doctrines mainly because they present a lot more possibilities for guard armies. I personally like the afriel strain and am currently constructing my first 40k army using them. Just a matter of taste rather than play I suppose. Besides, mass-produced, cloned, well-equipped, suicidaly brave guardsmen are just way too cool. Hehe...

-peace out
    scrubout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
    With the new Chapter Approved Doctrines, the question is are any worth it, especially since one has to spend points on "Restricted Troops: Abhumans.""

-Nightsiders: See in night-fights. Whee...
    -Feral Ogryns: Pay an extra 5 points for a Strength 5 Ogryn with one melee attack? Eww!
    -Slave Mutants: Still judging.
    -Subs: Still judging.
    -Afriels Strain Troops: Iron Discipline is MUCH better.
    -Beastmen: This one could actually be useful. Combine it with Close Order Drill, and we have a guard Unit with Initiative 5, Strength 4 on the charge. But then again, when do Guard charge?
    -Gland Warriors: The goal of Guard is to shoot, not Fleet of Foot. Plus you're killing your own men.
    Haven't gottena chance to see the rules myself, but have read a bit about them.. Slave Levies, Subs, and Beastmen (that's the conscipts with furious charge, right?) all seem to be pretty good.. but I haven't read the rules on combining doctrines or the points to really be able to judge.. without knowing anything about Subs, such as point cost and what it actually does, I wonder if it can be combined with Cameleoline.. not on the conscripts, but if the cover save from the subs can be boosted with cameleoline on the platoons.

Afriel Strain sounded like it could be good.. but I'm guessing it costs way more than it's worth. Feral Ogryns is a nice touch, wouldn't call them useful, but it's cool to have a new troop choice. The rest of them are a waste, even if they are extremely cheap.
    Proud bearer of the Imperial Medal of Anti-Fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodeta
    The slave levies look like that they could have some real potential though. Who wouldn't like a 15-wound lascannon that can move D6" and shoot?
    Not to mention their 4+ semi-invulnerable save! It's better than carapace for the same cost IIRC.

I don't give much for the ogryns though, +5 points for worse ogryns with fewer options? I don't think so. I can get three squads in chimeras in a normal army (if I wanted to) and I don't think I'll ever need a whole lot more than that.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Subs are a waste. If I remember correctly, the Subs doctrince basically give your Conscripts the Gretchin special rule for cover saves (Which is, if you shoot at a mob of Orks, and there are Gretchin in front of the Orks, the Orks get a 5+ cover save. If it is failed, the Ork dies as normal. If it is passed, a Grot dies. This represents the Ork picking up a Grot and using him as a human shield, er Grot shield. Quite a humerous little rule, if you ask me.)

The stupid thing about Subs is that after spending the points upgrade to turn your Conscripts into Subs, they actually cost more than a basic Guardsman (I think they become 7 points per model at that point) So now you are using a 7 pt model as a human shield for a 6 point model. Does anyone see a problem here? Not to mention that it takes two doctrine points to make Subs.

The only abhuman doctrine that is worth anything is the Slave Levies. It effectively gives Guardsmen a 4+ invulnerable save against anything that is str 5 or lower. And the ability to move and fire as if stationary? This gives you the perfect infantry march unit. You can march forward, and still fire Lasguns, Heavy Bolters, and any other weapon at full range (though you always move as if you were in difficult terrain). Alternatively, stick a squad of these guys in 4+ cover, and now you have a pretty resilient squad of Guardsmen.

BTW, the Feral Ogrin things just plain sucks, and is obviously just another attempt to promote the shiny new WHFB army models. Pleh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I think you are rather missing the point, the use of Abhuman doctrine is more about giving an army more character, this is partly why they gave more room to background and conversion than to rules.

In any case you are missing a few bits from your points:
    Gland warriors - due to warrior weapons and hardened fighters, these are essentially assult troops, this is why they get fleet

Alfriel strain - well actually they cant take hardened disciplin, but they do get "And they shall know no fear, but at the expense of becoming the prefered enemy - but the conversion doesnt work - cadian legs, catchan torso and arms, cadian head - sounds good but the used the standing legs from the vehicle sprue which do not have the bottom of the tunic on them, standard cadian legs do have the tunic bottom and so, with a catchan torso, they will look like they are wearing a tutu unless you buy loads of vehicles just to get the same legs on every single model.

But really abhuman doctrines are not for the power gamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime
    Subs are a waste. If I remember correctly, the Subs doctrince basically give your Conscripts the Gretchin special rule for cover saves (Which is, if you shoot at a mob of Orks, and there are Gretchin in front of the Orks, the Orks get a 5+ cover save. If it is failed, the Ork dies as normal. If it is passed, a Grot dies. This represents the Ork picking up a Grot and using him as a human shield, er Grot shield. Quite a humerous little rule, if you ask me.)
    The rule is similar, but it's not the same. The subs don't take a hit if the save is made. They also never break under fire, they only get pinned. Thirdly, the cost is 30pts per unit so if you take a 50 strong unit that'll only be .6 points per model.
    The conversion looks really simple and effective too though it would be pretty expensive to convert 50+ models from metal minis.

Slave levies are still better though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still, we could use some better rules.

Wyrd: At +4 points, a Sanctioned Psyker can be upgraded to a Wyrd. A Wyrd can choose (not roll) one Minor Psyker Power (and ONLY one; no rolling for extras) that can be cast at Leadership 10.
    Ratling Gunners: At +20 points, any Heavy Weapons squad can replace its crew with Ratlings. Ratlings may not use Special Equipment or Doctrines, but are BS 4 and gain the Go To Ground option.
    Mutant Commanders: At +5 points/character, any Guard Character (except Commissars/Priests) may elect to buy up to three mutations. (Let's work costs)
    -Tentacles: Enemies in BTB lose 1 attack (min 1).
    -Crystalline Body: +1 Toughness
    -Beweaponed Extremities: May not attack with any other weapons, but count as having two CCWs at +1 Strength.
    -Acid Spittle: May forego melee attacks to make one attack that always wounds on 4+.
    -Chameleonic Skin: +1 Cover Save. Stacks with Cameloline you beardy git.
    -Skullface: Enemies in melee test leadership at -1.
    -Feel No Pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skull faces? Tentacles? Sorry, I can't read any more because I'm blinded by the great honking bonfire they're throwing all the mutants on :p
    (and slave levies already get 'Feel no pain')

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast